Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Having posted a video on You tube under the heading Alfa 33 T.i Veloce,I was surprised to see a comment from Iain about it not being such.:tut: Not wishing to get into any argument with anyone,least of all Iain,who has a cracking example,it states Veloce on the log book and original sales invoice from the dealer:thumbs: If so,then,what makes it a Veloce?

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Veloce = Italian, from Latin vlx, vlc = rapid

but by the same standards, all the Ti models should be veloce's ( 105bhp's ) instead of the standard, older 33 which was 95 bhp.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
i used to have a f reg 33 1.7 veloce which came with the big bumpers like ians i thoughts only they were veloce 33s and one with small bumpers were not .
here is a pic of my old veloce with the big bumpers.

and my mate alans old yellow one

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Veloce's were basically 33 T.i's modified by ALFA G.B at Dover then shipped to the dealers.I can remember seeing the 33 Veloce's when they were new at our local dealers C.H Phillips in Abergavenny.They usually had a Zenders bodykit fitted with rear and front spoilers.
Check out the original brochure pictures that I got with my car.:thumbs: All on my photobucket album

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
:rant: I have also uploaded the difference between a T.i and Veloce which shows clearly the side skirts and spoilers.These were taken from the original 1987 brochure.For those who might seek further proof,check out the photo of my 33's registration document.:wow:
Pictures by Johnkyrle - Photobucket
Dont get upset buddy, I could be wrong :eek:

If you take the 156 for example there was the Lusso and Veloce models if I'm not mistaken but in our market the same cars came as Exclusive and Distinctive. Again I could be wrong about the names but I never dug into it to see why :rolleyes:

·
Registered
932 Posts
i used to have a f reg 33 1.7 veloce which came with the big bumpers like ians i thoughts only they were veloce 33s and one with small bumpers were not .
here is a pic of my old veloce with the big bumpers.

and my mate alans old yellow one
Thats exactly what I was told when I bought mine 17 odd years ago Pat.Sorry john if i have upset you , but even the 75 veloce had big bumpers not zender or small "standard" ones, I may very well be wrong though as I do not have the info you have but I have never seen a Veloce with a veloce sticker on the back ? Has anyone else?.:confused:

·
Registered
347 Posts
There were two types of kit - both made by Zender I think. The 'big bumpered' version as per Iain's car (where the bumpers took the same styling cues as the kit fitted to the 75) and a more subtle kit - without the 'cooling' slots in the bumper. I'll look on Google images...

·
Registered
347 Posts
This is the first Zender kit (same as in John's photo album) - I think it was available for 12 months until the 75 and then the 33 kit was updated. Pretty sure any kitted version was called a Veloce:-

Attachments

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Yeah but werent the big bumpers optional ?

I was quite young but I remember that the 1.7 ti came with those bumpers as an optional extra . Also the sideskirts and differrent alloys. That didnt change the name of the car though.... did it ? :confused:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember these cars when they were new. The 1.5Ti Veloce came with the big bumper kit, the 1.7 came with the Zender kit. These were UK only models with the kits being fitted by the then UK importer (TKM at Dover if memory serves me correctly). Neither car had any Veloce badging fitted. There were no other differences to the standard models. The Ti Veloce had plastic wheel trims as standard and the 5 spoke revolution alloys were optional. The same Revolution alloys were also an option on the 1.7 Veloce. A Sprint Veloce model was also available with a Zender kit and again the Revolution alloys were an option.

There was also a limited run model of the 1.5 Ti called the Amica which came in white only with the big bumper bodykit and had colour coded white wheel trims and a few basic extras.

I bought the Zender rear spoiler for my series 1 1.3 33 and as it came unpainted I left it like that and fitted it to my car. It was made of black rubber and matched my unpainted bumpers. I remember it being a pretty solid and heavy item.

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Ah yes ! But the Sprint Veloce has a badge ! :p

So basically what you are saying is that the import company is the one who actually "made" the veloce models ?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The original chrome bumper model Sprints you refer to did come with Veloce badging as they were factory models. The later plastic bumper Sprints did not come from the factory as Veloces hence why there was no Veloce badging on them.

The Veloce name was resurrected (in the UK at least) by the importer to broaden the model range they could offer as they were only selling the 1.5Ti and 1.7 Cloverleaf variants here of the 33 along with the 1.7 Sportwagon. They didn't import the other engines available to other markets nor did they opt to bring in the 4x4 models. The 1.3S for example never made it to the UK. The Veloce tag was cheapened as a result of this marketing exercise as it only meant the cars were fitted with a bodykit and that was fitted by TKM at their import centre. There were no performance upgrades whatsoever. Somewhat surprisingly the Veloce models seemed to be popular. The UK importer also chose to drastically limit the colour range available on the car so it could only be bought in white, red, black, silver and metallic grey. Other markets had a wider choice of colours from the factory. The series one had been available in a similarly restricted range of colours - white, red, ivory, metallic green and silver were the only options for the 1.3 and 1.5 models. The Series 1 1.5 Green Cloverleaf was only ever sold in red, silver or metallic grey.

I always preferred the standard 1.7 Cloverleaf model though I could understand buyers opting for the Ti Veloce as the standard 1.5 Ti had unpainted bumpers and looked pretty plain with a spec level that was less than generous and a price tag that was pretty high for what by then was an outdated car compared to more modern competitors.

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
thanks for the info Isuk :)

it seems like the dealerships then did a lot of DIY jobs.

Over here they fitted the electric windows, radio, speakers and air conditioning on later 33's at the dealership.

The reason for doing this was because they could get the car cheaper from the factory if it didnt have these things and it would be even cheaper for them to install them themselfs.
Thus more profit for them and more headache for us :rant:

Needless to say that they did a rubbish job installing these parts, especially the air condition.

While we are on the badging subject, does anyone know what the "S" stands for on the 16v 33 ?
The only difference this car had from the rest 16v's was the speedline alloy wheels and maybe a bit lower suspension

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:wow: Thanks isuk,that is exactly what did happen.My uncle used to be a franchise for ALFA G.B and it was basically to broaden the range.Don't forget,bodykits,sunroofs etc.,were big business back in the eighties (god,I sound old).No offence taken at all,it seems that no-one I ever speak to or see's the bloody thing,knows what it is,which can get annoying,sorry Iain.:) Is your SII a Veloce?How does it differ from mine?;)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Er no John mines is the only 1 of 2 remaining Amica's I believe left in this country, it came with the optional 13" 5 spoke revolutions and a small boot spoiler, 1.5 engine (long gone by the wayside) , and bloody awful single front brake disc's (non-vented and bendix caliper's obviously a way of cutting cost down elsewhere). A black pin go faster stripe and the dreaded Alfa control unit (still has this , I have yet to figure out a bypass for the rear brake lights). Think thats it, anyway this is proving to be a most informative thread don't you think!.:lol:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
thanks for the info Isuk :)

it seems like the dealerships then did a lot of DIY jobs.

Over here they fitted the electric windows, radio, speakers and air conditioning on later 33's at the dealership.

The reason for doing this was because they could get the car cheaper from the factory if it didnt have these things and it would be even cheaper for them to install them themselfs.
Thus more profit for them and more headache for us :rant:

Needless to say that they did a rubbish job installing these parts, especially the air condition.

While we are on the badging subject, does anyone know what the "S" stands for on the 16v 33 ?
The only difference this car had from the rest 16v's was the speedline alloy wheels and maybe a bit lower suspension
As far as I know the S stands for sport. Overhere the difference were the nice Recaro seats and the Nardi steering wheel. Almost all P4's sold here and in Germany were S models.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Er no John mines is the only 1 of 2 remaining Amica's .
iain i nearly got a amica years ago but just missed out on it .
i have had a lot of 33s from a b reg greencloverleaf in silver.
a f reg 1.5 ti veloce in black,a f reg 1.5 ti veloce 33 in red and my favourite a f reg 1.7 ti veloce in metallic grey with the 5 spoke revolutions.
i have also seen alfa 33 1.7 veloces in champange gold colour was that a limited edition.
i must admit i prefer the earlier carb 33s expecially the veloce to the 16v versions.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pat,

The champagne gold was a standard range colour on the series two. My apologies on this as I'd forgotten about that colour. I think it relaced the silver that was offered on the series 1 cars. I had all the sales brochures up until I moved house 3 years ago and they ended up in the recycling bin which was a pity after I'd managed to keep them all in as new condition for 15 to 20 years :cry:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts