Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've posted about this before but it's a bit more pronounced now.

Ignore the sound of the tappets on this video, the engine actually sounds very nice and healthy in the flesh - for some reason the camera makes it sounds tappety and under water!??

It's the electrical type whining noise I'm wondering about - it's there constantly and quite loud - loud enough that I can hear it when the car is parked up 100 yards away with the missus in it. I'm pretty sure it's not her whining.

Annoying whine Alfa 156 - YouTube

Thoughts? It's driving me mad. And also making me wary of the car :mad:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think it's the alternator bearing ... I'm sure you can find some garage to recondition it or swap it with one from the breakers.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I would remove the belt cover and check the cam belt. If the idlers wear, the cambelt can move and rub against the cam belt cover, causing a whining sound and rapidly reducing the width of the belt! This happened to mine, but was fortunately caught and fixed before the belt snapped. The old belt was half the width of the new replacement when it was removed.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm facing a similar whine from the engine that only shows up when the engine is revved above 3000 rpm and increases as the rpms get higher.
I'm wondering if this is an expensive job to fix..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts