Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
6,905 Posts
What have I done to my Giulietta today?

Looked at how dirty it is. Checked the weather forecast and found it will be warmer by the weekend so decided it could wait a few days more.

Is procrastinating really bad or just a waste of time?

· Registered
6,905 Posts
I feel for you. Six weeks after buying a new Xsara I got caught in heavy hail in Austria. The damage was nowhere near as bad as yours and I managed to live with the multitude of small dents but knew they were there and it never felt the same again.
With that many panels damaged will the insurers repair or write off?

· Registered
6,905 Posts
That's an awful lot of muck in the nearside front wheel. Have you been taking to the verge? Otherwise it is still a lot cleaner than mine was before its last clean.

· Registered
6,905 Posts
Looked at all the dust/pollen that has collected on it since it was last used. Thought about getting it out of the carport and washing it then decided it was pointless as another three weeks going nowhere and it will be just as bad. Should I have been more caring?

· Registered
6,905 Posts
So it is 12 weeks since I last started the Giulietta and with a few nights away booked for later in the month I thought I would check it would start. Well it did but only after a struggle. I have kept the battery charged up so it turned over ok but would not fire up. I had to try it three or four times, each time for much longer than normal, before it eventually stuttered into life. Once it was running though it seemed smooth enough and responded to the throttle without problems. Having backed it out of the carport I decided it would be worth checking the tyre pressures and was slightly surprised to find three were spot on and the fourth had only dropped 0.5psi.
Next stage is to clean 16 weeks of dust and tree pollen that has coated it all over and also remove the cobwebs from the wheels. So that should keep me busy if we get a dry day next week.

· Registered
6,905 Posts
I'd suggest you get that battery or the charging system tested. 30% loss in a week is not normal. If you are losing 15% charge due to a 15/30 mile trip then there's something definitely not right with your charging/battery. I'm never under 90% and that's with a 4 year old battery and all options including Bose sub-woofer and sunroof etc.
@mru actually states the loss at 15% per week
It is not the driving but standing, locked with the alarm etc set. Due to lockdown my Giulietta hasn't been moved for about 12 weeks. Every other Monday I have connected up a smart battery trickle charger (because the car is not garaged I cannot leave it connected) which has an output of 1.2 amps. This takes, on average about 14 hours to come back to fully charged. The arithmetic is not complicated so the alarm appears to be drawing about 50mA which in 168 hours (hours/week) is 8.4 Ah or 12% of a 68 Ah battery. Not that much different to mru's 15%

· Registered
6,905 Posts
Yes I have needed it occasionally. With the car being refuelled so infrequently due to Covid19 I find the flap is sticking even though the plunger has been lubricated and worked until nothing sticks and it releases as it should. Weeks later and it is sticking again.

I don't think the G takes kindly to not being used. Not only the filler flap sticking but the first time I started it after lockdown it struggled and eventually started but ran rough for a while. I decided it was due to the oil draining out of the Multiair unit.

· Registered
6,905 Posts
I had to have the pump replaced under warranty because when washing the rear it dribbled water over the front (without any wiper action). Apparently the pump is a single unit but two outlets with electronically controlled valves.

· Registered
6,905 Posts
The front dribble, I had on my 2013 and my 2017 Giulietta. Never thought to get it checked out, just thought it was a quirk!! Did the change of pump stop the dribble?
More or less. There is still a very slight trickle but originally it was strong enough to cover the windscreen sufficiently to hinder my vision. Needed to manually operate the front wipers to clear it each time I washed the rear window.

· Registered
6,905 Posts
Now you have made me feel guilty. I need to get mine cleaned and polished as it hasn't been done since the last time it was used back in December. However I keep thinking it will be warmer next week and then I look at the forecast and find it is due to get colder again.

· Registered
6,905 Posts
In the shop now getting a 170 000 km service, timing belt, w.p., accessory belt, oil & brake fluid change.
Yesterday she got an interior cleaning by myself of course. :D
As it's the first time she's getting a timing bj (belt job) it's kind of an emotional day. :p
Wish you all a good Monday.
Are you saying that at 170,000 km (106,000 miles) this is the first time the belts and pump have been changed? If so you have been living on borrowed time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts