Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering going back to a GT (Blackline if possible). I need to know what MPG I can expect. I am a bit of a sipper and have been managing to scrape 39/40 out of my 2.4 159 Ti at the moment, but the car's just too dear for me and I could do with getting the money (what's left) back out of it and putting it else where..

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I get about 600 miles to a full tank (64/65 litres I can squeeze in if really low), works out to low 40's. Mixture of town/commute and a relaxed but not anal driving style. Don't take any notice of the on-board computer, it's never accurate. Only way to confirm your economy is to fill 'er up, reset the trip counter, drive till empty, fill 'er up again and do the sums.

I really made an effort once and managed 650 miles, but it was too much like hard work, I'd rather just drive it.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
60 Posts
Low 40's for me also.

My driving mostly consists of a short commute to work, mixed in with a motorway journey once or twice a week.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My fill-ups since i got my GT are on my fuelly counter below - I've done 14 total, but only 13 are tracked because i missed one when my car went in to the garage. My journey is 107 miles a day which is along the M27 and up the A3.

Highest is 50.4 and lowest is 44.1 - I basically wanted to see what sort of style driving would show what figures - Hitting 50mpg was always about grannying it (62 and only slightlyhigher when coming across lorries), 44mpg has been motorway speeds and occasionally then some :tut:

I reckon that if i took it steady and didn't feel the urge to blast it some times, that it'd be about 47mpg average every time. But you've got to spice up that journey every day somehow :)

What sort of journeys do you do in the 159?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm considering going back to a GT (Blackline if possible). I need to know what MPG I can expect. I am a bit of a sipper and have been managing to scrape 39/40 out of my 2.4 159 Ti at the moment, but the car's just too dear for me and I could do with getting the money (what's left) back out of it and putting it else where..

Thanks guys.
I'm getting 42 mpg with mixed motorway and town driving - I always drive like it should be driven, "Spirited"

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Erm... 37ish.

·
Registered
854 Posts
No,no,no,no....what next, how many cup holders do you have ? MPG figures and torques, that's all you soot blowers go on about isn't it ?. Your oil burning machinery belongs in agricultural vehicles, 3rd world mass transit systems and irrigation pumps. Sat there all smug, clattering away at the lights, in your self made particulant clouds sterilising the good men of the UK in the process.
Combustion without spark is the devils work, the GT is a gorgeous thing,but to hear one of yours clatter and rattle into life on a cold morning all but destroys the romance only an Alfa Romeo can bring. Gentlemen please, I impeach you, spurn derv, shun the gas oil, say so what to MPG, get a friend to hold your cups and join us in burning the good lords fuel..PETROLEUM.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
24,000 miles a year forced me into it.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Mine's telling me 33.6 mpg over the last 787.2 miles from driving with a :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
No,no,no,no....what next, how many cup holders do you have ? MPG figures and torques, that's all you soot blowers go on about isn't it ?. Your oil burning machinery belongs in agricultural vehicles, 3rd world mass transit systems and irrigation pumps. Sat there all smug, clattering away at the lights, in your self made particulant clouds sterilising the good men of the UK in the process.
Combustion without spark is the devils work, the GT is a gorgeous thing,but to hear one of yours clatter and rattle into life on a cold morning all but destroys the romance only an Alfa Romeo can bring. Gentlemen please, I impeach you, spurn derv, shun the gas oil, say so what to MPG, get a friend to hold your cups and join us in burning the good lords fuel..PETROLEUM.[/QUOTE

Each to there own pal, I own a Spider as well and I get about 24mpg but that's not what the Spider is all about, the GT Cloverleaf is all about mpg!

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Get about 39, glad I only have the second heaviest right foot on the forum! Must be something about the 170 in blue...
I can only dream of 39...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine averages 41 mpg, thats 5 trips to work and back each week, 10 miles each way and 1 return trip to Cardiff each week at about 90-95mph on a clear road, I do not drive for fuel economy :)

I did try it out once from Swindon to Cardiff, set the cruise control to 60mph and got 59mpg over the 75 mile trip, but it was a boring drive lol

·
Registered
268 Posts
I easily get 55 out of mine, I drove from cork to where I live (about 320km). I put 50 euro into it and it used less than quarter of a tank. I wasn't even driving economically. First diesel ever and Im impressed, especially by the turbo in it. only a 1.9 but has the bigger turbo from the 2.4 in it Thank you previous owner!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
My GT Q2 managed a combined of 42mpg across the 20K miles and 1 months I had it.

And as to Chelsea Paul's eloquent comment, the only group of people I know that could afford to run a petrol car over the mileage that I and many on here do are the footballers you support. Us mere mortals don't have bottomless pits of bank accounts and so have to live in the real world.

Ideally I wouldn't drive a derv, have never "loved" them, and never will. But, needs must and as far as the future holds I will be driving a tractor engined Alfa.
Also, without the number of derv Alfas that have been sold over the past 10 years, there would be NO SUCH THING AS ALFA ROMEO NOW. Simple economics, they would have gone bump a long time ago. So bear with us as we have pretty much managed to keep the marque as a going concern when others have died a painful automotive death. For the time being anyway.

Oh, and my 1.9jtdm Q2 would pretty much trounce most other petrol cars on normal roads. And still give me 550+ miles per tank. So ner ner........

·
Registered
510 Posts
My 05 JTD regularly gave me high 40s and even hit 53 once or twice. I managed over 700 miles out of one tank on a long cruise from Wales to Scotland and back. My latest 08 gives low 40s and I'm generally filling up around the 600 mile mark.

Hooning around I leave for the GTA, but I guess we can't all have our cake and eat it.:D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts