Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 4429 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,941
After a few days at the girlfriends in east sussex and getting the car blasted by gale force winds and rain and negotiating the utterly ****e :censored: road surfaces down there on the back roads. I got my car home and gave her a complete wash and detail. Branch fell on my bonnet as i made my way through the ashdown forest section of the bloody miserable journey. Amazingly not even a scratch. So all that detail and polish must be working.

Also have some more goodies on the way from Japan and Italy..:biglaugh: She should look awesome for the spring. Still saving my pennies for the 2nd clutch fitment in 5k miles. This time a bespoke unit made to Joel's specifications at JTD performance. Joel has the same stage 2 unit on his 500nm 293bhp 147 big turbo car. So fingers crossed this should be good for a good while when fitted.

Also waiting to make an appointment with Ryan at wizard to make my rear brace bar piece, for the rear of the car, after my seat delete a year ago. Toying with powder coating it red.

Damien.

·
Administrator
86,637 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,943 (Edited)
Little pic from today.

Damien.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Horn fixed and registration transferred!

I bought my 2005 Alfa GT two weeks ago and when I went to get the inspection certificate they failed me because the horn didn't work. Lesson: always check the horn when you test drive a used car! (particularly an Alfa).

Took it to the mechanic today and turns out it was the much publicized problem of the corroded circuit board behind the driver's airbag. He was able to solder the wires to reroute the circuit board and the horn is OK now.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
highly likely....I hope its done in time for you though (whilst secretly not holding out much hope)
Well I was right, as were you Joe....

Car has been at the garage a week, and so far absolutely zero repair work has been carried out.

Repairs we're only re-approved yesterday, based on the revised estimate after stripping off the broken bits and inspecting for damage behind the bumper.

:censored:

It had better be a nice hire car they've got waiting for me!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,946 (Edited)
Well been busy finishing off my tail lights today. To keep you up to speed, i never liked the orange tinge in the lense. So after a little research and study, i decided to get the translucent paint to tint them red. This job takes time to do properly and get the right finish. You need to have motivation and the patience of a saint. Lots of time wet sanding the finish after paint and lacquer stages. And leaving the newly sprayed surface to harden.

Anyhow today saw the last phase, final wet sanding and compound polish. And they really have come up very well. Took a few photos to show you the difference in my old and newly painted lense. I can honestly say the finished article has the smooth finish of the oem lense. Also with the wet sanding process i removed any raised letters on the plastic lense. And yes the indicators still flash orange. You have to be mindful of how many coats of translucent red you apply. I only applied 2 coats, and that was enough. The lacquer does a nice job of slightly darkening them anyhow.

Sorry i have no better pictures of her, i was caught out by darkness.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been tinkering with my new 147 1.6 TS for the last few days.

I have fitted a tension gateway so i can listen to my iPod. A great bit of kit. Very good sound quality. although the control through the stereo is quite limited.

I Treated her to a a decent wash. Started with bilt hamber snow foam. Followed that with their auto wash. She looked great and was tucked away in the garage.

Today she got new front wiper blades and a dog guard fitted.

I checked the oil and levels. All good.

Shes booked into sunnyside garage for a new thermostat and some other bits and bobs. They've already done the cambelt, water pump and cam variator. So far I'm very impressed with the service from them.

On the to do list is a new windscreen. As the current has been scratched by wipers.

Full dinitrol rust proofing.

maybe some new tyres as the current ones seem to drone at motorway cruising speeds.

I'm very impressed with this car. Its my first alfa and it has surpassed expectations. Comfy, quick and handles superbly. Im impressed with the quality of materials used in the cabin and it has all the toys I would want.

Only problem is that I have come on here and seen all the GTA's, GT's and 159 sportwagens! Which look fantastic cars.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I have been tinkering with my new 147 1.6 TS for the last few days.

I have fitted a tension gateway so i can listen to my iPod. A great bit of kit. Very good sound quality. although the control through the stereo is quite limited.

I Treated her to a a decent wash. Started with bilt hamber snow foam. Followed that with their auto wash. She looked great and was tucked away in the garage.

Today she got new front wiper blades and a dog guard fitted.

I checked the oil and levels. All good.

Shes booked into sunnyside garage for a new thermostat and some other bits and bobs. They've already done the cambelt, water pump and cam variator. So far I'm very impressed with the service from them.

On the to do list is a new windscreen. As the current has been scratched by wipers.

Full dinitrol rust proofing.

maybe some new tyres as the current ones seem to drone at motorway cruising speeds.

I'm very impressed with this car. Its my first alfa and it has surpassed expectations. Comfy, quick and handles superbly. Im impressed with the quality of materials used in the cabin and it has all the toys I would want.

Only problem is that I have come on here and seen all the GTA's, GT's and 159 sportwagens! Which look fantastic cars.

The 147 1.6 twinnie is a fine car Tom, a really good one to get used to all the Alfa quirks on, sounds like you will look after it well and sell it on in lovely condition as and when you are ready. replace it with a nice GT,GTA 159, or Brera and the fun will just increase (funnily enough in direct correlation to the HP:biglaugh:

In the meantime there is actually a lot less to go wrong on your car than on the 1.9 diesel (which I have in my GT) you can't beat a small NA petrol for reliability.

I would say get a GT when the time comes, but then I am a bit biased!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was after an N/A petrol. due ti the fact that there is less to go wrong. Also not knowing what the future holds with diesel fuel. I was looking at golfs but my Dad found this car just round the corner. 1 elderly owner from new and just 47k from new. There are a few niggles but it is a 15 year old car now. and for what i paid it is a steal.

The plan is to keep her for the next 5 years or so until our mortgage comes to an end. Then treat myself to something a bit special.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I was after an N/A petrol. due ti the fact that there is less to go wrong. Also not knowing what the future holds with diesel fuel. I was looking at golfs but my Dad found this car just round the corner. 1 elderly owner from new and just 47k from new. There are a few niggles but it is a 15 year old car now. and for what i paid it is a steal.

The plan is to keep her for the next 5 years or so until our mortgage comes to an end. Then treat myself to something a bit special.
Definitely a good move! I would recommend to avoid any Golf outside warranty like the plague! My mother has owned 3 Golf's over the last 15 years and the first one was great but the 2002 and 2006 models she got were nothing but trouble after the warranty ended. Massive bills and completely unreliable. Hence why I laugh every time someone talks about German reliability and build quality and tried to make fun of me owning Alfa's. Safe to say my family are never touching a VW again!

You'll find the TS is a lovely engine. I've never driven one in 1.6 form but had a 2.0 GTV and just yesterday picked up a lovely 2.0 TS 156 Sportwagon with tan leather which I am loving! They're great engines and excellent if you want to learn how to use the spanners since there is such fantastic information on this forum and they are really simple engines to work on. Especially oil changes. Don't even need to jack the car up so long as you have a shallow oil pan to catch the old oil in.

Regarding what I am doing to my 156 SW; giving her an oil, filter and coolant change next week and then I will be getting her up on a hoist for an inspection so that I can start planning my summer upgrades. Hoping to get a Novitec Cup suspension kit and replace all bushings and wishbones if necessary along with a stainless Novitec exhaust.....though the girlfriend might kill me first :paranoid:

Also need to sort out a decent headunit as the PO put some complete POS unit in and I'm pretty sure they didn't wire it properly so I will probably need to rip it out sometime this week and take a look and see if I can fix the mistakes the previous monkey made when putting the unit in. But ultimately I hope to replace it in a couple weeks with a unit with bluetooth and AUX input support.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Paddy

Thanks for the heads up regarding the glass polish. I've been looking at different options but couldn't find any thing until you mentioned Cerium Oxide. I'll definitely look into it.

Inffact I've just ordered some glass polish and pads!

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Paddy

Thanks for the heads up regarding the glass polish. I've been looking at different options but couldn't find any thing until you mentioned Cerium Oxide. I'll definitely look into it.

Inffact I've just ordered some glass polish and pads!
You'll need an electric polisher though. I wouldn't want to attempt it by hand.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Needed to give the car a good run today for the 1st time in a while after having service, new oil cooler and 2 new front tyres in the past few weeks. So I noticed at 11.15am on twitter that Liverpool u21's were playing Man City at Anfield with a 2pm kickoff. Perfect. So my 2 girls and wife got ready and we left for anfield from Stourbridge, west midlands at five past 12, motorway empty so arrived in Liverpool at 1.25pm.

The Busso was immense average 95 on the clear motorway and she returned 26mpg:yes: I avoided the motorways, as usual when I visit Anfield on the way back, coming through chester, Delaware and stoke, some great roads and good views and having the 3.2 I never got held up for long :byebye:

The new Goodyear AS2's have made a massive difference upfront, endless grip, less crashing over bumps so much less noise in the cabin, car just feels much more solid. But....

Parking up in Liverpool I got an ABS/VDC fail light, so switched it off and restarted and it disappeared :irked: Same thing happened with a low voltage light a few weeks back and everything checked out fine, so no idea of what could be around the corner:paranoid:. But for the meantime the car is running and feeling the best it has ever done so I just need to enjoy it and stop worrying:yes:

Car in garage yet again tomorrow to have sills put right, hopefully. I will be getting the Gearbox oil changed as well as I have no idea when it was last done, the gear change is fine at the minute, so I want to keep it that way.

1941 - 1960 of 4429 Posts