Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered, just curious what oil folks are running in their 2.0 engines. I felt posh last year and asked my garage to get me some Selenia. Some say it's overrated overpriced and was just a marketing deal with alfa. My Engine is tight has 57000, doesnt burn much oil and I'd like to have some consistency.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I tried Selenia amongst a whole battery of oils and it seems to burn more than other 10W40s (Castrol, Shell Helix, Duckhams and even Hafords own brand have done a tour in my v6).

I think it's "thin" for a 10W40.. if there's such a concept. Some people have had gum/varnish issues but I think you get that with any oil, especially if the engine is natrurally burning a bit. I've never had any wear issues with it and you can't buy it in 5ltr containers, so it appears more expensive.

At the moment I'm using Motul 6100 Synergie + (10W40 semi synthetic) in my T/Spark. It has ACEA B4 (extra detergent) rating... because I tend to change my oil every 12,000 miles (which comes out to around every 9 months) rather than at 600m intervals ... and is quite good "on paper", compared to other 10W40 oils.

I burn aboot 0.5 litres in 12,000 miles ... My beast is a 1.8 (131,000 miles now) and the oil comes out dirty but "burnt syrup" colour rather than pitch black and it still feels springy between your fingers, so it seems to have plenty in hand for what I'm asking of it.

I thought about going to a 5W40 synthetic.. but the extra cost probably makes that dubious value for money.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
37,346 Posts
Had a few twinsparks, they seemed to run best on the 5W-40 Fully synthetic.

I used either Havoline, Motul, Shell and Gulf and all were fine.

I did try the 10w-40 as recommended and the engine just seemed every so slightly noisier on it than the 5w-40 semi, plus MPG was 1-2MPG lower during the winter.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I find that using Castrol Magnatec is the best.. My 145 has just over 100 000km and its still running tight as a drum :thumbs:

its a semi-synthetic.. Hope you come right

·
Registered
175 Posts
Since owning, I had the first oil change done with Selenia, then I read up on motor oils. A modern fully synthetic will provide superior performance and engine protection, especially during the engine warm up period. I now only use Mobil1 0W40. As good as any of the easily available fully synthetics according to the specs, and around £30 for 5 litres from Costco if you have/know someone with membership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts