Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What have you done to your Giulietta today?

359358 Views 3342 Replies 362 Participants Last post by  David P
There seems to be a thread like this for every car here except the Giulietta (unless the autoguide app search is that useless!). As the title suggests...what have you done? Perhaps something that's not worth a whole new thread, a quick question or comment!

I got my Giulietta delivered this morning! Silver veloce, 140 2.0jtdm, already updated B&M to v8.0, debating a spider tuning box. Its a company car ( inherited it with 37k on it), so limited to my options.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
2011 Giulietta Veloce M/A (170)
Installed a short shifter from @IgoRR

Drives like a new car, finally gotten rid of the horrible mushy feeling of the stock linkage.

word to the wise, it's easier to remove the whole shifter linkage assembly than try to just release the ball joint on the end of the linkage.

(also please excuse the oil everywhere, still yet to clean after blowing up my old engine)
Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Gas

Registered

Registered
Ah yeah so I'm taking the cheap DIY route with dechroming, I've got a bunch of leftover 3M satin black wrap from when I did my golf.

Going to start with the window surrounds, then on to door handles and mirror covers. Door handles are probably going to be a nightmare, trying to avoid removing the door cards and removing the handles.

If I have to do that I may as well replace the speakers in the door which I've been putting off for almost 6 months in fear of snapping plastic clips.

Wish me luck

Registered
Finally found an afternoon to fit my new brakes.

Bought a set of front & rear calipers and discs from a crashed 2.0 speciale & adapter from @IgoRR

Bolted right up together no issues... Except the fact that my wheels don't clear them. Swapped back to the factory 17"s which unbelievably just clear them so on the lookout for a new set of lightweight 18"x8+ wheels if anyone is shifting a set.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle

Original decals have come off one caliper so I'm going to peel them both and put the plain brembo logo on there instead.

Registered
Yeah strangely enough there were no differences with the rears, even the discs were the same size. Now I just have "hotboy red" rear calipers. It adds to the confusing lore of this car.

I've got the other discs for the rear which I'm going to measure up and see what size the originals were. Off the top of my head I think non brembo diameter should be 268mm and brembo equipped rears should be 276mm so it's a nominal difference anyway

Registered
you got facelift rear brakes (most likely fronts aswell). I have heard that after the facelift the rear brakes were not upgraded to QV size anymore.

the qv rear discs are 20% thicker aswell.
Ahhh I see yeah that makes sense, I vaguely remember the seller mentioning they were from a 2015 Giulietta so that could explain it. Either way saved me a job painting my rears and I've now got a spare set of rear discs. They looked barely used along with the fronts, if nothing else it's replaced my 85k+ mile calipers with some much lower mileage ones. I do wish I'd painted the hubs on the rears though as it's definitely improved the look of the fronts.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Registered
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Removed, repainted and fitted a black emblem on the centre caps to replace the crusty factory ones (only putting the bare minimum effort in because I'm swapping the wheels soon). Put some new caliper decals over the chipped old ones, cleaned, sanded and sprayed my OEM lug nuts black to make them look less crusty.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

Also replaced the old crappy emblem on my broken scudetta to make it look at least somewhat presentable.

Registered
Bought the autoglym headlight restoration kit and had a stab at reviving my musty 11 year old, sun damaged headlights. Rather chuffed with the result if I'm honest.

Just got to repair my cracked bumper and drop the scudetta in and she'll be back to her former glory

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Registered
Was it a simple process?
Yep, super simple.

1. Give your headlights a really good wash to remove any grit/dirt
2. Open your bonnet, cover everything with a blanket or something.
3. Mask off the area around your headlights (alternatively you can remove them but that's a massive faff). I recommend using vinyl gaffa tape, it's tougher than masking tape and won't pull your paint off.
4. Fill a dish/bucket with water and wet the surface of the headlights
5. Put your foam and velcro spinner on your drill. (If you're using a kit they usually come with one)
6. Start wet sanding the surface of the headlights, start with 800 and work up to 3000. Keep your sandpaper wet and wipe off the headlight residue as you go.
7. After sanding through the grits take your polishing compound and cover the entire surface. Buff the polishing compound off and you'll start to see the clear finish now emerging
8. (Optional) repeat step 7. I did two polishes
9. Wipe the surface clean again with a microfibre cloth
10. (Optional) seal the headlights with a UV protector

Voila, you have clean & clear headlights again.

Registered
So yeah, step 2 is to reduce the amount of panels you could potentially scuff with sandpaper.

I covered my engine bay with a blanket because when you're sanding and polishing it throws bits of headlight everywhere. It's better than cleaning a bunch of white spots off everything.

When I did it in my golf i didn't cover my engine and was cleaning bits off for months.

Here's a before and after of that for the golf
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Registered
Just did the first service since having my new engine dropped in. All new fluids, plugs and filters, turns out my cabin/pollen filter hasn't ever been replaced so that was lovely.

Font Symmetry Number Pattern Circle

Was going to replace the multiair filter but realised it's only really done 20K miles, took it out and inspected it. Couldn't see anything untoward, no trapped gunk or anything so just gave it a spray with some brake cleaner and popped it back in.

Since swapping the engine I've dropped to a lower weight oil (0W30) and the canister style oil filter. Much better than those crappy insert filters I have to say. The Euro6 (C2000) engine does in fact have its perks.

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

Replaced my air filter as a bonus because I suspected it also hadn't been replaced before. It was all manner of crusty, it's a wonder my turbo could breathe. Only gonna get a couple months of use from it anyway before I install my intake.

I had the timing kit done when I purchased the engine so I'm not expecting to have to touch that until I drop my MTD camshaft back in. Remind me alfisti, how often should I do the cambelt & water pump?

Registered
Gave it a full service yesterday, here's why you don't forget the cabin filter. Last person who swapped it out absolutely ruined the filter and it was also put in the wrong way (sideways).
Jeans Shoe Comfort Product Blue

Edit:
Forgot to say, how much of a pain in the arse it is to change the cabin filter if you have a RHD Giulietta. What a ******* faff 馃ぃ

1 - 20 of 27 Posts