Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a Alfa 156 Selespeed Monza. This apparantly means it comes with MOMO leather.....

Whilst test driving a new 159 I was told MOMO leather was softer and a few thousand more.....

My question is:-
1) How can I tell if I have Momo leather in my 156?
2) Is it better than standard Alfa Romeo leather?

My car has the word MOMO embossed into the side of the drivers head rest.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You answered your own question it had MOMO in the headrest and yes it is better as its an after-market tuning / styling brand :).

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Momo is a brand name. I have a Momo strut brace.

R

·
0 Posts
If it has the word MOMO on it then it's MOMO leather.

MOMO is a trade name AFAIK. All Alfa's with leather seem to have MOMO leather in them. I think that was the only option. As far as it being a few thousand more, I assume they are talking about the difference in cost between standard cloth seats and leather. Over here it was a £650 option on the 156 I think.

·
Registered
322 Posts
"There are various extra-cost add-ons which, if you go all the way to Sport Pack 3 with its Recaro front seats and Momo leather trim", Aparently?

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Momo (http://www.momo.it/ more famous for steering wheels and things) supplied the leather to Alfa. It was used on everything from the 145s onwards. If you have a 145/147/156/whatever with leather, it is Momo leather. You couldn't specify "normal" leather so really it's not worth getting too excited about.

pmptrading said:
Whilst test driving a new 159 I was told MOMO leather was softer and a few thousand more.....
This will be the new Pieno Fiore leather which is a higher grade and is an option over the standard leather on the 159 and Brera.
:)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Yeah the 159 and brera can have ordinary leather, or as a cost top up 'Frau Pieno Fiore' which is supposed to be softer and superior.

Our 147 is a 2005, doesnt have the Momo logo on the headrests and for that model yesr at least didnt claim to be Momo.

On the 156 all the leather was 'Momo'

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
As people have said, Momo is just a tuning company that Alfa uses as a brand for some of its stuff. My previous 156 had Momo leather, I'm pretty sure this was just standard leather, it was decent but not amazing.

When the 159 came out Alfa made a big play of the fact they were offering high-quality leather as standard, of the type usually an expensive option (often called "nappa leather") on Audis and BMW's, over and above their standard leather.

So my understanding is 156's have fairly standard leather (though in my experience it ages better than the standard stuff in E46 3-series) and 159's have nappa leather as standard- in the UK at least.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
jwyatt said:
When the 159 came out Alfa made a big play of the fact they were offering high-quality leather as standard
I think you are thinking of the optional Pieno Fiore stuff. (£800 minimum). They made a big song and dance about it being "available" from launch. The standard leather is much like the usual stuff.
:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, momo is superior leather. Feels softer than my bmw. Love my old 156 only 2 years off classic now on a 97. The year they made car of the year. My bimmer made it as well, love the straight six but still love the Alfa aswell

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, momo is superior leather. Feels softer than my bmw. Love my old 156 only 2 years off classic now on a 97. The year they made car of the year. My bimmer made it as well, love the straight six but still love the Alfa aswell
Can’t fault a t. Spark able to out run the cords vxr’s after 120mph, done it with my grandad driving after they were early made. Run a chavvy out of speed over Rochester bridge left him easy once we got up to 150 lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can’t fault a t. Spark able to out run the cords vxr’s after 120mph, done it with my grandad driving after they were early made. Run a chavvy out of speed over Rochester bridge left him easy once we got up to 150 lol
Had my 325ci doing 155mph over there once in the rain with a Lexus IS chasing me, had a Lexus myself so
know where they top out, roughly about 130 on the six box

·
Registered
5 Posts
Momo lost a big market when airbags arrived but they’ve still got alloys Custom Steering Wheels Products - MOMO
I know, think they should have respect still though, did think about them pricing the bmw up but just bought beige replacement as I’ll probably blow it up after turboing. Everyone says the m54 no good, the Alfa on the other hand anyone done turbo upgrade here? I heard the t4 or t5 Volvo fit nicely on a 1.9 diesel manifold with a bit of work? How’s it run is what I want to know do I need forge pistons, they cost like a grand. Will pay if needed but prefer to find if anyone done this before

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I know, think they should have respect still though, did think about them pricing the bmw up but just bought beige replacement as I’ll probably blow it up after turboing. Everyone says the m54 no good, the Alfa on the other hand anyone done turbo upgrade here? I heard the t4 or t5 Volvo fit nicely on a 1.9 diesel manifold with a bit of work? How’s it run is what I want to know do I need forge pistons, they cost like a grand. Will pay if needed but prefer to find if anyone done this before
Take a look here :

Cant see the appeal in any leather Momo or not, its horrid stuff, always used to be what they used if you wanted a hard wearing wipe clean surface before PVC was invented, some marketing guru somehow made people think it was "luxurious", when that the last thing it is, now everyone wants it.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I won't buy a car without leather. Much tougher, better looking (IMO)and harder wearing....especially if you have modern sport style seats. Lost count of the number of earlier cars I've owned were the material had to be repaired where is had worn through the side bolsters..hardly ever happens with leather unless it's cheap....or you are a fat munter!

I remember my dad's old 1964 Consul estate with PVC seats...green ones at that. It would burn you on a hot day (and then you would stick to it with your own sweat as unlike leather it cannot breath) and freeze you on a cold one. That combined with a Bakerlite steering wheel that did the same trick...as well as chipping when dad even so much as tapped it with his wedding ring made a great combination! Glad PVC went by the wayside!

BOT my 156 V6 Veloce had the MOMO option..it was great. Was not just a better quality leather, the seats were a different shape to the standard leather ones.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Each to their own, but, I ve sat on hot leather that burns, leather is only marginally better than PVC in that respect and in cold weather leather is freezing, unlike cloth. PVC has not "gone by the way side" either - many manufacturers still use it for complete interiors - Mercedes for example ("Artico") and most manufacturuers, including Alfa use it for the sides and backs of their leather seats and also the door cards and armrests, usually only the seat faces are leather. Modern leather substitutes can breath like leather, theyre still as horrid to sit on. Gotta disagree about worn bolsters on leather seats too - look on ebay for examples of worn leather Alfa seat bolsters, or threads on here, its very, very common. You dont actually sit on the leather, its painted and its that paint that you sit on, the paint comes off over time and it needs repairing, its so common with leather on any car (many a car with worn leather seats on Wheeler Dealers or Car SOS is taken to a retrimmer to be repaired). And for sports seats its the worst thing - its hard and shiney, so you slide about - deffo not what you want on sports seats !

·
Registered
714 Posts
Leather and non-leather have their issues. I can think of many leather seats where the side bolsters wear through, rear seatback tops and rear headrests split due to sun and heat. But fabric can do that too, or just generally turn to shreds. I'm thinking E30 BMW here. With a lot of seat bolsters the foam underneath usually just needs replacing and reinforcing to make it look a lot better. No matter the material type.

I always quite liked Mazda's Velour interiors from the very late 1990's to early 2000's.

More modern car fabric interiors seem so utilitarian.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts