Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an attempt to cure or at least improve the un-smooth 2nd to 3rd gear change on my Ti (fine on a slow change, a tad crunchy on a quick high RPM upchange) I'm going to get Ned to change the oil. I want the best there is so any recommendations:confused:

Mr 156Taxi used 65mm of Molyslip gear box treatment in his and is well pleased with the results so I'm going to put some of that in too.

Where's oilman when I need him:lol:

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Redline always seems to get good reviews.
Careful using molyslip or any other friction modifiers - your synchros need frcition :)

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Tesco Finest! :p

·
Registered
38,880 Posts
I have a tube of Molyslip here that I have been threatening to stick in the GTV, as it can sometimes be ockurd to get it into first when the car is cold and stationary.

As far as I am aware it is fine for syncros, but you can't use it if the gearbox has a limited slip diff (Q2, Quaife etc) fitted.

I might try a tube in the Fiat Bravo first, as that has a whine in the box. ;)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Is it just me asking the question, "why should the gearbox be making ANY crunching noises" on what, I'm assuming, is a relatively low mileage car?:confused:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They all do it Sir! Another Alfa characteristic we have to live with.

·
Registered
38,880 Posts
Isn't it a GM gearbox on the 2.2?

All of the FWD GM cars I have driven have had quite notchy gearchanges. It is just the way they are. :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The box has fpt on it and is built in France.

·
Registered
38,880 Posts
:eek:

That is Fiat Powertrain technologies isn't it?

I could have sworn it was GM. Maybe I am getting mixed up with the Diseasel versions.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's right. Could be built under licence I suppose?

·
Registered
38,880 Posts
I would imagine that there is a GM box that would bot straight to the engine considering the origins of the block.

Maybe Fiat bought the design and modified it slightly.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I got 3 bottles of Redline during last Easter's Opie discounts. Still not used it yet as I have a leak so would just be a waste. Been told it is the best though.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at the specs, the Redline MTL is the one to go for.

75w-80/75w-85/MTF oil

I wouldn't use molyslip, juust good oil.

Cheers

Tim
Cheers Tim.

There appears to be two types of Redline on the linked page:confused:

Diet or regular:lol:

Which one do I need (those who have seen me will say diest for sure:tut:):cheese:

A

·
0 Posts
I put Redline MTL in my 164 gearboxes following recommendations from over the pond. Its certainly very good oil from a spec point of view. The question of whether it will improve the gearchange is less certain, but it can't do any harm and might improve it.

A Frog Box in an Itie car!!!! Where the 'disgusted of Milan' posts I ask you:D

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I put Redline MTL in my 164 gearboxes following recommendations from over the pond. Its certainly very good oil from a spec point of view. The question of whether it will improve the gearchange is less certain, but it can't do any harm and might improve it.

A Frog Box in an Itie car!!!! Where the 'disgusted of Milan' posts I ask you:D

AlfaLincs
More to the point, where are the "No to derogatory names" thread?

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
In an attempt to cure or at least improve the un-smooth 2nd to 3rd gear change on my Ti (fine on a slow change, a tad crunchy on a quick high RPM upchange) I'm going to get Ned to change the oil. I want the best there is so any recommendations:confused:

Mr 156Taxi used 65mm of Molyslip gear box treatment in his and is well pleased with the results so I'm going to put some of that in too.

Where's oilman when I need him:lol:

Cheers,
Simon

For you box try this stuff, Alfa Approved as well, should do the trick so long as there are not mechanical issues. Forget the addative, will cause more long term harm than good!

Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic manual transmission fluid

Cheers
Guy

·
Registered
226 Posts
Simon

For you box try this stuff, Alfa Approved as well, should do the trick so long as there are not mechanical issues. Forget the addative, will cause more long term harm than good!

Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic manual transmission fluid

Cheers
Guy
Although I do not have the technical background of oil I would ask why - more long term harm than good! - given my experience with said product.
Over the last 40 years of motoring including 20 years of Lancia, 10 years with an Almera GTI which is still being run by my local garage I always put Molyslip in and I would say the boxes felt smoother. The last Lancia I had was sold with 100k+ miles on and the Almera the same and not one problem with any gearbox.

The only reason I haven't got it in my Alfa - not high on the existing priority list of things to do. Plus I'm an old sod now and not so eager to get under the car.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Last time I looked into this, this was the contents of Molyslip

Iron: 50
Chrome/Chromium: 1
Aluminum: 156
Silicon: 59
Molybdenum: 9069
Sodium: 17
Boron: 0
Zinc: 1975
Calcium: 4621
Phosphor: 1052
Potassium: 3

I just don't understand why you would want to add a second additive package to oil already blended to form a synergistic combination of additives that work well with the utilised base oil. Long term all you are doing is changing the properties of an oil that is designed for the purpose. Oil companies spend millions in R&D to blend the correct oils, there should not be any need to add anything unless the oil is not appropriate.

Cheers
Guy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts