Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps,

I often change down and blip but sometimes i have to plant the throttle to get the revs up - so not quite a blip!

What mods do i have to do to make the rev count rise quicker?
To start with I think a performance air filter i suppose? a Remap, what else specifically to make it rev quicker?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Is it a VVC engine - 120bhp? if so, in standard trim it should rev hard and fast, a remap will NOT help, you would have some other problem like a faulty MAF or choked air filter.

·
Registered
13,259 Posts
You have to be in the right gear.

If you just put your foot down in 5th from 30mph then that 1.6 is going to take longer than an ice age to build some revs.

A bigger engine would also rev more easily.. it's torque that you need if you want more shove.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Apart from the usual mod's i.e to make it breathe easier, a lightened flywheel will makle a lot of difference, make the rev's rise & drop easier.
Try Autodelta as they do a range of flywheel's etc.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
New airfilter/induction kit. New exhaust (tuned for power, not noise). Lightened flywheel would make the biggest difference.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I do not reccomend a lightened flywheel on the 1.6 litre.

It should rev well enough and has little enough momentum at low revs without lightening the flywheel.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Why would you want to lighten the flywheel of a 1.6? :eek: Not worth it IMO. I would just make sure you have a good induction and exhaust.

Just make sure you keep it over 3000RPM. If you don't like the lack of power below 3000 then remap it.

OA

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
If you simply want it to rev quicker get a lightened flywheel. I believe that Allitalia in Wrexham can obtain them (01978 757588) :)

·
Vendor
47,383 Posts
I think the OP is talking about the revs rising too slowly when blipping the throttle on a downchange. You're technically in neutral (between gears) when you blip it on a downchange, so revs should rise really quick. If they don't something is amiss, MAF would be my first suggestion.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Oh I see - its not really mods he's after, more servicing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A lightened flywheel will make a huge difference. The only potential downside apart from the cost of fitting, is that it might make the car slightly more jerky in traffic as you wouldn't have the greater mass and inertia of the bigger flywheel to help even out the gearchanges or throttle.

·
Registered
640 Posts
A bigger engine would also rev more easily.. it's torque that you need if you want more shove.
Not necessarily. An engine with lighter internals will always rev quicker than a big capacity engine.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the OP is talking about the revs rising too slowly when blipping the throttle on a downchange. You're technically in neutral (between gears) when you blip it on a downchange, so revs should rise really quick. If they don't something is amiss, MAF would be my first suggestion.
Yep your spot on with what im trying to achieve, blipping while in neutral, for example when im in 5th (at 50mph/60mph) and want 4th (sometimes 3rd) - I blip (in nuetral or with a dipped clutch) but the revs doesnt rise as much as i would like it to, so sometimes I gota plant it).

The car does get serviced when it should do and I regularly check over the engine. But I will find out if the MAF is causing it to be a bit 'sticky'. Because im sure the revs did rise quicker when my car was younger! (its on 52k now)

The lightened flywheel sounds interesting but I guess it would only hamper the torque on a 1.6 as some ppl have suggested.

-My next car will have a bigger engine! -as some ppl suggested.

I will put a sport air filter and then a performance exhaust on the list of 'car to do's'

·
Vendor
47,383 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem to get the revs to rise ona downchange, I don't think a lightened flywheel is at all necessary. If the car isn't revving up quick something must be amiss. I even blip the throttle on my JTD on a downchange and it the engine speed rises at a very good rate. If you need to 'plant' the throttle in neutral to get the revs to rise on a downchange something is definitely not right.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Sounds like the MAF to me too. Has it ever been replaced??

You can put a lightened flywheel on a 1.6, i mean, it is a popular tuning mod on a 1.2 8v punto!! and that has half the HP.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
A lightened flywheel isn't a good idea on a 1.6. It'll make it much easier to stall and a real PITA in traffic.
couldnt agree more there! got one on mine (titanium) and its a ***** crawling in 1st gear, thankfully the selespeed can sit in traffic in 2nd all day long which seems to work a bit better, if not reducing consumption but hey, cant have everything!

i totally agree with what is being said about the MAF here... however i would also suggest a good intake system (BMC CDA for example) and a free flowing exhaust followed by a remap, COULD see an increase of up to 17-18bhp if done correctly and the engine will rev a lot more freely. cost wise tho you'd be looking 750+ i would guess. (275 remap, 200 CDA, 375 exhaust ish)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts