Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Went for a short run to charge the battery, as it wasn't raining for once and the rads weren't that salty! Was good to be back in the 164, but I find that I miss the seat heaters from my more modern car....!

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Nice round trip of about 130 miles on Sunday then turned over 164,000 miles as it was going to the lockup to be SORNed. 166 3.0

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Administrator
87,501 Posts

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Good man! Looks sweet

Reactions: Pomeo and hami

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've been missing from AO for a few years (getting divorced tends to drive one off-grid :-0). I guess less activity here shows how increasing rare the sight of a 166 is today!

Anyway, i'm hoping to have her taxed and insured as soon as this lock-down is over.
On the to-do list is:

Belts + waterpump
Oil + filter
Heater/aircon/matrix hasn't work properly in 10 years!
Dark ICS
Central Locking is toast
Windows and Doors need lubricated
Boot switch in glove compartment not working
Oooh And only have one half melted key (long story)

If anyone has any "easier" or economic fixes for these i'd be grateful

Where's Pomeo ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have just replaced the heater matrix and blower motor on my 1999 166 3.0L V6 Sportronic, only to find that the gearbox ECU had already been damaged (stuck in park, 3rd gear only after activating manual release tag). The gearbox ECU has the following codes:

Bosch 0260002453
ZF 6058001056
Fiat 464649360

Does anyone know where I can source a used ECU (I assume its no longer possible to buy a new one from Fiat or from old dealer stock somewhere) ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I took my 1994 164 LS (Super to the rest of the world) out of storage a few weeks ago, gave her a wash, took some photos and then put her back in storage.

Cheers. Jeff, Dallas, Texas IMG_20200531_152651.jpg IMG_20200531_152619.jpg IMG_20200531_152605.jpg

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi,

I have just replaced the heater matrix and blower motor on my 1999 166 3.0L V6 Sportronic, only to find that the gearbox ECU had already been damaged (stuck in park, 3rd gear only after activating manual release tag). The gearbox ECU has the following codes:

Bosch 0260002453
ZF 6058001056
Fiat 464649360

Does anyone know where I can source a used ECU (I assume its no longer possible to buy a new one from Fiat or from old dealer stock somewhere) ?
I saw one on eBay about a year ago, but it was not cheap! I will check around later today.. (I had this exact issue when I got my 2001 about a year ago)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Put the battery onto trickle charge.

Frustratingly though the ICS has gone dark. On the last outing it flickered a bit and then went dim and then out entirely.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I've been missing from AO for a few years (getting divorced tends to drive one off-grid :-0). I guess less activity here shows how increasing rare the sight of a 166 is today!

Anyway, i'm hoping to have her taxed and insured as soon as this lock-down is over.
On the to-do list is:

Belts + waterpump
Oil + filter
Heater/aircon/matrix hasn't work properly in 10 years!
Dark ICS
Central Locking is toast
Windows and Doors need lubricated
Boot switch in glove compartment not working
Oooh And only have one half melted key (long story)

If anyone has any "easier" or economic fixes for these i'd be grateful

Where's Pomeo ?
Sorry to hear that Hami. Got divorced myself in Jan 2019 (separated since Oct 2013).
Pomeo is still lurking bless him

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Put the battery onto trickle charge.

Frustratingly though the ICS has gone dark. On the last outing it flickered a bit and then went dim and then out entirely.
Been doing all mine Keep forgetting to disconnect the earth when not using for a while.BUTT days go to weeks then months then Oh dear CHARGER. Laceys ICS did the same 2 months ago.

I saw one on eBay about a year ago, but it was not cheap! I will check around later today.. (I had this exact issue when I got my 2001 about a year ago)
I recall years ago JONC GOT MEGA MONEY for an auto ecu sending it to CHILE IIRC....Better ooops cheaper buying the whole cat to get ecu but BIGGER problem with what to do wie the rest of the car UNLESS like when i bought Lucy just to get the G3 Sat Nav BUTT it was a better car pink wing an awe 🤣

Sorry to hear that Hami. Got divorced myself in Jan 2019 (separated since Oct 2013).
Pomeo is still lurking bless him
Me aussi hamster Happens tay the best of us . Is having 4 braw 166s grounds for Mrs P (NB She seems tay thinks so . I just cannae unnerstawn it. Seeing my Stag I sold 34 years aqgo still being driven locally makes me MORE determined to keep these beasties OR BUY the Stag back and stick Pomeos 2.5 innit.
Anyway Hami Theres always the sun .
Ony ways Brand Noo Yassa Marrowfat 100AH Battery in Tia the other day. Washed her the day and hey PRESTO Russian roulette when locking her .Then after the usual Duke of York watching the door buttons I E when they were up they were up Whne they were doon thet were doon and the other wan s in weird comination did their ain thing.

THEN FLASHBACK You lock the passenger door yah daftie. I wiz jist like a CALLING in MANIFEST. Wired that .

Ony way its hard daying a Bruce Springsteen "Typing in the Dark"

Auld Dug Noo Twicks. Downloaded sum App on the telly Devo or summit ans watched him singing you never can tell .Fair uplifted the spirit.

Tomorrow err oops today Pit a bulb or whatever behind the mileometer as its dead embarring every MOT when they have to shine a light to get reading. Had hoped it would have done a LAcey and healed itself .Bo Beep Syndrome.
Oh Fur Coat The Skooshers need clearing oot.Whirring but dry windaes.

Awe ra best

Pomeo

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Goodness Pomie-I think we need to pour the vino into you to get you typing in Engrish again! :LOL:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not today but extensive work done over the last two months after recovering the QV24 from storage:
(a) replaced engine mounts, upper and lower right (difficult to find parts all in one place).
(b) replaced the pair of V-belt idler pulleys (original ones no longer available, tried Gates T36008 and modified to fit).
(c) replaced the V-belt, difficult to find exact length as it is odd size.
(d) refurbished the QV rims (long stories about the rivet nuts - there is a long story in the Dutch site).
(e) rebuilt the rear calipers and replaced all brake pads with ceramic low dust pads.
(f) replaced all four dated tires with Michelin PS4.
(g) replaced the electronic shocks with a coiled spring system (there is a very long debate on various options in the US site - after removing and checking the state of the original electronic shocks, I gave up rebuilding option and went for a total replacement with a coiled set called "Yellow Racing".
(h) full service replacing all fluids.
(i) replaced the front grille and badge.
IMG_6762.JPG
IMG_6767.JPG
IMG_6862.JPG
IMG_6859.JPG

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Well, I have to say, it can be jolly lonely, being a 164 at times! Went to AutoItalia today, as it's probably the only show I'll get to this year. It was at Raby Castle, near Darlington. A good turnout (a few hundred cars, I reckon) but I was the only 164 there. What a state of affairs when the Ferraris are more common than the 164s eh?!

A few 166 examples too. I was quite taken with this one:

IMG_20200905_111400.jpg

And then, of course, there was all yer common-as-muck Ferrari, Maserati and Lamborghini Stuff...

IMG_20200905_122521s.jpg

IMG_20200905_122910s.jpg

Never did manage to get the Delta Integrale out of my system, mind...

IMG_20200905_124028s.jpg

And it was worth going, just to see a Ferrari with brake discs bigger than my wheels!

IMG_20200905_122749s.jpg

Lovely setting too!

IMG_20200905_111620.jpg

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
This had quite a bit of work done to it to get it back on the road (should I take the thread title absolutely literally?) I polished it on Saturday after getting the 4 wheels aligned.

Reactions: Pomeo and paul.o

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Tomorrow err oops today Pit a bulb or whatever behind the mileometer as its dead embarring every MOT when they have to shine a light to get reading. Had hoped it would have done a LAcey and healed itself .Bo Beep Syndrome.
Oh Fur Coat The Skooshers need clearing oot.Whirring but dry windaes.

Awe ra best

Pomeo
Yeeze;ll nevr believe IT...Oh yes you will MAn how time fries.
2 monfs gone in a blink of the eye...

Well yesterday rammed needles intay the skoosher jets and now guid again.
Went to do the milometer bulb 2 months ago minus a day but didnae do it as couldn't find my allen keys AND , dont know if its connected to BLM or alfa gearknobs or what but my fingers came awe black and stuck to my speedo dash unit and ive hud sticky fingers BUTT this stuff Oh MAn so bulb didnae get dun.

BUT

Today Tia passed hur MOT. Just need to source rear upper mounts (FUR LUCY) or get sum fabricated as I bought a couple or merc mountings 9recalled the herrknuckle etc) BUT they were baith too small

Did thon auld pop song "SHINE A LIGHT" tay get the mileage reading.Only 300m miles since last MOT.

This was the yaer I was going to knock up her mileage but covidivity and 5 mile mileage restriction soon pit paid tay that BUT knowing what I ken noo and coupled wie my bad eyesight I sjould have driven tay Pink Panther Country (Durhum Durhum etc and seen thon castle.

I suspect we nay be oan the slippery sloope tay independence as Boris gaot peoples backs up by saying theyll never be a border between England and Scotland OH WELL Yell but the hjoys oer dear I recal Alex the fish saying theyll never be a UKIP MEP in Scotland ( Oh Is that wright Alex) Well guess what (wink smiliey) Yes I voted wisely

Anyway hope yeeze are awe well

Avo that 166 has yer name on it.
Mufasa Thats a braw 166 yeeve goat. My dim eyes cannae see IF thats the greay coloutr I love BUT (Tay "" BIG JC The millionaire maker " GOD ,I love they wheels" Hope the Limoncello has helped the nicht.

QVHK >>> QV IF yer in Hong kong day ewe have a seam for rear upper mounts or a spares list for the chinese equivalent of the 166 which shares the platform...Trumpchi IIRC.

Will tackle speedo bulb tomorrow mibbe as when driving in the night that red TI lighting is so soothing.

Pomeo

21 - 40 of 44 Posts