Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like to know what I can do to my GTV to increase performance? I won't be able to do everything as suggested but would like to know what I still can do to make it go better. I'm not sure of all the mods done but it goes like stink and I know what has not yet been done:

Exhaust manifold cats are still in place
Standard air filter is in place
Exhaust system could be improved in my opinion
I know cams are GTA 2 spec on inlet only with standard 3.2 exhaust cams
Compression is 11:1
Headwork includes gasflowing, porting and valves
Thicker inlet tubes (the chrome pipes) are fitted (easily visible when compared to other 3.2's)
No true details of other mods although a previous owner spoke of balancing amd blueprinting been done
Suspension has been sorted 100%
Brakes are still 305mm but uprated drilled discs are fitted. Would like it to feel like the 159's though!
Clutch is standard GTA/GTV 3.2 with no problems and good drive
ASR has been disabled after fitting the Q2 but ABS and BAS still works perfectly

What more can I do? No sign of piggyback chip, and ecu shows the software hasn't been tampered with even though I doubt that. Turbocharging will not be considered for now. Any advice?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Well you said it, start with exhaust, an expensive imported one

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
what GTA outlet cams?
remember all oe outlet cams ar the same.
1 branch and exhaust.
2 depending on the answer to my question gta1 outlet cam.
3 drop in filter.
4 uni q.

the motor will be balanced with the work that was done.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Tn the exhuast cams are standard 3.2 according to my knowledge. It has been balanced too when it was blueprinted. What filter will be best, and should the airbox remain standard?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Regarding the exhaust: it is a 63mm system with center cats out. All lambda probes are in the correct orientation but it still has two ytansverse boxes and one before each set of quad exhausts. What should the optimum setup be? Could I fir one larhe central box and delete the twisty section at the back and fit a smaller box before each pair of quads?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Standard air box is fine. Drop in filter... You can enlarge the plenum, but there is no real benefit in bigger throttle. Bmc is best
CAR FILTERS FB154/06 | BMC AIR FILTERS

You can work a bit in removing the resonators and smooth the air path. Then a fair whack of gain in exhaust.
Gertie why does the list of "available for" include both the TS and the V6? my understanding is that they're different sizes.

I would like to get one of these for my Spider.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
They are the same.
you c an use a 156 unit as well but you have to fit a spacer at the bottom to locate the filter properly.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hey Tn the exhuast cams are standard 3.2 according to my knowledge. It has been balanced too when it was blueprinted. What filter will be best, and should the airbox remain standard?
Ok so it is the standard v6 24v outlet cam I will definitely reprofire that to GTA 1 since in my opinion the outlet is the limiting factor on the motor. (emission control).

As said before there is no such think as a oe GTA (3.2) outlet cam they are all the same unless reprofiled to GTA inlet
Specifications.

If you can take or have clear pictures of the cams we can identify them.

The airbox is perfect you can change the feed pipe a bit to assist with fresh air entering the airbox if you really want to.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Thanks guys. Regarding the exhaust: it is a 63mm system with center cats out. All lambda probes are in the correct orientation but it still has two ytansverse boxes and one before each set of quad exhausts. What should the optimum setup be? Could I fir one larhe central box and delete the twisty section at the back and fit a smaller box before each pair of quads?
i like the twisty bits since it give the pipe more length which definitely make it sound more refined.
Where do the two pipes collect?
I prefer that they collect as far back as possible. Well that worked best on my 3.2.
I know the old people want to collect as soon as possible but then it sounds like a Ford and performs crap.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Gertie why does the list of "available for" include both the TS and the V6? my understanding is that they're different sizes.

I would like to get one of these for my Spider.
I'm not sure - I know the 156 V6 use the cylindrical filter - not sure about the 2.0TS, but according to EPER it is all cylindrical - the housing looks a bit different, but not the element - the 147 uses a panel filter:
CAR FILTERS FB272/01 | BMC AIR FILTERS
So does the 145 / 146 etc:
CAR FILTERS FB100/01 | BMC AIR FILTERS

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Interesting thread Ian, Gertie I've not read all the TB threads on here but I'm sure the increased TB size will increase power?

Ian if you are running away from tuned Cupras then you definitely have a beast there, but what more can be done that will satisfy your hunger for more power, as a filter won't make a day/night difference?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Interesting thread Ian, Gertie I've not read all the TB threads on here but I'm sure the increased TB size will increase power?

Ian if you are running away from tuned Cupras then you definitely have a beast there, but what more can be done that will satisfy your hunger for more power, as a filter won't make a day/night difference?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
No lance TB is large enough on the Alfa’s
Larger plenum yes the 3.2’s short about 1L capacity but TB is down to bragging rights and that is it.
Look at the amount of air the oe TB can flow work out what the 3.2 with cams need at 7500rpm and only if that shows that it is to small change it.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I would suggest drop in filter to start, i have an Autodelta filter. But, the power gain will not be significant, you will just have a smoother rev.

Exhaust side, i have no cats at all. So, would suggest removing yours. i have 50mm downpipes, which collect just after the flexes, then it goes into a 76mm to the front box (very small) then continues 76mm until the centre box which goes out 63mm to the quads, complete system has 2 boxes.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Well there you go...Get the bigger plenum made!Have you guys managed to make a universal plenum though? A carbon one?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
No carbon is again for bragging rights aluminium is for the real world at affordable prices.
Yes we are working on one.
It is currently on my brother-in-law’s 3.2 and as soon as we are happy that it works we can look at options and costs.
Response seems better and it pulls a lot harder especially at high rpm +/- 8000

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
what is it with me and bragging today?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts