Alfa Romeo Forum banner

2501 - 2520 of 2534 Posts

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
When the 156 was launched I was running a Snap On tools franchise, I still remember walking into the Alfa Romeo dealer, my jaw dropped and eyes popped out of my head when I saw the 156 for the first time, a car I should have owned, nearly did but in error bought something else.
I did buy one and it pretty much changed my whole life!. I still love the 156, wish I could justify buying another.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Yep, I'd like one too, but how much garage space does anyone have? I wish I had kept my Brera S but it had to go for the same reason.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
When the 156 was launched I was running a Snap On tools franchise, I still remember walking into the Alfa Romeo dealer, my jaw dropped and eyes popped out of my head when I saw the 156 for the first time, a car I should have owned, nearly did but in error bought something else.
My bro had a 156 2.4 JTD sportwagon as a company car for three years and loved it apart form the suspension needing rebuilding every year.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
You might have noticed that we have had a fair bit of precipitation lately, oh you haven't well you don't live in the NW then. Anyway, the Super's footwells now resemble fish ponds. I replaced the door seals about a year ago so I had a look at the door cards and the plastic membranes. Door cards were wet at the base and the membranes were not fixed at the base.

I bought some heavy duty tarpaulin from Wickes for £5 cut it out and fixed it to the doors making sure that it was well fixed at the bottom so hopefully this will eradicate the fish pond syndrome. I won't know for a couple of days as the de-humidifier is busy drying out the carpets.:titanic:

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
hopefully that will hold for you.

But really, the secret is not to glue them at the bottom, but to tuck them in at the bottom.

That way the water runs down the membrane and out the door drains.
Good point. I might revisit it if I get future water ingress issues.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Good point. I might revisit it if I get future water ingress issues.
Now, that reminds me of the door membranes on my Alfa 75. they were attached with clips at the bottom, and turned up into a 'J' shape. I guess the water was supposed to run down the membrane, and drip off the bottom of the 'J'. It must have worked to some extent, as I only needed to keep dessicant silica gel in to keep the morning mist at bay. The door cards remained in very good shape. The car cover and dehumidifier are going back on the Alfetta tomorrow, I dread to think how much water is inside the car right now.

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
402 Posts
Alfetta distributor

Over the years I've spent many hours fiddling with the weights, springs and stops in my Alfetta's distributor in order to get exactly the advance curve that I want - but never again!

Today I fitted my new 123 TUNE+ distributor - took about 40 minutes in total.

Installation and setup were very easy and now I can create and store advance curves on my phone and upload them to the distributor via Bluetooth, which is really cool! Also has vacuum advance (which improves mpg and emissions if set correctly), rev limiter, immobiliser.

Car starts, runs and drives perfectly with no flat spots, a smoother idle and truly seamless power delivery - I love it.

Probably lots of people on here have this, but I think it's an astonishing piece of kit. The only improvement I can think of would be to add a fake vacuum capsule, to make it look even more like the Original Bosch distributor that it has replaced! :rotate:

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Over the years I've spent many hours fiddling with the weights, springs and stops in my Alfetta's distributor in order to get exactly the advance curve that I want - but never again!

Today I fitted my new 123 TUNE+ distributor - took about 40 minutes in total.

Installation and setup were very easy and now I can create and store advance curves on my phone and upload them to the distributor via Bluetooth, which is really cool! Also has vacuum advance (which improves mpg and emissions if set correctly), rev limiter, immobiliser.

Car starts, runs and drives perfectly with no flat spots, a smoother idle and truly seamless power delivery - I love it.

Probably lots of people on here have this, but I think it's an astonishing piece of kit. The only improvement I can think of would be to add a fake vacuum capsule, to make it look even more like the Original Bosch distributor that it has replaced! :rotate:
Fitted a 123 five years ago and its an excellent piece of kit, points are a PITA and the 123 eliminates all that nonsense, just wish it had been around when I was running brit iron in my youf

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Nice Alfa turn out at this mornings Great Escape Cars and Coffee this morning. Delorttos responding well to the cool morning air 👌🏻

Attachments

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
402 Posts
Fitted a 123 five years ago and its an excellent piece of kit, points are a PITA and the 123 eliminates all that nonsense, just wish it had been around when I was running brit iron in my youf
Good to hear that yours has been working well for five years...

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
You might have noticed that we have had a fair bit of precipitation lately, oh you haven't well you don't live in the NW then. Anyway, the Super's footwells now resemble fish ponds. I replaced the door seals about a year ago so I had a look at the door cards and the plastic membranes. Door cards were wet at the base and the membranes were not fixed at the base.

I bought some heavy duty tarpaulin from Wickes for £5 cut it out and fixed it to the doors making sure that it was well fixed at the bottom so hopefully this will eradicate the fish pond syndrome. I won't know for a couple of days as the de-humidifier is busy drying out the carpets.:titanic:
Update:
Heavy rain last night. Checked to carpets with no small amount of trepidation as I put my hand on the carpet to see if they were wet or not. So far so good they are all nice and dry.

I did notice that the rear windscreen seal is past it's best and needs replacement. I ran a small bead of sealant along it to prevent water ingress.

Things to do now:
1. Get the rear screen seal replaced
2. Get the heater fan working again.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
TV shoot??? Whats this pray tell?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Exotic location shoot in ... Birmingham .....for ahem....groundbreaking series "Doctors".....apparently the cast loved my spider and thought it was very exotic as they'd never seen one before

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Never seen one before???:yikes:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
In that case I hope your put the price up Martin... with it being a rarity...

QUOTE=Joe90GT;17532179]Exotic location shoot in ... Birmingham .....for ahem....groundbreaking series "Doctors".....apparently the cast loved my spider and thought it was very exotic as they'd never seen one before[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Never seen one before???:yikes:
Yeah, I thought that was odd but the guy who I dealt with asked when's the last time I saw a S2 Spider out on the road when you haven't been going to a show? , and he's right when you think about it, because we live, breathe, show, fix and talk Alfa's but that doesn't mean that the ordinary Joe knows anything about classics.

2501 - 2520 of 2534 Posts