Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself in a quandary (no, not a cheap Chinese SUV, perish the thought...). I have a couple of older Alfas (a GT and a Brera Spider), both of which are not reliable enough to depend on for everyday use (electrics for one thing...), plus the maintenance costs are a bit silly, especially on the GT, where I'm sure I've spent far more than it would fetch if I sold it. I've started thinking about a replacement and that's where it gets difficult. I don't need a four door saloon and I definitely do not want or need an SUV, so that rules out Alfa Romeo, at least a recent one. This made me look at what's out there and made me think. If you don't want an SUV, the choices are limited. A smallish hatchback would be nice, but they are all five doors, apart from Mini. We seem to be in the middle of an SUV craze; they are everywhere, much the way about fifteen years ago we were knee deep in MPVs (People Carriers). What happened to the stylish, affordable coupes they everyone seemed to make? Yes, all right, I confess, I like coupes. I know it was years ago, but Ford's Capri was a favourite, that is until Del Boy got one... Alfa's GT was the nearest modern car of this type, which is why I've had two, but something newer would be nice. I liked the 4C, but it was a bit too expensive and I couldn't bend enough to get in it...A more modern equivalent would be nice, but I'm guessing I'm a lone voice here...Maybe once the merger of FCA and PSA goes through, Peugeot might redesign their RCZ and call it an Alfa Romeo. Purists will scream at the indignity. I won't hold my breath though. In the meantime, it's out with the multimeter to see why the GT won't go.....

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,879 Posts
I’m sort of in the same boat as you. You can have - tongue in cheek - an SUV, or an SUV. Luckily, if you don’t like SUVs, you can have an SUV 😁

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
A BRZ or GT86 tick a lot of boxes. Yes, I know they're Japanese, but they are excellent driver's cars.
Abarth 124 Spider to replace the Alfa.
Also Audi A5 coupe (tad boring?) or current style S Line TT.
Nowhere near as good looking as my Alfa Spider, but some of the options I've considered. But I still have the Alfa...
Funnily enough I've also thought the other way and considered an old, cheap GT. A low mileage and good hsitory 59/60-plate petrol in Atlantico Blue would certainly get my attention.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can't you just get a Giulietta QV? If you had to stay with the brand.

I'd agree a GT86 might be a nice choice but I've no idea if Toyota ownership will wear thin after awhile, call me a badge snob but I've never owned anything for as long as my Alfa!

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Agree with the Giulietta. It may have 4/5 doors but you don't have to use them. In my case the rear seat space comes in useful for the boxes of wine on the return from Verona each September, the boot being full of suitcases.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
Seat Leon ST
BMW 1 series
BMW 2 series
VW Golf
VW Scirocco

I am always asking myself what car I would like next. I would also like to be able to get another Alfa, but already have one Giulietta (One is enough) and anything newer is still more than I am willing to spend.

Fiat also don't seem to be building much of interest either at the moment, but there are a fair few medium sized 3 door cars from other marques.

I know German cars get a lot of hatred here, but I don't generally have a problem with them. I would choose one over a Vauxhall or most things French.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Seat Leon ST
BMW 1 series
BMW 2 series
VW Golf
VW Scirocco

I am always asking myself what car I would like next. I would also like to be able to get another Alfa, but already have one Giulietta (One is enough) and anything newer is still more than I am willing to spend.

Fiat also don't seem to be building much of interest either at the moment, but there are a fair few medium sized 3 door cars from other marques.

I know German cars get a lot of hatred here, but I don't generally have a problem with them. I would choose one over a Vauxhall or most things French.
Yes don't go French or Vauxhall... I've hated French cars since I had two hugely bad Citroens but then again this an Alfa forum :D

Your choices are only really two cars in reality as they share common platforms! Would say find a nice Fiat Panda 100hp but I drove one and thought it was hugely overrated. If I had to go cheap I'd get a Mazda 6, plenty around and they're worth nothing second hand but are meant to be pretty decent.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
I work with someone who has a Mazda 6 and he has had lots of issues with it. Plus Mazda have tended to make rusty cars over the last few years.

Not a fan of the Fiat panda personally, I can see why some might like it, but it looks like a box on wheels and isn't very fast.

·
Registered
428 Posts

Not mine but came across it after reading you post and thought it suited. 5 doors but looks like a 2 door, many times when giving someone a lift they think it's a 2 door.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've got a couple of ideas, not from Europe so it's some variety to what has already been suggested.

Something that's a bit different, not an SUV or has 4 doors per se. A Hyundai Veloster. I have no idea on Hyundai's brand strength in the UK, but down under they are quite common (well not the Veloster, but other Hyundai's at least).

Honda CR-Z. I don't know if they were marketed in the UK. They are interesting sort of things.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Very few modern cars appeal to me at all....even if I had a big budget.......all so bland looking compare to older cars. And electric have largely taken the fun out of driving even powerful cars. One of the many reasons I like older cars without all the modern stuff weighing them down and proper steering feel.
Even the Giulia is a 3 Series clone (almost literally) and nothing stunning in the looks dept (even compared to my old 159)...but its about the best looking of a bad bunch.

If you want a coupe then I agree with lussoman....not much choice but the GT86/BRZ is about the best of the bunch....just needs another 100 horse or so!
They dont make coupes no for one reason....not enough people want to buy them.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
"They dont make coupes no for one reason....not enough people want to buy them."
And that is because they have fallen for the manufacturer's advertising which has convinced them they need an SUV.
A real chicken or egg situation.
However I wonder if the manufacturer's thinking is that it is easer to shift metal by persuading the market it wants something different rather than a more modern version of the same. If so roll on market saturation of SUVs and we might see coupes making a comeback

·
Registered
104 Posts
Loads of soft roaders or semi coupe like cars. I know Alfa stuff like the 156 and Giulietta did the whole coupe-like thing but all the cross overs now are silly.

Seems like there are few out and out cheaper sports cars and just mildly warm stuff that is jacked up so people can get in and out easier... I had to rent a Kia Stonic whilst my 156 had it's alternator fixed, nice enough and I can see it's appeal but it really felt like a car for someone who didn't care about cars. Nothing "bad" about it and actually decent to use but it felt so bland. Don't get me started on the new Ford Puma, i owned the original and the current model is like an all year round April's Fool.

·
Registered
428 Posts
A friend just brought a Mercedes GLC which seems like a SUV in a coupe body but with 5 door practicality.

He used to like sports cars before having a family and living in a city it's probably all the performance he needs and it looks nice. Probably a majority of buyers with the means to buy new will be in a similar position hence I doubt 2 door coupes will be coming back.

The Ford Puma and Audi TT are now crossovers (mini SUV). Which is a shame.

So I don't think coupes are going to be profitable going forwards

·
Registered
104 Posts
I remember the earlier cross over type vehicles. That Audi A6 thing with the big grey plastic bits and jacked up tyres, then BMW started bringing out the X6, Merc with the CLS and now everyone is making weird hybrids.

I used to work somewhere that had a few Mini Clubmans and to look at they are disgusting as they are frankly NOT "mini" in anything but name but they are easy to drive, have plenty of space and are comfortable. The S electric hybrids are even extremely fast until they hit naughty speeds.

Maybe Alfa is late with the Stelvio, maybe they should make smaller versions of it to?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Perhaps an overlooked Car is a Suzuki Swift Sport, previous model, not the newer one. old school Hot(ish) Hatch available in 2 or 4 doors, revvy little 16v 1.6 normally aspirated engine and good handling. Backed up by bullet proof reliability. You don't see them on every street corner either. What the Mito should have been in my mind.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Perhaps an overlooked Car is a Suzuki Swift Sport, previous model, not the newer one. old school Hot(ish) Hatch available in 2 or 4 doors, revvy little 16v 1.6 normally aspirated engine and good handling. Backed up by bullet proof reliability. You don't see them on every street corner either. What the Mito should have been in my mind.
I personally like both the MK1 and MK2 Swift Sports but they are simply too slow for my tastes now. Everything is either a diesel torque monster or turbo charged so a 1.6 NA will feel gutless. It'll have to be very, very good around bends to overcome that issue. I had an old MK1 Toyota MR2, awesome little 120bhp mid engined car but ordinary traffic was as fast or faster than you which led me to sell it on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts