Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, how is this part called in English?

I am getting a knocking noise when I am downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear (while releasing the clutch), or accelerating or decelerating (no braking, just stepping and removing my foot from the throttle pedal). I can also recreate the noise with the car stopped and trying to start with 1st or reverse gear with the handbrake on. I just replaced the rear engine mount with no luck. I was told that it could be this part (this is from a fiat bravo by googling the part name in Greek):

(my car is Alfa 147 1.6TS with 123.000Kms on the clock)

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
That is an inner CV joint. That one fits into the gearbox so it is the inner joint on the left hand driveshaft.

If it is worn and making noise, there would be movement between the cv joint and driveshaft.

I'd trace the noise and be sure you are going to change the right part as just guessing is going be be expensive.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is an inner CV joint. That one fits into the gearbox so it is the inner joint on the left hand driveshaft.

If it is worn and making noise, there would be movement between the cv joint and driveshaft.

I'd trace the noise and be sure you are going to change the right part as just guessing is going be be expensive.
Thank you for the reply. If this is the case, is it a common issue or am I a jinx..

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am still having this strange noise, a single knock when downshifting or when after stopping to park when putting the reverse and releasing the clutch. I have failed to cure it by changing the rear engine mount and the inner cv joint on the right side (the noise is felt from the left side but the genious mechanic insisted it was the right cv joint. 2 more mechanics have the testimony that they do not know what exactly it might be. Note that the noise started developing after the dampers where rebuilt and the lower arms replaced with new TRWs but this could be just a coincidence. I was looking at the eLearn and spotted the attached document of which the description seems like matching my case. Anyone has experience on something like this?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts