Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Boxer in 1.7 16V form - fitted to a 33 mind, not a big heavy old 145/146.

Why?..the revs, the noise, the ability to make dogs (and their owners) jump through hedges when you go past them on overrun and they think someone is shooting at them :lol:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Any diesel, the noise and soot are wonderful :lol:

:elaugh:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
LPG Mito :thumbs:

JOKES

Nah has to be a Busso, but jokes aside the diesels aren't that bad, pretty decent if anything.

Salute, Giordano.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Not many replies to this thread perhaps because the answer for me is too obvious. The Busso V6 is widely regarded as one of the best engines of any make by many in the motoring world. Sorry for being the first to state the obvious.
I might also add that most Alfa engines over the years have left the rest trailing in their wake. The classic twin cams were giving power others could only dream of back in their day and the later Twin Spark engines only had their reputation spoiled by over optimistic service intervals.
Probably the real truthful answer to the OP is "Whatever engine is in your car". They are all awesome.:cool:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Probably the real truthful answer to the OP is "Whatever engine is in your car". They are all awesome.:cool:
Mostly true, though I have never heard a good word said about the early JTS engines based on the TS.

When I saw the thread I immediately thought V6, but for pure fun the boxers took some beating in their day, I'd still like to get a 1.7 fitted Sud at some stage as a second car.

·
Registered
856 Posts
As stated above, the answer is kind of obvious. Probably more interesting would be "what is your least favourite engine fitted to an Alfa?".

Personally I have found that the most powerful version of an engine is not necessarily the "best". For example, the boxer engine: to me the best version was the 105bhp 1.5, as fitted to Sud, Sprint and mk1 33 "Cloverleaf" models. Likewise the much-loved Busso V6: the 3.0 12v cloverleaf version, as fitted to the late 75, SZ and 164 Cloverleaf, sounds sweeter than the 24v versions.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've had a lot of Alfas and while I know the V6 is really the best my heart says the boxer is the best. My 1.7 Sprint with carbs did weird things to my brain, one of the best sounds on Earth!

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
So good to hear so many remembering the boxer. The snap crackle and pop from the exhaust on over run never failed to make me smile, it loved to be thrashed within an inch of its life too! I loved my 33, happy days!

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Absolutely loved the 2.0TS I had on my 147, real raspy sound when you went high with the rpm!

Tho, having switched to a diseasel, I love leaving a cloud of soot!

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
1.7ltr 16v Boxer is probably, grudgingly my favourite too.. but the v6 (2.5ltr, 12v in my case) is and remains one of the world's great engines .. :thumbs:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I'll wave the flag for the Nord twin cam, with a production life starting in the 50's/60's and carrying on, effectively for 40 years. A groundbreaking design in its time and for many, many years the most powerful mass market engine of it's capacity (until the advent of turbo's in the 90's).

In Carburettor form the best sounding 4 cylinder engine ever made. With a wonderful noise on acceleration and a burble and spit on the overrun. It's an engine which defined the brand for most of that 40 years. Numerically and financially much more important than the V6 engine

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Yep I'm all for the boxer in the 33 :mad: :lol: But I do love my GTA busso

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've never owned an Alfa with a Nord twin cam - so I reckon I can't really call myself qualified to answer until I do - but in the meanwhile I think the 1.5 boxers fitted to my Alfasud Sprints had the most character. They just fizzed with individualism: gorgeous rasp, turbine smooth, pretty gutsy for a 1,490, instant throttle response, spine-tingling snap crackle and pop on the over-run, and just a joy to use.

Just starting them on a cold morning was an almost religious experience: a dab or two of throttle to squirt some petrol in, then close the throttle and crank the engine, they would usually fire immediately and almost cut out you'd have to be quick to dab the throttle a couple more times to enrich the mixture and she would shake herself into life. Brilliant.

The Bussos are class of their field too and I've owned three of them at different times. I know there will be another in my life at some stage :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts