Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 156 2.0 TS, there's a black box with 2 blue pipes attached, it's under the right hand front wing, blue pipes go into the top of the engine.... Can anyone tell me what it is and what it does please? (Just curious)

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
Charcoal canister.
It takes the Petrol vapour from the tank, stores it and it is then let into the inlet under the control of the ECU.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
... so is that what I hear going "clickclickclickclick..." very rapidly (and sometimes twice as many clicks/second)?? Below the bonnet hinge, just below where windscreen meets the the o/s wing? :confused:

G

·
Yep, they do that when the connector block isn't a very good contact.. It as if it sounds like your hydraulic lifters aren't charging when it gets really bad, they can be stripped down with care and cleaned up;)

·
Administrator
47,068 Posts
I'd love to hear more about that Graham, and I'm sure others would too - the clicking charcoal canister is an absolute bane of GTA owners lives!

G

·
Got a V6 in for upper wishbones in a couple of weeks time that has a bad evap canister click so I'll do a tutorial with photos then for you;)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Cheers....:thumbs: Any chance of another of your excellent step-by step guides? By the sounds of it, others here have had similar issues...

(note to self ... read the rest of posts before replying LOL)

:rolleyes:

:lol:

G

·
:lol:

You also have to remember that if it's ticking, then it's working as it should albeit a pain in the ears, they just get noisy and complain with age, like me:D

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
... ah. So, it's actually still functioning? I was given to believe it made the noise because it WASN'T working... I shall let sleeping dogs lie, in that case... :thumbs:

Thanks! :)

·
Administrator
47,068 Posts
Got a V6 in for upper wishbones in a couple of weeks time that has a bad evap canister click so I'll do a tutorial with photos then for you;)
That would be indescribably awesome! :thumbs:

If you do that, I'll add it to the relevant 'how-to' section on here, if you're agreeable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts