Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking what engine parts / sensors I should think about cleaning to ensure the engine is running properly. So far I'm thinking:

EGR - take off and clean out all soot with brake cleaner

MAP sensor - take off and clean off all soot with brake cleaner

MAF sensor - DON'T clean as it's delicate

Lamda sensor - will this need cleaning ( if so how )? Or is it best just to replace?

Any others you guys can think of?

Its for a 1.9 JTD M-Jet Sportwagon ( 16v ) 2004

cheers

:):):)

PS - this is all maintenance - the car is running fine.

L

·
0 Posts
imho, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Change the oil + filter, diesel filter + air filter, then give the car a good wash & polish

·
Registered
822 Posts
EGR valve check/clean is worth doing once a year on the diesels to avoid problems. The MAP sensor is very easy to get out clean so worth doing as well. No lambda on diesels and leave MAF alone.

Check bottom and top intake hoses (the big thick ones) for damage and impending leaks. Check the boost control hoses for splits (the ones behind radiator going to the plastic solenoid valve and turbo). Check oil cooler lines for corrosion and waxyoyl as appropriate. Check underneath for corrosion and clean/waxoyl as appropriate. Check under carpets for water leaks.

Spend ages getting air filter out and repairing air box (unless you are very lucky) :)

Keith

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks -

Keith - To clean the EGR, is it just a case of remove and brush away any excess soot, and then maybe a wash in brake cleaner?

·
Registered
822 Posts
You cannot really clean it properly without dismantling (there are lots of guides out there if you search). However, once its unbolted check the central pin pushes in easily and pops out. If its not sticky you can just pop it straight back on.

Mine was sticky and I also had a lot of gunk inside the intake manifold so ended up taking me a fair time. The car ran no differently afterwards so Lacken has a point but EGR issues are common and worth doing for peace of mind.

Keith

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Is there actually a problem, or are you just looking for something to do?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there actually a problem, or are you just looking for something to do?
:lol::lol:

I just thought it's a bit of maintenance that should be done ( at some point ) - no actual problem as far as I can see. I've done it before on my 2.4 JTD...so roughly aware of the process.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
:lol::lol:

I just thought it's a bit of maintenance that should be done ( at some point ) - no actual problem as far as I can see. I've done it before on my 2.4 JTD...so roughly aware of the process.
its very wise to do stuff like this to keep things sweet.......think its all been covered
im having brakes in bits this aft to clean em up and copperslip them before the salty winter arrives..:)

·
Registered
519 Posts
its very wise to do stuff like this to keep things sweet.......think its all been covered
im having brakes in bits this aft to clean em up and copperslip them before the salty winter arrives..:)
If you are going to strip out the rear brakes don't use copper grease on the slider pins, the lower one in particular. I did and the anti vibration rubbers swelled like ballons. Use rubber grease or the like of mintex cere tac.

·
Registered
822 Posts
100% agree. I do all my own maintenance and also have a fairly demanding job so I try to do as much as I can re preventative work in the Spring & Summer when I tend to have more time/daylight to minimise having to fix an issue in mid-winter. Its also quicker and less stressful to fix a problem eg sticky EGR if you have already been through the process once and know the car.

I just wished I had checked under my carpets in the Spring though :rolleyes:

Keith

1 - 10 of 10 Posts