Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What have you done to your Giulietta today?

357929 Views 3340 Replies 362 Participants Last post by  TonyGr
There seems to be a thread like this for every car here except the Giulietta (unless the autoguide app search is that useless!). As the title suggests...what have you done? Perhaps something that's not worth a whole new thread, a quick question or comment!

I got my Giulietta delivered this morning! Silver veloce, 140 2.0jtdm, already updated B&M to v8.0, debating a spider tuning box. Its a company car ( inherited it with 37k on it), so limited to my options.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Absolutely nothing.
But the Start/Stop sprung in action twice today for the first time in months. Didn't even disable it.
The tailgate lock stopped working again. Time to open up the rubber gaiter again but I've bought a heavier duty crimper since the last time. For any first timers, there is a small manual override button on the lock you can reach after folding down the rear seat.

I don't think the 2 events are linked !

· Registered
1,014 Posts
2010 2.0JTD 170BP 85K
. MOT - clean bill of health. Emissions levels barely registered anything.
. Oil/Filter change and flush - Mannol Premium 5w30
. Replaced n/s top mounting strut bearing + drop link . Took hours apparently to free one of the bolts so only did the side which was crunching.
. Replaced timing belt / water pump / anti-freeze
£490.

Wiring looms replacement postponed.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Car cleaning and washing, gardening, walking are free exercise and less pathogens and cheaper than the gym. I also don't bother too much about the finished product, just get the dirt out and off. I don't even hose it down now just let the rain finish it.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Today I've changed the oil and fitted new oil and air filters! Where does the pollen filter go?
I've also changed the spark plugs and I've decidrd I'm getting too old for squirming about on a concrete floor take off the undertrays to get to the parts. It tokk me longer to remove the trays than it did ton do the rest of the jobs!
The access panel is near the clutch pedal. Haven't even looked at mine but sometimes they can be a right pain to get out and in, either the 156 or 159 involved a lot of squashing and bending!

· Registered
1,014 Posts
private sale for 4k for 2015 2.0 business edition 77k. Bit closer to reality rather than bubble prices.

Used car dealers will say and do anything to squash private sales completely, they have plummeted in recent years, harder to find them.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
As part of the summer vacation and high temperatures, I came in for treatment of the bottom and inside cavities. Considering that the car looks really nice from the bottom, it would be a shame not to keep it. Classic DINITROL chemistry was used, ML for cavities and Corrotec 485 transparent wax on the bottom, suspension, springs etc..
The classic procedure: wash the bottom and skirts with hot water mixed with dishwashing detergent, nothing more aggressive chemistry was needed, it was just dusty and then after drying the application itself follow.
I immediately sanded and sprayed with paint the oxidized metal strips that hold the tank + on the rear arms, where there were already rusty spots here and there on the surface, so also sand and aplicate with black paint and it doesn't spread.
What surprised me is that the Giulietta has 3 belts under the tank, while only 2 were enough for the 159 for a 70l tank :D, probably a development.
You could make some good money doing that as a service, maybe ?

· Registered
1,014 Posts
MOT + oil change. 12 year old 2.0JTDM. Only 6500 miles last year. Clean bill of health.

Uneventful year. This is it.

o Changed one headlight bulb
o dpf light came on once
o tailgate wires still patched up, new looms still in the box!

· Registered
1,014 Posts
I replaced the nearside tailgate wiring loom (15 wires+washer pipe) about 2 weeks ago. I phoned the garage but they didn't answer so I did it myself. Took me about 4 hours ! My crimpers have red, blue and yellow dots for the 3 thickest wire types and I think they just about worked for the very thin wires with white connectors (0.25mm) but to be sure I used the crimper end to compress them a bit more.

I discovered the rear fog light wasn't working when I'd finished but fortunately that is a different problem.

The offside loom is only 8 wires when I get around to it!

· Registered
1,014 Posts
If the rear wiper works but doesn't park, it is probably to do with the the disc and needle inside. The needle wears away an arc track of the conductive material. It reminded me of the airflow meter I had on a sierra where you could just move it slightly to change the track path. Mine won't park even though it looked fine inside and still the same after replacing the wiring loom.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
changing the pollen filter has always made zero difference to inside condensation. If it is damp or humid outside I'm not sure what the pollen filter is going to do as the h2o molecules will just zoom through it. All my alfa cars have been poor for condensation and the water is coming from the outside IMO.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
- 'frost" sensor on the evaporator: it temporarily deactivates the compressor if temperature drops to 0°C, with risk of "frost" on the evaporator. If it does get that low inside, shouldn't be for long hopefully.

I've always meant to leave 2 windows very slightly open at night to see if the inside is clear of condensation in the morning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts