Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the heat soak.

What is it with this car and heat soak. Never experienced this with any of my other cars.

Is the intercooler not big enough? Does it not get enough air onto the intercooler to keep it cold?

Any way to fix this other than MP's method?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
PB...Milano Works now sell OB1 Octane Booster...get in touch with KingB.

otherwise a larger Intercooler...which TMSS can also build I suppose.
Else...more hardcore WMI kit...but OB1 is a chea fix for higher octane on these hot days.
Try heat wrapping the Abarth's turbo housing as well as intake pipe.

Have you chabged the downpipe to a catless dp yet?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Fit a more open exhaust to get the heat out of the engine. The cat in the downpipe is the biggest culprit. Does the water supply, from the radiator to the engine, pass under or close to the exhaust manifold?

On the TS the exh manifold boil the cold water before it goes into the engine after hard driving.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Its difficult while your car is under warrantee.

But yes, DP & Intercooler are the real solution answer to heat soak and long term reliability.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Why I say turbo blanket:

1. Just as heat is generated when air is compressed by the compressor, so the exhaust charge looses heat (energy) as it passes through the turbine. The turbo blanket therefore helps the turbo spool faster and boost higher at slightly lower rpm.
2. It dramatically reduces under bonnet temperatures. This who have ever been to a foundry will know that a lump of iron the size of your foot at roughly 600 degrees is enough to make a space the size of an average office (4m x 4m) unbearably hot is a very short period of time. Now imagine a turbo hidden behind a radiator under an insulated bonnet...
3. Hotter gasses move faster through the exhaust system and enhance the effect of twin scroll turbos.

By far the best other option is Master Paul's option. it does what water-meth does but in a simpler, more reliable way without the possibility of detonation. I would add water sprayers and a turbo blanket if I ever needed a turbo car to be powerfull on a hot day.

One needs to remember: intercoolers originally were made of aluminium. This is because they acted as a heat sink as well as being a charge cooler. These days, the bulk of an intercooler is plastic and the heat sink effect is lost as engineers tend to want to save space and weight. The intercooler is therefore just big enough to work well while the engine is under development and in today's cars where the turbo is constantly spooling even at low speeds and low revs, the heat sink effect is mostly lost. As soon as you stop, because your intercooler is in close proximity to the radiator and turbo and other hot engine parts, it will heat up and unlike an air to water cooler (radiator), an air to air cooler needs much larger volumes of air to cool the air inside it so on a hot day, the air will not cool down effectively unless you have some other way of cooling the charge: Think water sprayers on your intercooler. :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I told you it sucks balls. i am taking the car to Nishen to kill the cat soon. i feen this will help along with a better designed cold intake and intercooler.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Hehehehehe! You figure you can do a better job than Abarth... Ok ok maybe you can. :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Ian there is no Maf on a MA engine meaning that they didn't bother with cold air. It sucks warm air in from the engine bay just like a giulietta

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But I feel the heat soak a lot more than I ever did in my GMA. Tell your TMSS friend I'm still waiting for reply on my email regarding 4C DP.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Heat soak is directly proportional to power output, but on a log scale. Meaning that for every doubling in power output, the temperature increase is squared.

Now, the little difference between the output of the Scorpione and the GMA could actually be enough to double the heat output.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
which is why a cooler intake, bigger cooler and removal if the kitty will help

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah and since then I emailed him like 5times regarding the 4C DP and I haven't heard a thing... Guess he doesn't wanna build one for the 4C. Will see how MP's DP goes. Perhaps he would rather build me a DP for my Scorpione instead of the 4C

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Technology challenged people. Send me your email and tell no please PB

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok it's sorted now.. I hope.. Now to find time to get the 4C there.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Riaan what happens, does the water temp gauge climb after a hot run? Or does the the heat effect the performance? We need to know whether it need lower coolant temp or lower induction air which just create more temperature inside the engine.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For which car corrie? Punto or 4C?

They both exhibit the same thing. After a hard drive or short stint in traffic or hot day the car doesn't perform as it should.

The Punto hauls, then when the engine gets hot it feels sluggish. You step on it, then it feels slow and not as nippy as it should and then gets going properly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts