Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted for a while as I've been living a nightmare with my 159.
So, since feb it needed the following
1. Oil sensor
2. Wheel bearings
3. Power steering
4. Chain drive ( think that's what it's called)
5. Window mechanism
6. Oil sensor

Needless to say - I'm a but fed up and a lot poorer. Only had the car since feb and the garage has seen it more than I have!
I really love the car- but don't trust it. What else is likely to go wrong and what is the most expensive thing that could happen?
I can't afford to change the car and it is so gorgeous it makes me smile - but any help appreciated as to what to do! Thanks, Vicki :(

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Can you confirm age mileage and engine (take it you have a petrol), should help narrow the issues.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I am in the same boat, in less than two years my car has cost me more in new parts than the car cost to buy, and that wasn't cheap. My latest woe is hail induced and looks like it will be sorted by insurance less an excess of about £400. The thought that I may have to get shot of it has been even more depressing as I cannot think of a single car that I would replace it, that I would like half as much, that wouldn't cost far more than an insurance write off cheque. I am still waiting final approval for the hail damage repair being approved but have fingers crossed that I can keep the car.

In answer to your question, I have recently needed a new radiator and a steering rack as well as a new engine....I am hoping that my qtronic gearbox continues to function perfectly as that would be another eye watering bill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Giblets 46 - 2.2 ti 09 53000 miles. Please tell me nothing else ;)
Muz, I am so in love with my car I too can't think of anything else to drive ( that's I can afford anyway!)
I've managed to get the garage to give me another 3 months on the warranty but it doesn't pay wear and tear! I've had a silly quote from Quentin Wilsons warranty site but can't face shelling out any more cash!
That said - it is worth it - I think :)

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Make sure you have your alignment set to zero, or you'll get premature tyre wear (so will save you a bit of cash on the long run), should be fairly cheap. at some point your bushes may go, hopefully not too soon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Im new to owning a 159 but mines at 93k on a 59 plate and has never batted an eye lid or put a foot wrong.

Am I right in saying you either get a good one or a bad one?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Im new to owning a 159 but mines at 93k on a 59 plate and has never batted an eye lid or put a foot wrong.

you're new - there is plenty of time for you yet!!

·
Registered
4,750 Posts

To be fair the majority of the issues are well known: suspension bushes, timing chain or EGR, flaky paint, inside front tyre wear and steering fluid. Several of which are cheap fixes if you catch them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
the wiper blade issue is 'known' too but people don't mention it often
as is some sort of brake problem, seized calipers or some kind of hand brake problem...

C

·
0 Posts
Must have a good one

I have had my 159 for over four years and only have had problems with the front suspension bushes which were fixed under warranty by an excellent AR garage in North Yorkshire.
Am I tempting fate?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts