Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
The ones on my GT are quite nice (but mine haven't broken...yet).

And I used to like the 'hidden' ones on both my 156's.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
To look at, I like the hidden rear handles and the 'retro' push-button front door handles on the 156. The fact that they face up to catch the water and require a push AND pull action makes them less practical than the pull handles on my merc. :)

·
Registered
39,445 Posts
To look at, I like the hidden rear handles and the 'retro' push-button front door handles on the 156. The fact that they face up to catch the water and require a push AND pull action makes them less practical than the pull handles on my merc. :)
The Giulietta has an evolution of the 156 handle but in the form of the "strap" handle the Mercedes uses. The shape of this handle is just the right balance of rounded section with some detail. I vote this my favourite especially in the original satin finish.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
The Giulietta has an evolution of the 156 handle but in the form of the "strap" handle the Mercedes uses. The shape of this handle is just the right balance of rounded section with some detail. I vote this my favourite especially in the original satin finish.
Sounds good!
I'll try a few Giulietta handles tonight :yikes:

:wink_org:

:)

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,622 Posts
the 156's are a treat for sure.

we should start a poll: do you prefer lift, pull or push door handles :)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
No contest, on a reasonably modern car it's the beautiful long oval shape of an S2,3 and 4 Alfa spider. So lovely it was also used on Ferrari Daytona and 412. Spoilt only by the fact it was made in Mazak, a horribly soft alloy that starts pitting after about 3 years outdoors.

But a close run thing for the handles on the 1950's touring bodied Alfa 1900 (also used on a range of Zagato and super exclusive cars) which is an incredibly slim and delicate 'pull' flush with the door. You push a little button, the lever pops out, you pull it and you're in.

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Has to be the 156.

Never again executed with such innovation and style.

The 147 front handles were quite meaty. "Hidden" rears look ****
on a 5 door.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
R5
no exterior handle, just a pull lever on the side with a finger access recess.

I'm sure selvis loves that one too!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
the 156's are a treat for sure.

we should start a poll: do you prefer lift, pull or push door handles :)
For practicality, it has to be pull; door open in one smooth action with one digit.
Push buttons can look cool, perhaps due to the nostalgic element...
"Form follows function" is perhaps not a hard and fast rule for Alfa designers - hence the 156 front handles :)

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,622 Posts
No contest, on a reasonably modern car it's the beautiful long oval shape of an S2,3 and 4 Alfa spider. So lovely it was also used on Ferrari Daytona and 412.
that's a good call, for sure - but i don't think the Daytona used them. From memory, it used those slim tabs like on the Ferrari 308 that you pulled toward you. Can't remember now if they were located vertically or horizontally on the Daytona.

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
Fiat Barchetta ones are very nice. The 156 is a given. Coming right up to date, the completely flush handles on a Tesla S are pretty cool.

Reactions: cue2

·
Registered
39,445 Posts
Fiat Barchetta ones are very nice. The 156 is a given. Coming right up to date, the completely flush handles on a Tesla S are pretty cool.
The Tesla ones have lights under them that come on when the handles come out. The neighbour opposite has one and it's kinda spooky. Better than the BMW version where the light stays in the recess.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
On my travels today I found myself for the first time in my life giving careful attention to car door handles.

Most are pretty meh. The ugliest I saw were on a modern Land Rover (ugly great rectangular lumps! Was too offended to note the exact Tata model).
The vast majority are pull type and body coloured with varying degrees of naffness.

I have to say that my favourite handle of the day is in fact that of the Giulietta, as described and nominated above by cue2. Elegant, practical and not ‘body coloured’.

·
Registered
39,445 Posts
On my travels today I found myself for the first time in my life giving careful attention to car door handles.

Most are pretty meh. The ugliest I saw were on a modern Land Rover (ugly great rectangular lumps! Was too offended to note the exact Tata model).
The vast majority are pull type and body coloured with varying degrees of naffness.

I have to say that my favourite handle of the day is in fact that of the Giulietta, as described and nominated above by cue2. Elegant, practical and not ‘body coloured’.
The Fiat 500 handle is very similar but the cut between moving handle and escutcheon bit is angled on this but not the Alfa. ( I just checked)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts