Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jtd ..ts ..v6 list your answers and what is running temp of engines:cheese: ill explain in due course :p

·
Registered
30,087 Posts
Thermostats:
78-82degC for the Diesels
81-85 for TS/JTS
85-89 for v6

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any supplier facet genuine has 88c stamped and /or documented in their catalogues as opening temp ....been argueing this point with certain supplier and havent had a straight answer why if " alfa romeo elearn " says different or this typical Italian DKWTFT doing syndrome:cheese:

·
Registered
562 Posts
These is something that i dont understand, temp on my JTD should be 90 c even on -15, but this i get if i dont turn on the heating, coz if i do it variates 70-80 c. This is normal right?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Probably your stat is stuck open - lots of threads on this matter (funnily most seem to turn up when the weather gets cold)

M

·
0 Posts
My genuine stat on 20v mjet opens at 88 on the button. no heat in top hose before then....

John

·
Registered
238 Posts
For every ones information the info I sent to davealfa11 is Alfa Romeos own workshop manual and the opening temp is 80 degrees +/- 2 degrees so from 78 to 82, If you get Alfa Romeo's workshop manual or a copy of the disk from here .:BerlinaSportivo - Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 and Sports Saloons on the net:. you can check for yourself it is under description and operation! 88 degrees is the running temp i.e. straight up on the gauge (so it looks nice and neat on the dash) NOT the opening temp. You have got to remember that opening is not a switch it is a gradual process, so it opens at 80 degrees and lets a tiny bit of water through, not enough to cool the engine at full chat, not until 88 degrees does the thermostat reach the equilibrium point where it holds the temperature steady.

Now please Davealfa11 would you look it up for yourself you dont have to trust me the link is above and here is how you find it on the disk

So download manual>description and operation>engine unit>second column scroll down to 1088, engine cooling and click on nut type thing at end>end column water pump and thermostat, click on nut thing at end>weird blank page click on nut thing again>thermostat click on books at end and it gives you the opening temp not the operating temp.

The reason Davealfa11 is confused is that in the dim and distant past thermostat manufacturers used to stamp the opening temp on the thermostat, as usual alfa romeo dont do this!

I know that no one is infallible but I did look this one up for you Davealfa11, I have sent you a screen print of the page and a link to an independent site for you to check for yourself, I have copied the link to this page as well so PLEASE LOOK IT UP.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For every ones information the info I sent to davealfa11 is Alfa Romeos own workshop manual and the opening temp is 80 degrees +/- 2 degrees so from 78 to 82, I really think that they have got it right as they make the car, If you get the disk or a copy of the disk from here .:BerlinaSportivo - Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 and Sports Saloons on the net:. you can check for yourself it is under description and operation! 88 degrees is the running temp i.e. straight up on the gauge (so it looks nice and neat on the dash) NOT the opening temp. You have got to remember that opening is not a switch it is a gradual process, so it opens at 80 degrees and lets a tiny bit of water through, not enough to cool the engine at full chat, not until 88 degrees does the thermostat reach the equilibrium point where it holds the temperature steady.
you never answered my question in email.......why do manufacturer alfa have an opening temp of 88c even facet you supply open at that and its stated in all their catalogues as well as QH and i know it is not a on/off switch for the engine to run at 88c it sounds feezable to have a stat at that temp where it alters to allow water to flow to radiator to be cooled
by the way in low temps that we got at moment if you drive on motorway from cold you will see temp hit 88c and then drop back as stat opens .as you know alfa gauges read real time not average

my thermostats open at 88c on both my cars
true alfa make their car like they designed how much oil goes in jtd box but that got revised did it not:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
These is something that i dont understand, temp on my JTD should be 90 c even on -15, but this i get if i dont turn on the heating, coz if i do it variates 70-80 c. This is normal right?
The heater radiator will cool the engine as well as the main radiator and this isnt controlled by the thermostat so the cold air going through the heater matrix cools the engine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
As above

The reason Davealfa11 is confused is that in the dim and distant past thermostat manufacturers used to stamp the opening temp on the thermostat, as usual alfa romeo dont do this!

I know that no one is infallible but I did look this one up for you Davealfa11, I have sent you a screen print of the page and a link to an independent site for you to check for yourself, I have copied the link to this page as well so PLEASE LOOK IT UP.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/206878-thermostat-check-thread.html

you can check if your stat is working correctly if its passing before optimum temp ...remember if you got heating on engine cant generate enough heat to compensate in cerrtain driving conditions and stat will start to close to restrict flow to radiator

M

·
0 Posts
Funny that cos my Behr stat leaves top hose stone cold till 88 then opens. my facet one started leaking warm water a little before 80 (though doesn't seem to take much longer to warm car to temp in open road...

You sure the 80 deg, rather then opening temp is actually how cool the coolant needs to get before stat fully closes again after it first opens?. The workshop Manual may say 80 but Behr stats do not open till 88 :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
mr-mac, RTFM goes for you as well, it is all there, black and white, opens it quite clearly states, I am not so far into my dotage that I get confused between the words OPEN and CLOSED, honest I am not making this up, check for yourself. The wax in the stat can be formulated to open over any number of degrees so a Behr stat may well open quicker and this may well be why Alfa Romeo have decided to put the operating temperature on instead of the opening temp

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
operating temp is not issue with this thread ...we all know the operating temp of the engines with a correctly functioning stat

ps what revision is this manual on so far or dont they revise it

1 - 20 of 84 Posts