Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What have you done to your Alfa 164/166 today?

22524 Views 230 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  David P
?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,292 Posts
Well, I have to say, it can be jolly lonely, being a 164 at times! Went to AutoItalia today, as it's probably the only show I'll get to this year. It was at Raby Castle, near Darlington. A good turnout (a few hundred cars, I reckon) but I was the only 164 there. What a state of affairs when the Ferraris are more common than the 164s eh?!

A few 166 examples too. I was quite taken with this one:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alfa romeo Alfa romeo 166

And then, of course, there was all yer common-as-muck Ferrari, Maserati and Lamborghini Stuff...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sports car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Supercar

Never did manage to get the Delta Integrale out of my system, mind...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Classic car

And it was worth going, just to see a Ferrari with brake discs bigger than my wheels!

Alloy wheel Wheel Tire Rim Vehicle

Lovely setting too!

Castle Fortification Building Medieval architecture Waterway

· Registered
2,292 Posts
Howdy....

Think I might have cocked up today....

I made a mistake whilst doing a few bits such as lower suspension arm dust cover and front discs and pads etc. However, I had read somewhere what the disc retaining bolt was accessed through the hub.

So I unscrewed the bolt but have realised that it was actually one of the bolts for the wheel bearing housing.
I then tried to screw it back in but it won't bite!!

Any advice greatly appreciated....

Also happy to take the abuse for being a numpty
Is this a 164 or a 166?

If I've understood correctly, you've undone the very large nut in the centre of the hub, that goes on to the end of the driveshaft, is that correct? On some cars, that's a left-handed thread on one side of the car, so just check you're turning it the right way. Let us know which car, (also which engine, transmission and year), and someone might be able to help more.

· Registered
2,292 Posts
Makes a huge difference. I also did rear struts. Waiting for front sway bar links.
Great to hear about 164s getting "shown some love"! I don't know if they're available in the 'States, but the big rubber bush on the rear end of the front wishbone is thought to contribute a lot to the toque steer. You can buy stiffer aftermarket polyurethane bushes, (which I use once the OEM ones have gone soggy), and they do seem to make a noticeable difference for not much penalty in harshness.

· Registered
2,292 Posts
Sorry forgot to include those snippets...

166 2.5 2003 Manual

No it's not the big nut it is the clean one here.... View attachment 947074
Sorry, I've never worked on a 166! Those look like socket head bolts (e.g. Allen bolts or Torx). How did you get the key or bit into the head to undo it? Is there a hole in the axle flange? If so, take the screw right out and have a look at the thread on the end to see if it's damaged. Hopefully, the corresponding female thread in the upright won't be damaged.

· Registered
2,292 Posts
Isn't it just a complete bolt-on bearing pack though? i.e. if the hub nut isn't disturbed, the whole assembly is just held to the upright by those cap head bolts? I'd be inclined to turn the hub so that the hole lines up with each caphead in turn, and slacken the ones that are tight, then have another go at starting that one in the photo again. Possibly with a screwdriver wedged against the rim of the cap head bolt and the back face of the flange, to try and push it into engage with its threads. Still a risk of cross-threading, but I'd be inclined to do that first, before shelling-out on a new bearing?

· Registered
2,292 Posts
Well, I started the 164 up today, after its water pump, timing belt and a few other bits and pieces. Not 100% successful, it has to be said. On the plus side, the engine still runs, so it looks lie the belt went on in the right place! However, I tried replacing the o-rings on the hydraulic belt de-tensioner stud and backplate with the closest, easily available size I could find here in the UK and I'm not sure I've got away with it. I didn't run the engine for long (need more antifreeze so the coolant isn't up to the right level yet), but I thought I could see the tiniest weep from the end of the tensioner stud. :(

Will try running it for longer once I've got more antifreeze.

Also replaced the brake master cylinder, because I had a lot of pedal travel, but I now have EVEN MORE pedal travel. :(:(. Looks like more bleeding will be necessary!

Oh well, such are the tribulations of aged Alfa maintenance... It's not like I had anywhere to go in this lockdown anyway!

· Registered
2,292 Posts
You could not find the right overhaul kit for the de-tensioner?
They do still exist, Jason at Alfissimo International has them at a reasonable price (although it gets a bit more expensive with UK shipping and duties) but just at present, getting goods into the UK is something of a problem... :(. I don't really want to risk things getting lost amongst the piles of rotting fish and vegetables at our borders!

The other reason, of course, is that I'm mean! I can swap the leaking o-rings for a very small amount of money and, if they work, I have the reference numbers for more o-rings long after the rebuild kits become unavailable. It's just an experiment, really.

· Registered
2,292 Posts
I've managed to rule out the washer pump as to why the windscreen washer has stopped working.

Pump runs fine when connected directly to the battery.

I did notice a fair amount of corrosion/oxidation on the terminals.

I connected the volt meter but tbh I'm not really sure what I'm looking at... And don't say a volt meter 🤣🤪

View attachment 973700

Happy to be educated.... 😎
Put the meter one click to the right of where it is now, so that the maximum scale is 20 volts. Your car is 12 Volts (maybe up to 15 with the engine running) so you won't harm the meter.

However, for "high current" fault-finding, a meter isn't very useful. It might show 12V across the two wires going to the pump, but there could be a high resistance, so it will carry very little current - insufficient to turn the pump motor. You'd be better off with a test lamp. If you don't have one, just find a 12 Volt bulb (for example from a side light or courtesy light) and connect that across the wires to the pump, then activate the washer control on the stalk, and see if the bulb lights up. If the terminals are corroded, you might find the wires, where they crimp on to the connectors, are also bad.

· Registered
2,292 Posts
It's a common problem on many makes of car. Sometimes, you're better cutting the whole connector off, along with an inch or two of wire if the loom is long enough, and crimping new spade terminals on from somewhere like Halfords. The only thing is, make a note of which wire goes to which terminal, because the correct connector will be "idiot-proofed" so it can only go on the correct way, whereas the separate terminals can, of course, go on either way.

· Registered
2,292 Posts
Well, I must say, I was rather proud of the old shed this weekend. Went to a wedding in Bristol, from Cumbria. 33 years old, turned the key, and it just went. Horrendous problems on Friday, with the M6 closed just North of Preston. 3 hours+ was the delay. We came off at Lancaster and meandered along the West Coast, near where I used to live and work, many years ago, but you still can't cross the river Ribble any further West than Preston, so the traffic in Preston was horrendous. As stiff a test as any for the clutch and cooling system! After that, we just carried on to Bristol. About 330 miles in total, with the enforced detour.

The return trip was better, but still busy, stop-start where the M5 met the M6. The trip was brightened up somewhat by a guy in the outside lane next to me on an '80s bike, waving and pointing at the 164, giving me the thumbs-up!

I took plenty of tools with me, but they just ended up being dead weight. I put about a cupful of oil in it when we got to Bristol, but that was about it. The last three fillups have been 36 MPG, 32 MPG and 36 again. The aircon worked pretty hard, there and back too. Basically, I'm really struggling to think of anything to moan about! There can't be many cars that age, that you can just get in and drive 700 miles, trouble-free...

· Registered
2,292 Posts
Okay last post for this thing I promise, lol.

I was able to put a "cap" on top without supports, so now can be pushed/maneuvered through and stays inside. Now if it will last...

View attachment 980939
View attachment 980938

Nice idea! (Fortunately, early 164s weren't encumbered by such technology)! What material are you using? Remember that nylon is a bugger for absorbing water and swelling up, over time, so if it's nylon, make sure they don't go tight on the balls after a while. (Nobody wants that...) ;)

· Registered
2,292 Posts
I'm not certain, but I think TPU is pretty bad for absorbing water too? See how you go. I guess it'll start squeaking if it fails, but on the other hand, it will also wear a bit, so maybe they'll cancel out?!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts