Alfa Romeo Forum banner
221 - 240 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
currently painting my spoiler. Yesterday was endless coats of primer and sanding, today the colour is going on, and hopefully by tonight ill be up to clearcoat.

Still have to figure out when and how to mount it though, i want a good 24 hours where the car isnt needed for the glue to cure, and giving that the thing has a slight upward bow compared to the back hatch, ill need to find a way to keep it securely in place for the time it takes to cure.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Put new floormats in:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
So got the Mito back from a new clutch, DMF etc. about a week ago and noticed some notchiness getting it in 5th, rang MVC and they said bring it in and we will check.. sorted, little adjustment needed now it is a silky gearchange.

Reactions: Jpe61

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
what happened?

Either way, drove my mito out of the garage after sitting indoors for nearly three weeks while we were on holiday. Started up like i parked it yesterday. (you'd say that is a pretty reasonable expectation, but so far every single alfa ive had had battery issues, so it being flat would've been 100% on par)

Still spending endless amounts of times considering replacing it, but i just cant find a good candidate. Id want something a bit faster and five doors, but hate the nose on the giulietta. And otherwise pretty much every single first generation mainstream turbo engine out there sucks. all pre 2015 TFSI have chain and oil usage problems, the 1.6 Ecoboost has overheating problems etc... Im not sure im brave enough for a french used motor, and any clio faster then my mito is rare as hens teeth.....

Not that the mito is actively annoying me, its just been almost two years, and thats when i get itchy :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
what happened?

Either way, drove my mito out of the garage after sitting indoors for nearly three weeks while we were on holiday. Started up like i parked it yesterday. (you'd say that is a pretty reasonable expectation, but so far every single alfa ive had had battery issues, so it being flat would've been 100% on par)

Still spending endless amounts of times considering replacing it, but i just cant find a good candidate. Id want something a bit faster and five doors, but hate the nose on the giulietta. And otherwise pretty much every single first generation mainstream turbo engine out there sucks. all pre 2015 TFSI have chain and oil usage problems, the 1.6 Ecoboost has overheating problems etc... Im not sure im brave enough for a french used motor, and any clio faster then my mito is rare as hens teeth.....

Not that the mito is actively annoying me, its just been almost two years, and thats when i get itchy :p
Went to take it out for a trip, got to the bottom of a hill and the brakes failed - ish
The banjo connector on a brake hose had rusted/corroded through, the rubber hose came off the connection and the fluid left the vehicle. Turned out to not be too major, fixed now, but hey the vehicle is 2009 with 180,000 on the clock so not bad. Which makes me smile when you say you get "itchy" after two years ;) I would say stick with it. Battery issue is probably due to the Alarm being on 24x7 for 3 weeks without getting started up. Mine would probably do the same even with my new-ish battery.

Looking for a replacement, consider the new Tonale Hybrid ... if you are one of the super rich ;) I looked at a replacement car last year and decided I loved the Mito so much, I would stick with it. Even though as a field engineer I need it for work doing 1,200 miles per month :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Went to take it out for a trip, got to the bottom of a hill and the brakes failed - ish
The banjo connector on a brake hose had rusted/corroded through, the rubber hose came off the connection and the fluid left the vehicle. Turned out to not be too major, fixed now, but hey the vehicle is 2009 with 180,000 on the clock so not bad. Which makes me smile when you say you get "itchy" after two years ;) I would say stick with it. Battery issue is probably due to the Alarm being on 24x7 for 3 weeks without getting started up. Mine would probably do the same even with my new-ish battery.

Looking for a replacement, consider the new Tonale Hybrid ... if you are one of the super rich ;) I looked at a replacement car last year and decided I loved the Mito so much, I would stick with it. Even though as a field engineer I need it for work doing 1,200 miles per month :)
Good mileage, and good result on only failed - ish !

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

Good to hear you didnt have a major accident, brake failure must be terrifying.

Battery trouble, my 147 and first GT both just needed new batteries at some point, the 147 failed in the dead of winter, not really that much of a surprise in retrospect. The second GT had all sorts of electrical gremlins including an alarm, battery would be dead after sitting for 48/72 hours, even after getting a brand new battery, which was part of the reason i swapped it in quickly for the mito.

As for replacing the mito, its not really a big thing. The mito does what it needs to do, and does it well. Ive also modified it to suit my tastes better (lowered, better audio, some aesthetics), and currently not exactly unimportant, is reasonably economic. BUT... I dont really like 3-doors in pratice anymore. Sure they look better mostly, but getting the kids in/out the back is getting a bit annoying, and the bigger doors are a constant worry in car parks. Also, while i dont NEED more power, i would sometimes absolutely like a bit more power then the 78hp my 1.4 16v produces. And yeah, ive never stuck with a car for much more then 2.5 years, so there is some itch involved :p

If Seat had built the mk2 Leon with the old 1.8 20v turbo engine rather then the somewhat dodgy 1.8 TFSI (or kept the atmospheric 2.0 in production longer), i'd be seriously tempted right now

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Serviced it. Breathes a lot easier with an OEM air filter rather than the cheap one the garage fitted before I bought it, the Mahle one fits snugly all round, the old one was loose. At least the old oil filter was a genuine FPT one but no knowing how long it's been in there. A nice drop of Fuchs Titan GT1 Flex 3 and she's happy.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Replaced the door cards. I bought a used sport cloth interior a while ago and while i fitted the seats immediately, i didnt fit the door cards as i needed new anti-vibration mats first. Well, we need those for the fiat 600 build anyway, so i ordered a pack. Spent a good time sticking those mats on the new cards and swapped them out. Now i have the sporty looking faux-carbon inserts on the doors rather then the base plastic :)

Also held my nearly-finished spoiler on to the boot, and there is a clearly visible colour mismatch. From 10 feet away no-one would notice, but to me it isnt good enough. So now im debating either trying to get a new colour matched spray-can and repainting, or just sticking a black spoiler on the white mito..... That definitely throws the OEM-look out the window though

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Replaced the door cards. I bought a used sport cloth interior a while ago and while i fitted the seats immediately, i didnt fit the door cards as i needed new anti-vibration mats first. Well, we need those for the fiat 600 build anyway, so i ordered a pack. Spent a good time sticking those mats on the new cards and swapped them out. Now i have the sporty looking faux-carbon inserts on the doors rather then the base plastic :) Also, i think there is less rattling with bass-heavy music after i went all out on the damping material

Also held my nearly-finished spoiler on to the boot, and there is a clearly visible colour mismatch. From 10 feet away no-one would notice, but to me it isnt good enough. So now im debating either trying to get a new colour matched spray-can and repainting, or just sticking a black spoiler on the white mito..... That definitely throws the OEM-look out the window though

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yesterday I washed it properly and it actually shines :LOL:

A few stone ships here and there I need to deal with but otherwise looks good for a 9 year old car.

The front splitter chrome trims look a bit tired, I need to figure out how to remove them to Autosol their asses.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
booked it in for an MOT next week.

If i have the time i might give it a check over myself before then but im not too bothered. Sort of feel ambivalent regarding servicing as well, oil is still as see-through as if it were new, and given how little miles ive done last year, im not sure if i feel like battling the oil filter just yet, might save it for spring.

221 - 240 of 262 Posts