Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Alfa drivers,

In the quest to keep her in top shape - parts are often required.

This month it was a brake refresh and I checked all the usual suspects:

Alfaworkshop
Carparts4less
Western Saab and alfa
Buypartsby
Shop4parts
Partsworld-uk
EB Spares
Veloces
Autolusso

Et al

And decided I'd treat her to genuine Alfa if the price was right - got the price and ordered £130 (front disc's pads and rears).

So I was slightly surprised when Pagid stuff arrived - could of got it considerably cheaper from elsewhere as my understanding Pagid in any form is not genuine Alfa.

I should also mention that finding what I thought was the best price was not a quick search. So this leads to two questions:

1: Does anyone have a clear go to place for certain equipment (or could we pull one together)?
2: What course of action would you take over the Pagid sold as genuine Alfa situation (I've emailed yesterday evening about it and am awaiting a reply)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hmm yeah I thought alfa brake pads were Magnetti Marelli?

Definitely worth an enquiry / complaint in the first instance I reckon.

Then again I don't think much to the genuine Alfa pads tbh, and just bought Mintex front + rear discs and pads for £128.....

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Most manufacturers will use many different suppliers for their "OEM" parts, usually whichever gives them the best deal when they want to buy the next batch.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it's overkill as Pagid are perfectly reasonable for use and often are what's in Magnetti boxes.

Stating them as genuine (genuine is Ricardo boxed and stamped in my mind) is in my mind a little cheeky to say the least - especially given that Pagid is the ECP regular brand at half the price.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Chris - do you also know a supplier who is regularly a safe bet for their supply?

Or for that matter anything - for example I get oil and pollen filters from HWM in Walton on Thames - without delivery they are cheaper than ECP.

I use camel track for Amazon oil prices and that brings 10w40 (everyday stuff) down to £8 for 5litres about 3 times a year.

Any other examples appreciated.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
As Rockhopper had said, OE parts can come from a variety of manufacturers & can vary over the life of the vehicle.

Having said that, if it's sold as a genuine Alfa part I'd expect it to be in an Alfa-branded box. It may be the same product, but there's no guarantee of that unless you know who the OE supplier is; even pads from the OE supplier may not be OE compound.

There is always the chance that aftermarket pads will be better than OE - manufacturers tend only to work with their preferred suppliers & the final choice is as much down to the accountants as the engineers.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
heyup, just responding to the question about suppliers:

I always get great service from shop4parts, and they usually list the part manufacturer and give options for third party before you make your choice. They can generally get other OEM bits too if you ring them.

Alfaworkshop are another I've used many times quite happily and they also list the manufacturers.

I realise they're both on your list in the first post of course! EB Spares are good too in my experience btw

Edit: and as Dave mentions surely a genuine Alfa part should come in the Fiat / Alfa Ricambio printed box?

G

·
0 Posts
Why the concern over the box is it just a matter of genuine.?as in sale terms?
If the thing in the box is the same or better for less than the dealer what is the issue?
Not moaning but if Alfa change the brand they use there is not really any such thing as standard genuine .
Oh and car parts 4 less is ECP.
Surely with this knowledge your better off buying from a factor as what it says it is is what it is more reliable than the dealer :confused:
This in mind those genuine boxes are very expensive

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I think Anthony was just questioning whether the pads were genuniely Alfa OEM parts or not, hence the references to the box.

Knowing ECP I very much doubt they're official Alfa pads but am happy to be wrong! (But equally, don't ECP also list the manufacturer of the parts?)

edit: sorry, I've got my wires crossed there haven't I. NOT purchased from ECP, correct?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correct - it about the price for what it is, I wanted and paid for my Alfa boxed items - if I wanted Pagid listed items I could have saved a fair bit by getting elsewhere.

I know that suppliers change but if your not providing an Alfa boxed item (regardless of whom is in the box) don't say it's a genuine - As I paid over the odds compared to purchasing just on price alone.

As before it's a small thing but if I order Armani and knowingly pay extra due to Armani - I don't expect to receive Armani Exchange that was actually on sale better priced elsewhere.

You should get what you agreed to pay for - I paid a premium knowingly and expect to receive that and only that.

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
Are you willing to say where you got them from?
We may be able to give an opinion if you do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Western Saab and Alfa, and the request was pricing on supply of genuine brake discs and pads. This was categorically requested and confirmed.

I should also mentioned that I only emailed my dissatisfaction yesterday evening - so am awaiting their response.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for that Spider - I was unaware of a classic line and that kinda clarifies things - especially given the car's age.

It's that kinda info that if requesting genuine I would have liked to have been told - "our classic line for older cars remain genuine equipment but are boxed differently"

Ultimately I would not have had a single second thought if that had been said prior to purchase as I'm then able to decide on full information.

Like I said - I was comparing from multiple sources and deciding based on price, brand and supplier.

G

·
0 Posts
Right were you sold OE or genuine alfa parts that's the thing.
I complete.y agree if you were sold genuine alfa parts they should have arrived in ricambo originale boxes .
I'm sorry I was not trying to be awkward .
Just send them back as not as specified .

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gibot - it seems they are genuine but boxed differently due to "classic line".

Nothing awkward about what you said - ultimately we all decide what our cars should have and I'd say knowing what I know now I am actually quite pleased with the purchase.

Wish the dealer had told me about this range though - but we live and learn.

Still would be keen for everyone to build a fairly definitive list of who to get what from though.
Did a couple of examples earlier that I use for oil / oil filters and pollen filters - so if you any suggestions please add them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts