Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What have you done to your Giulietta today?

357929 Views 3340 Replies 362 Participants Last post by  TonyGr
There seems to be a thread like this for every car here except the Giulietta (unless the autoguide app search is that useless!). As the title suggests...what have you done? Perhaps something that's not worth a whole new thread, a quick question or comment!

I got my Giulietta delivered this morning! Silver veloce, 140 2.0jtdm, already updated B&M to v8.0, debating a spider tuning box. Its a company car ( inherited it with 37k on it), so limited to my options.
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

· Registered
1,147 Posts
I feel for you. Six weeks after buying a new Xsara I got caught in heavy hail in Austria. The damage was nowhere near as bad as yours and I managed to live with the multitude of small dents but knew they were there and it never felt the same again.
With that many panels damaged will the insurers repair or write off?
It’s the roof that kills them... Plus there would be a few thousand cars killed today so the insurers tend to write them off more readily, no way to fix them all.

A few hundred cars in the Meganes car park alone all looked like mine.

This shows how hard it got smashed - the a pillar is super strong;

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Finally got all the parts needed to get the MTB on the roof and expand the Giuliettas adventure capacity.
Surprisingly it resemples Stelvio from the rear now!
Bikes on the roof scare me... I've put a towbar on mine and use a platform rack . There are two types of people who carry their bike on the roof - those that have totalled a bike driving under something low, and those that will at some point in the future total a bike driving under something low ;)

Plus I do 2000km return trips back to my home state, it sucks a lot of fuel and makes a lot of noise having it up there at 120kph for 8 hours straight!

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Dépends on the car and bike involved of course. On the Megane (that photo was taken the day before it was written off in a hail storm :( ) my Giant Trance sticks out the side a bit, on the Alfa its no wider than the mirrors are.

This is an extreme example i saw on a MTB forum that made me laugh - a ludicrously long and slack enduro rig on a Honda Fit

· Registered
1,147 Posts
I was looking into roof rack for my g but decided as I’m the only one that mountain bikes in my family it can just go in the back with the seats down!
Thats not an option for me. For a start its a pain having to take a wheel off every time (modern MTB through axles are a hex key job), but mostly its really her brand new Alfa (im fixing up another Megane for myself) and I'm not putting a dusty or muddy bike in the back, or risk bashing interior bits and marking them.

· Registered
1,147 Posts
ive got a cannondale lefty so I need to take brake off and then the wheel. But I do t feel it’s a faff at all! As for mud? Nothing a blanket doesn’t solve. I’ve never scratched any plastics and after all it’s a car, a machine that is designed to be left outside and used.
Yeah its a machine, but its also a place you spend some amount of time and i wouldn't want my lounge room getting full of mud and crap either. It's also a substantial investment, and I like to look after my things.

Plus its just easier and simply to drop the rack on the towbar then it is faffing about putting seats down, taking out the parcel shelf and laying down blankets, then packing it all up again afterwards etc etc... Even without pulling the bike apart.

· Registered
1,147 Posts

· Registered
1,147 Posts
And the bumper doesn’t match the wing?
Our new 2018 build Alfa Red G is a different colour to the 2016 build one we just had written off - same paint code, same colour. But new one is a brighter red. The touch up pen i got a while doesn't match it, but it did the old one.

Long story short, if the painters mix it from the code rather than actually matching it to the car i think the factory has enough variation in its paint from batch to batch that you're not guaranteed a good match!!

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Couldn't stand looking at the G sitting there all dusty, so a quick wash and polish before the temperature got too hot. Water was steaming off the car even at 10:30 this morning! Its going to be a scorcha! View attachment 936856
What qualifies as a scorcher in the UK? :) This was taken in early January after a couple of weeks of 35+ degrees and was the first week of our city being locked in smoke... We had plenty of days over 40 degrees.

2 weeks after this photo it was written off in a hailstorm!!

· Registered
1,147 Posts
I think doing all of it would be better tbh, but what colour is your car? Ive got a 10 plate JTDM-2 170 in red and ive had the only had a bit of work done but I want to do more to it. So far ive done:
HID kit on front
changed all other front lights it super bright bulbs
big filter (for the noise mainly)
changed inside lights and number plate light to LED
got projection flood lights
got the wheels done gloss black
had callipers done yellow
had front bumper sprayed
and put a shark fin on for the radio

But i also wanna do:
spray the grill
side skirts and back bumper changed (maybe)
remap
exhaust
chrome delete
carbon fibre some of the inside (not to much tho)
thanks
I think I'd have prioritised the dollars on some proper tyres - the chinese cheapies on there now must get a bit "interesting" in the wet! A set of PS4 will do way more for your enjoyment and safety than aesthetic tweaks :)

· Registered
1,147 Posts
i will be doing that once i get back to work and earn some money. everything i did to the car i did myself and a mate from stuff we had lieing around, as u know we can not go out unless we have to, so i took the time to do some aesthetic tweaks that i thought the car could do with
Lockdown has indeed been productive! This is my Megane lockdown project - transferring all the mechanics and interior from my mint Meg that was totalled by hail to a car i got for $150 with a good body but trashed interior and worn out mechanicals. Something to do to pass the time :)

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Installed the TMC Autoflash and went for a spirited 50 mile drive. First impressions are positive seems to have smoother and quicker gear changes, gear selection seems better too.

View attachment 937226
Smoother would be nice - the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are always a bit ****, especially when cold. Lot of money to correct something Fiat Power train Technologies should have gotten right to start with though :(

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Fitted a towbar mechanicals, but now have to tackle the lighting electrics, using a guasar WH3S-G7 based 7 pin system. Finding it tricky though to identify the correct wires for lighting functions, can anyone point me to a schematic for a 2015 Guilliettz 2.0ltr diesel variant?

note that there is just one wire for both tail and brake lights - need to be sure the relay boxcar decode the different signals.

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Noticed it is getting very very dirty... It lives outside and its been a wet and cold winter so its getting manky. and given i still have broken ribs and collarbone, it wont be getting any love anytime soon... Oh well, wont hurt it - will be an all day detailing job come spring when I am able to do it!!

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Had to wash it in the freezing cold... Winter is being particularly unpleasant at the moment!! But was cut off by a cement truck that then proceeded to spray the front of our brand new G with cement laden water!! Managed to get home and get it off before it set, so escaped paint damage. Phew...

1 - 20 of 148 Posts