Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long will my 156 last?
You guys in England seem to have such short life expectancies for your cars......

Surely 20 years is not to much?

I will probably need 4 or 5 selespeed pumps, a few actuators and possibly an ECU.....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Climate has something to do with it, but cars are better protected than they were. Where are you?
Mine, cars not Alfas, have usually been disposed of either because they got too close to other cars or thanks to corrosion. I predict you will want something different/more up to date/more classic/more economical/more powerful/./././././././. before it gives up on you!Enjoy it as hard as you can and as often as possible!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I managed to crack a cylinder on my 98 v6 at 133k. If I couldn't do it myself, and didn't have spare weekends and a free driveway, it would have been scrap.

·
Registered
472 Posts
how'd u manage that rob? i run the heck out of my engine - trackdays and all - and when we cracked it open for the 3L transplant the internals looked almost new. not even sludge deposits or varnish on the pistons/cylinders.

redd

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
I guess you can keep a car going for as long as you can allowing for supply of parts and given the bodywork/shell remain intact. No idea if there are any guidelines or rules the manufacturers work to in terms of supplying parts and how long for ... given they are some parts now for the 156 that are hard to get, I may have answered my own question.

There are plenty of 20+ year old cars running around but getting parts for many is starting to get difficult.

If the 147/156 remains a popular car companies like EBSpares will probably continue to supply parts as they do now for lots of older Alfas. Then we are into breaker territory. So in the UK/Europe it shouldn't be a problem, but for the more remote places like Oz, it could get harder.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Until the fuel injection components or ECU/ BCU components become obsolete or its uneconomical to replace.

Many 156's needing throttle bodies are available for a few hundred quid already.

Gearboxes are fragile and if abused - fail early.

No reason why any cared for 156 wont see 200,000 miles or 15 years.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I'd say 6 years for most mainstream cars unless you are they type that doesn't mind forking out for high price maintenance on a car that has no real monetry value left in it.

Another factor is what people regard reasonably maintained after 6 years/100k miles most suspension components amoung other parts are well beyond good condition but some people are happy enough if the engine starts and couldn't give a monkeys about other bits.

Most manufacturers stop producing spare parts 10years after production has ended or something like that so you could feasible keep it tiptop longer.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Redd said:
how'd u manage that rob? i run the heck out of my engine - trackdays and all - and when we cracked it open for the 3L transplant the internals looked almost new. not even sludge deposits or varnish on the pistons/cylinders.

redd
By screwing the living shi* out of it on a hot summers day :tut: :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts