Alfa Romeo Forum banner
3281 - 3300 of 3335 Posts

· Registered
829 Posts
Had so much trouble last week making custom winter grill covers, only to realize today when I went looking in the spare tire location that the previous owner already had those and with fancy fasteners 💀

View attachment 983204
(in the picture is what I made)

That's just like when I bough generic rubber mats to cut to size, and when I threw them in the trunk I noticed he had those in there as well, the official ones from Alfa Linea Accessori... at least I could return them 🙃

Merry Christmas!
I've also made my own with fancy fasteners. 😁 The masks have lasted four years already.

· Registered
829 Posts
As above. A/C to auto, temp to 18-20 and leave alone. Driven hundreds of miles in all weathers and never even thought about, or seen any condo'. I've found it to be a good system.
Auto is alright. In some extreme cases however it can be unaware of the conditions so you have to manually select the upward flow with the dial.
Once the cabin has reached the desired temperature the auto climate control seems to favor footwell direction for heating and mid-level direction for cooling. Sometimes when cold out this leads to misting.

If the problem is chronic then I'd leave it in semi-auto mode. So you engage Auto then select the footwell & top (bottom + top) directions on the dial. Leaving the speed to be decided by the computer.

Other helpful tricks are:
Keeping a clean car
Cleaning the windows
Treating the door seals

· Registered
494 Posts
Auto is alright. In some extreme cases however it can be unaware of the conditions so you have to manually select the upward flow with the dial.
Once the cabin has reached the desired temperature the auto climate control seems to favor footwell direction for heating and mid-level direction for cooling. Sometimes when cold out this leads to misting.

If the problem is chronic then I'd leave it in semi-auto mode. So you engage Auto then select the footwell & top (bottom + top) directions on the dial. Leaving the speed to be decided by the computer.

Other helpful tricks are:
Keeping a clean car
Cleaning the windows
Treating the door seals
Na!!! Just select auto and forget.

· Registered
829 Posts
Na!!! Just select auto and forget.
You can do that until the cabin has reached the desired temperature and the computer has switched the air flow to the footwell. It's -2C and humid out, you pick up people that have come out of the swimming pool and sauna so basically they're steaming and their shoes have snow on them. Then you drive for a little while at the end of which you pull into a semi-heater garage of a shopping mall where the temperature is 8C and the windows start steaming up on the outside additionally.
Your advise for the situation above is useless. :poop:

· Registered
33 Posts
I've also made my own with fancy fasteners. 😁 The masks have lasted four years already.
Right, a fellow Giulietta driver in Finland! Nice!

I noticed that at least the central mask that I made is a bit larger and seals the scudetto a bit better. I have the feeling that the mask kit I found in the car was the store-bought Tammers brand mask kit for the original grille, and that being the case, I'm glad I made a new one more appropriate for the new grille :)

For now I'll let it be with the cable ties, next year I'll swap the fasteners over.

· Registered
1,145 Posts
As above. A/C to auto, temp to 18-20 and leave alone. Driven hundreds of miles in all weathers and never even thought about, or seen any condo'. I've found it to be a good system.
I've found the software on the climate control to be bloody hopeless, and the AC is pissweak. Am tempted to degas it and regas it with hydrocarbon refrigerant which is more efficient. Its sorta mostly acceptable if the temperate stays under the high 20s, but in the Australian summer its a pathetic barely cool dribble from the vents, and the fan is deafening when you inevitably have to crank it up.

Drove a mate's Mazda 3 recently, was reminded of what proper AC was like... :(

I read somewhere its because the HVAC system is an Opel Corsa unit originally designed for a much smaller car...

The HVAC is one thing I really hate about the G - its takes forever for the fan to come on when waiting for the heater on a winter morning (my Megane climate control is pumping hot air inside of kms down the road, in the G we are still freezings after 5 minutes) - the hot coolant is there if i manually crank the fan up, its just the software is dumb as dogstih.

And other dumb things like the mirror heaters are attached to the front demist button, not the rear like EVERY other car....

· Registered
494 Posts
I've found the software on the climate control to be bloody hopeless, and the AC is pissweak. Am tempted to degas it and regas it with hydrocarbon refrigerant which is more efficient. Its sorta mostly acceptable if the temperate stays under the high 20s, but in the Australian summer its a pathetic barely cool dribble from the vents, and the fan is deafening when you inevitably have to crank it up.

Drove a mate's Mazda 3 recently, was reminded of what proper AC was like... :(

I read somewhere its because the HVAC system is an Opel Corsa unit originally designed for a much smaller car...

The HVAC is one thing I really hate about the G - its takes forever for the fan to come on when waiting for the heater on a winter morning (my Megane climate control is pumping hot air inside of kms down the road, in the G we are still freezings after 5 minutes) - the hot coolant is there if i manually crank the fan up, its just the software is dumb as dogstih.

And other dumb things like the mirror heaters are attached to the front demist button, not the rear like EVERY other car....
Maybe it's just your car. On mine, the rear demister also works the mirrors.

· Registered
829 Posts
Yes. Rear demister + wing mirror demisters are operated together.
Power (front) demist operates the above additional to windshield and front side window demisting which helps you see the wing mirrors better naturally.
The climate system on the Giulietta is fine. I use it in -30C - 30C conditions and it copes well.

· Registered
1,145 Posts
Not just my car. I’ve had three all from brand new and they were all the same.

Mirrors only come on in conjunction with the front demise button. I though the mirrors were faulty on the first one and made a warranty claim…

Nah, maybe you guys don’t have real summers and think waiting over 5 minutes for the climate control computer to start the heater fan is normal… My Megane suggests otherwise!

Maybe it’s only rated up to 30 degrees… That doesn’t cut it here. As for minus 30, I find the heater pretty weak in our winters where 5 degrees is a cold day. I don’t believe it would be much good in minus 30!

· Registered
829 Posts
I have to double check the wing mirror heating function on mine.
The climate control is also market tailored. So in the colder climates they may differ from the ones made for warmer climates.
Mine is a diesel and when left on Auto in the winter heating starts 1-2 min after starting the car. This is not solely based on engine temperature as the climate control has additional heating integrated.
These things are also subjective as some dress according to the weather outside while some may not.
My temp setting year round is 18-20C.

· Registered
8,910 Posts
Perhaps there are variations according to the market and between individual vehicles. During the days when it was 35°C here my climate control was very effective, frost formed on the outside of the windscreen. The heated mirrors do work when the rear heated window is selected and the heater provides heat by the time I’ve travelled about 200 metres. All three, the mirrors, rear window and a.c. are enabled if I press the correct button. The fan, as on my GTV, cuts in at a higher speed when there is going to be adequate heating. 18°C for heating initially reduced to 16°C and 16°C for a.c., perhaps selecting ‘Low’ to start, are my default settings.

· Registered
1,256 Posts
You are both right.
Mine does the same frosting.
But! when the temps climb to 39-45, the a/c just doesn't have the power to cool the cabin.
With the left vent and both center vents blowing at me, my right hand freezes but my upper body sweats.

Showing that temp alone is not the magic.

· Registered
1,145 Posts
Including my G, both of them... demister of mirrors is linked to rear window. Must be an australia special
If it is it’s bloody annoying…

Well I’ve had three of them and I’m comparing to other cars that do perform properly. So it’s not subjective and I’m standing by the assessment - **** weak AC, dumb arse climate control software and pathetic heater.

You guys should try Japanese cars - they know how to do AC.

· Registered
829 Posts
In the time a European car is being shipped to the Ozzy market your Japanese cars are being overhauled with new parts so you get fresh AC functionality. 😛
Unless you're still in the honeymoon phase of the Alfa virus. Because that too has symptoms resembling hot & cold, shaking fever etc.

· Registered
1,145 Posts
In the time a European car is being shipped to the Ozzy market your Japanese cars are being overhauled with new parts so you get fresh AC functionality. 😛
Unless you're still in the honeymoon phase of the Alfa virus. Because that too has symptoms resembling hot & cold, shaking fever etc.
Alfa can only dream of the reliability of Japanese cars... I drive european cars because i like the way they drive, not because they are reliable...

· Registered
1,145 Posts
I had no issues the last few summers, where we have seen 40C and up. But the last car was white, I don't know if the grey one will do aswell
Your 40 degrees tends to be milder though - the sun here has a lot more kick in it.

Look, it works. Mostly. Its just not nearly as good as for example a Mazda 3 etc. Ive had dozens of european cars from many brands and the AC and heating has always been inferior to Japanese cars. Its just one of the compromises we make to drive something a little funner - if I prioritised practicality and reliability I would not be choosing any european brand!!

· Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV LPG, & 156 SW 1.8 TS LPG Custom & 146 1.4 TS & Giulietta 116 1.8 (1980)
26 Posts
So today I fitted a new wheel guard to the front left wheel on my Wife's Giulietta... All went well. the original had been damaged....

3281 - 3300 of 3335 Posts