Alfa Romeo Forum banner

761 - 780 of 794 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It is at the moment at prototype stage, final version will be available but sometime later (do not know when), surelly I need one more visit, as last time they took final measurements, and only in some time they will have ready exhaust pipe splitter so all tips smoke (currently outer only), so one more visit there is required. The company is Ulter Sport (Tłumiki Sportowe Ulter - Ulter Sport) I'm not sure if they have some UK distributors or sell directly (I know they sell a lot into Italy and Germany - they have really good value Giulia/Stelvio valved exhaust)
Thanks they do look great, I’d be interested to know the overall length of the finished product once finished.

Post a pic with the side view when you get chance to see how far the stick out.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,935 Posts
Thanks they do look great, I’d be interested to know the overall length of the finished product once finished.

Cheers

One thing to about is the change in sound and back pressure which may impact low down torque. @epsonix any change in exhaust note? 4 open outlets is a bit excessive for a 2.0 engine. Even on the Quad only one pair of outlets are open at any one time. Although it is still only a single pipe going into the rear silencer and these outlets are just the exits from the silencer.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Cheers

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Has anyone managed to lower their Giulia yet?
I’m looking at the Eibach Prokit springs on Alfist.net which lower the car by around 20-25mm.

I’m just a little concerned whether it will have a detrimental effect on handling and suspension geometry.

Cheers in advance for any advice gents 👍

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I did, and pasted info here in autumn 2019. As Q4 are set higher, promissed 25mm was joke (they claimed 25mm also for Q4s), front went down by 45mm and rear by 30, looks great, drive well, but I have problems with parking (80mm is the distance to lowest parts of inner arches plastics - mine are already bit broken because of this), so have plenty of scratches on front bumper bottom, as well on uneven terrain I manage to scrach mid of car, as well as twice I must hit something with my gearbox bottom. made complaint to Eibach Poland, they checked all loads, homologation numbers etc, and then **** me off, saying that I had raised car (hmm every Q4 was raised)
-25mm is real value for RWD and probably up to end of 2017 as later factory setups were set bit up as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I did, and pasted info here in autumn 2019. As Q4 are set higher, promissed 25mm was joke (they claimed 25mm also for Q4s), front went down by 45mm and rear by 30, looks great, drive well, but I have problems with parking (80mm is the distance to lowest parts of inner arches plastics - mine are already bit broken because of this), so have plenty of scratches on front bumper bottom, as well on uneven terrain I manage to scrach mid of car, as well as twice I must hit something with my gearbox bottom. made complaint to Eibach Poland, they checked all loads, homologation numbers etc, and then **** me off, saying that I had raised car (hmm every Q4 was raised)
-25mm is real value for RWD and probably up to end of 2017 as later factory setups were set bit up as far as I know.
that’s great info, cheers Epsonix, I’ll have a look back for your previous posts.

I have recently swapped out the OEM exhaust for a 3” Ragazzon system so if there is a bottoming out issue I think it could impact on the centre pipe which is now more pronounced than the OEM?

I will take another look tomorrow and see what potential problems there may be.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Has anyone managed to lower their Giulia yet?
I’m looking at the Eibach Prokit springs on Alfist.net which lower the car by around 20-25mm.

I’m just a little concerned whether it will have a detrimental effect on handling and suspension geometry.

Cheers in advance for any advice gents 👍
Seriously; I'm no expert on what it does to the handling/suspension etc. but I concur with @epsonix; I thinks these are low enough to experience good handling and you STILL get scrapes & scratches under the front bumper. I'd be tempted to leave as is ;)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
problem is that Q4s are not low enough, I got tempted by Eibach with their promise of -25mm, but got -45/-30 and that is too much for place I live so now need to be very carefull. I would love mid setup, so I even consider to change front to stock springs from RWD hoping for around +15mm vs what I have on front (Q4 is bit heavier so not thinking about +25 like is RWD)
Q4 stock:

a few km after putting Eibachs:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Seriously; I'm no expert on what it does to the handling/suspension etc. but I concur with @epsonix; I thinks these are low enough to experience good handling and you STILL get scrapes & scratches under the front bumper. I'd be tempted to leave as is ;)
Cheers Cybrnite, that’s my concern. I’ve probably just got itchy feet because I’m still furloughed and looking at my Giulia far too often out of the window. Need something else to occupy my mind ha!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
problem is that Q4s are not low enough, I got tempted by Eibach with their promise of -25mm, but got -45/-30 and that is too much for place I live so now need to be very carefull. I would love mid setup, so I even consider to change front to stock springs from RWD hoping for around +15mm vs what I have on front (Q4 is bit heavier so not thinking about +25 like is RWD)
Q4 stock:
View attachment 938319

a few km after putting Eibachs:
View attachment 938320
Your Veloce looks fantastic Epsonix and I do like that stance on the Eibach’s.

Need to weigh up the pros and cons. 👍

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
depends on roads- I'm livign in town where within borders we have summits above 1000m abvoe see level, hills all the time, and access road to my house is just bad shape (and hill) so it is bit pain, but I foudn the route within that road I can avoid scratches. I prefer better look, stock Q4 was way too high (if it was liek RWD then I would not change it).

·
Premium Member
2,935 Posts
Cheers Cybrnite, that’s my concern. I’ve probably just got itchy feet because I’m still furloughed and looking at my Giulia far too often out of the window. Need something else to occupy my mind ha!
If I recall correctly, the Eibach springs are progressive rate which I would avoid on a car like the Giulia. With a progressive or daul rate spring, under hard driving the softer initial portion gets compressed right through, leaving a limited amount of travel for the stiffer portion to deal with. This results in less compliance, less traction and a harsher ride when driving fast on poorer surfaced roads like most places in UK. The other issue is also damping. Rebound damping need to be matched to the spring rate and with dual rates the damping is thrown a bit off spec. The most important reason why the Giulia of all forms drive so well and still feel quite compliant compared to MB and BMWs is the damping from the factory is so well calibrated. IF you do wish to lower the car, I would go with a linear rate slightly stiffer spring that won't drop the car more than 3/4" ideally or 20- 25mm max.

KW also called ST springs make the best ones for the Giula IMHO, including the Quadrifoglio. It is bright yellow but I would get it powder coated black before fitting to preserve the OEM look and the no issues will be raised during servicing. They list the Veloce ones as Q4 but I think they will fit and lower the Standard RWD Veloces by 20mm which is perfect.

On my earlier 2.0 I took the following measurements on 2017 factory springs.
You can see the lowest point at ~11.5 cm is the Front inner wheel arch corner which aligns with the gearbox location I suspect.

Front bottom wheel arch
inner corner = 4" 5/8, 11.5cm
Outer corner = 5" 3/8, 13.5 cm

Rear bottom wheel arch
inner = 5" 7/8, 14.7cm
Outer = 7", 17.5cm

Front bumper middle = 6" 3/4, 17 cm.

Reactions: paultrim

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
progressive springs are only for lighter Giulias with manual gearbox. version offered for AT8 (and AT8+Q4) is linear. note that Eibach does not offer springs for Giulias equipped with active dampers.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
progressive springs are only for lighter Giulias with manual gearbox. version offered for AT8 (and AT8+Q4) is linear. note that Eibach does not offer springs for Giulias equipped with active dampers.
So the springs available on the Alfisti site all state they are progressive, but suitable for the Q4 (which I would assume is heavier than the Q2) & the Veloce? This is where I am getting confused as to the negative effects on lowering if the springs arent actually suitable for the suspension setup on the car?

It does sound like I could be opening a can of worms lowering my Veloce and possibly one mod too far. :unsure:

I did notice from an earlier post by Hector56 that he had lowered his Veloce at some point, would be good to hear his feedback after driving the car for a while now and how or if he has felt any change to the dynamics and stability.

·
Premium Member
2,935 Posts
Cheers for this MG, did you lower your Super in the end?
No I did'nt in the end as I was concerned there would not be enough ground clearance at the lowest point and I may end up damaging the gearbox casing cover if I went over a road hump at the wrong angle or I bottom out on the back roads. I believe the gearbox casing cover is some form of plastic!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
there could be mistakes everywhere (can't remember but either for 159 or for Giulia they shown M12 bolts as right for spacers where they are M14) - info about each spring I took from TUVs from Eibach website if I remember correctly - best go to eibach germany website, it is also in english version ,and check in documents.. My interpretation is that any AT8 no matter with with or without either Q2 or Q4 needs the same springs for higher loads (of course as long as it fits into max load - too many options may put it out of possibility to use them). Only MT6 2.2d without any heavy equipment (like soon roof) woudl fit into limits of lighter versions which were indicated as progressive in documents.

761 - 780 of 794 Posts