Alfa Romeo Forum banner
5141 - 5160 of 5304 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 usually undercuts the rest of the competition, I've used them for years and they've never been anything but excellent.
By undercutting you mean better/same performance just cheaper? Because here in Hungary there's like 2.5 GBP price difference per tyre.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah in the UK Goodyear tyres are somehow quite a bit cheaper than their other rivals.

Buy Cheap 225/45 R17 Tyres Online And Fitted Locally | Blackcircles.com

That's the size for my 156, although somehow F1 are even cheaper than EfficientGrip. I thought F1 was the sports tyre and EG were the normal family car one...
What's your offset? Mine is 35 on a 7.5J TI wheel. There's currently a 215/45 R17 tire on it, but I want to go with the 225/45 as it's more of a standard fitment. I'm a tad concerned about clearance, but since I can fit my finger between the tire and the suspension component it should be fine with 0.5 cm, as my finger is about 2 cm.

On a different note, I got my car back from the mechanic. The side skirts were fixed and I got 2 years of MOT. Next year I'll have to get new side skirts as this was just patched up for the MOT.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice to see some pics :cool:

After a terrible experience with some part worns I swore only to buy premium tyres, and in the decade since then I've only bought Goodyear. I replaced the part worns with Duragrip, the car was nothing special (90s Fiesta, 1.25 sigma engine) but it was transformed with those tyres. I could throw it around corners with confidence. My next car got the Efficientgrip and the 147 got them too. Never really considered Eagle F1, just stuck with what I know, partly because of the lower rolling resistance. Only thing that would put me off about the Eagles is the assymmetric tread, I know it's beneficial for grip but it means you can't necessarily swap the wheels around if you need to. More than anything I generally end up with Goodyear tyres because, as mentioned earlier, they tend to be the best rated least expensive premium tyre I can find.

When I got the 147 it had Falken tyres on the front. I know some people rate them but they were definitely not as grippy and wore down way more quickly than I expected. Much as I was happy to get rid of them I was surprised how quickly I needed to! Premium is always worth the money, in my opinion.

Reactions: Negativvv

·
Registered
216 Posts
Got my aircon regassed and... argh... they didn't put the plastic caps back on the valves. Assume this isn't dangerous but it makes me twitch a bit. Is nice to have cold air through the blowers though!

Reactions: RyderGaming

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just ordered my summer tires (I know it's almost August) I ended up with Pirelli P Zero XL tires in 225/45 R17. They are slightly older with them being made in 2018, but I got a pretty good deal on them with 21 pounds cheaper for the set than the Eagle F1/PremiumContact6.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Spent about 3 hours cleaning the car after work, and I didn't even do any polishing!!!

Just a good wash, interior hoover, some rubber protector on all the seals, some silicone on the hinges etc.

Was only because I recently cleared the ivy off the garage so I can probably keep the car cleaner now...

·
Premium Member
2004 156 3.2 converted 24v V6 with Q System
13 Posts
Just done my first DYI home powder coating of engine parts whilst doing a full rebuild and mods to my 3.2 Busso, 1 coat of base silver, three coats of translucent red to get the shade i wanted and then 1 coat of Ultra Gloss clear. Looking forward to doing the rest of the parts... there is alot to do ....lol

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just done my first DYI home powder coating of engine parts whilst doing a full rebuild and mods to my 3.2 Busso, 1 coat of base silver, three coats of translucent red to get the shade i wanted and then 1 coat of Ultra Gloss clear. Looking forward to doing the rest of the parts... there is alot to do ....lol
Fantastic job! How do you paint it in such a way, that only the deeper parts are painted red and the rest stays silver?

·
Premium Member
2004 156 3.2 converted 24v V6 with Q System
13 Posts
Fantastic job! How do you paint it in such a way, that only the deeper parts are painted red and the rest stays silver?
Thanks Ryder..... after applying the base coat of silver and then the 3 colour coats ( each coat individually baked) i started off using a orbital sander with 320 grit to cut back the layers of powder coat till it got back to bare aluminium.... then used wet and dry 400 grit sanding in a longitudinal direction only until uniform, then switched to 800 grit and keep sanding only using the ONE piece of wet and dry paper, let the paper clog and keep sanding till the desired finish is achieved... do the sanding dry not wet... you will achieve the brushed aluminium look..... if you want to achieve more of a polished mirror look... keep going up in grit sizes till you get to 2800 grit.... then use a quality aluminium polish to buff it up..... then clean the whole piece with grease and polish remover, dry it in the oven you use to bake the powder coat then coat with the last coat of powder coat Clear.... one tip ... before you start powder coating, sand the ribs and words to a nice flat basic finish first... then clean and powder coat.
Hope this was an easy read and helps
Cheers
Scotty :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks Ryder..... after applying the base coat of silver and then the 3 colour coats ( each coat individually baked) i started off using a orbital sander with 320 grit to cut back the layers of powder coat till it got back to bare aluminium.... then used wet and dry 400 grit sanding in a longitudinal direction only until uniform, then switched to 800 grit and keep sanding only using the ONE piece of wet and dry paper, let the paper clog and keep sanding till the desired finish is achieved... do the sanding dry not wet... you will achieve the brushed aluminium look..... if you want to achieve more of a polished mirror look... keep going up in grit sizes till you get to 2800 grit.... then use a quality aluminium polish to buff it up..... then clean the whole piece with grease and polish remover, dry it in the oven you use to bake the powder coat then coat with the last coat of powder coat Clear.... one tip ... before you start powder coating, sand the ribs and words to a nice flat basic finish first... then clean and powder coat.
Hope this was an easy read and helps
Cheers
Scotty :)

What an amazing idea. Just sand down the color until you reach the desired color layer below. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts

Making brakes look good is slow work...

Currently using a drill and sander/wire thing to polish them off but it takes ages.

Will likely only do the bits that anyone will actually see then paint and just leave the rest otherwise I'll be polishing for weeks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've also got a bit of time to myself, kids are staying with their mum and I'm working from home, half days, so should be able to get lots done you'd think. Plan is to replace the radiator (which leaked for a while after flushing it when I changed the thermostat, then mysteriously stopped), change cambelt, variator, coolant pump and auxiliary belt. Thought I'd start with the radiator and it's been a pain in the backside so far, the front bumper is halfway off, most of the bolts were siezed up but I managed to free them up with a gallon of plusgas and this...

Thought I was so clever, didn't I? All fine until I got to the one at the bottom on the drivers side and as I tried to turn it I could see the mount behind it rotating. It just will not budge. Then this...

So I took myself off to Parrs, bought the proper deal for my 3/8" wrench, still can't get it undone and slightly bent the teeth on the new bit. I'm going to have to drill it.

One positive, I changed my headlight bulb in the dark in a car park in Devon last week and the old bulb tumbled down the back. Did my best to find it, felt around under the bumper and was a bit worried it might fall in the road and go in mine or someone else's tyre but it really seemed to have vanished. Today, over 300 miles later, I found it wedged in against the bumper mount behind the arch liner. Good save! :D

Tomorrow I'm going to ignore the radiator and just get on with the cambelt. The car's up on axle stand, wheel off, lining out, aux belt off too, so I can just get on with it. I think out of the two jobs it's going to be the quickest and since it's not leaking any more I don't think it's a disaster if the rad doesn't get done by the end of the week.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I've also got a bit of time to myself, kids are staying with their mum and I'm working from home, half days, so should be able to get lots done you'd think. Plan is to replace the radiator (which leaked for a while after flushing it when I changed the thermostat, then mysteriously stopped), change cambelt, variator, coolant pump and auxiliary belt. Thought I'd start with the radiator and it's been a pain in the backside so far, the front bumper is halfway off, most of the bolts were siezed up but I managed to free them up with a gallon of plusgas and this...
View attachment 957571

Thought I was so clever, didn't I? All fine until I got to the one at the bottom on the drivers side and as I tried to turn it I could see the mount behind it rotating. It just will not budge. Then this...
View attachment 957573

So I took myself off to Parrs, bought the proper deal for my 3/8" wrench, still can't get it undone and slightly bent the teeth on the new bit. I'm going to have to drill it.

One positive, I changed my headlight bulb in the dark in a car park in Devon last week and the old bulb tumbled down the back. Did my best to find it, felt around under the bumper and was a bit worried it might fall in the road and go in mine or someone else's tyre but it really seemed to have vanished. Today, over 300 miles later, I found it wedged in against the bumper mount behind the arch liner. Good save! :D

View attachment 957574

Tomorrow I'm going to ignore the radiator and just get on with the cambelt. The car's up on axle stand, wheel off, lining out, aux belt off too, so I can just get on with it. I think out of the two jobs it's going to be the quickest and since it's not leaking any more I don't think it's a disaster if the rad doesn't get done by the end of the week.
The joys of unforeseen issues!

Your engine tower thingy is intact at least, one of mine is completely rusted away but it has zero bearing on the how the rest of the car functions so I've just filed mine down and rust protected what remains...

My car's got a slow coolant leak, definitely isn't the HG as I can smell it evaporating in the engine bay somewhere. Will have to investigate further, the radiator is ancient so it could be that...

·
Registered
216 Posts
The joys of unforeseen issues!

Your engine tower thingy is intact at least, one of mine is completely rusted away but it has zero bearing on the how the rest of the car functions so I've just filed mine down and rust protected what remains...

My car's got a slow coolant leak, definitely isn't the HG as I can smell it evaporating in the engine bay somewhere. Will have to investigate further, the radiator is ancient so it could be that...
Yeah, it's definitely the stuff you don't anticipate that takes the time.

I'm pretty sure my radiator stopped leaking because the water around here is so hard. You can see all the pink residue down the edge where it has leaked before, and for about two weeks I was monitoring it, until it stopped there was a slow steady drip underneath. But it's dry as a bone now, so I think it just got scaled up and blocked the leak!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tried to change my clutch a few days ago.
Thought the gearbox was a little hard to fit back on, so took it apart again and saw this :eek:

Have since bought a clutch alignment tool and cut the head of a pair of spare bolts to act as dowls/guides to align and take the weight of the gearbox during installation

·
Registered
216 Posts
Didn't spend as much time as planned today because I had the opportunity to go and see my grandmother for a little while this afternoon, which was more of a priority. I did get a fair bit done after dinner. I quite like working on the car in the evenings, I get to say hello to my neighbours as they come and go and tell me how I'm "always working on the car". I suppose compared to them it must seem that way!

I had another round of trying to get rusty bolts out. Torx bolts... WHY?! I'm really starting to dislike them. The bottom auxiliary pulley was a real pain, I almost rounded one of the heads when the bit popped out but I managed to knock the bit in with a hammer so it was nice and firm when I tried again. Only downside was I had to put the bit in the vice afterwards and use a hammer-screwdriver combo to separate the bolt from the bit again. Cambelt cover took ages to get off too, and the rocker gasket felt like it was welded in place. There's some bits of rubber stuck to the metal that I'll need to clean off somehow before I put the new gasket on. I think acetone might do it.

Was surprised to see oil pooled around one of the spark plugs. I think it trickled in there after I took the cover off, I'm sure it wasn't like that before. Since it was on the first cylinder I removed the plug, cleaned it up and used that spot for finding TDC.

Frustratingly the cylinder probe I have does not fit this engine. I'm not sure what went wrong there, I bought it specifically for the job, but the upshot is I can't use my DTI gauge so I had to fall back on using a screwdriver instead. After turning the engine over quite a few times I got the hang of where TDC was and have marked the screwdriver shaft with sharpie.

It looks like whoever did the belt last may not have used the timing lock and relied on marking the pulleys instead. There are white marks on the top two pulleys and at the bottom too. At TDC the exhaust end is spot on and the lock fits perfectly but unfortunately the timing on the intake camshaft appears to be out of whack and I couldn't get the lock in place. I've got to get the variator off somehow anyway so I suppose if I have to take off the camshaft and put it back on it's not such a big deal. I was worried I might have done something wrong at first but then I realised, it was wrong and I'm putting it right, so that's a positive.

I ran out of light around 9pm when a friend popped by, let herself in the house and made us both a cup of tea. I packed up my stuff and apologised for the car parts strewn all over the kitchen...

Before I went inside I did take the old belt off and I'm unsure about its condition. There isn't any cracking so I don't think there was any immediate danger of it snapping, but the outside is worn and shiny to the extent that any trace of what make it might have been is completely erased. The teeth seem to have a fine coating of rusty dust even though the pulleys are shiny around the outside.

I'm glad I'm replacing it anyway. It's been on there four years so I was starting to worry.

Reactions: Negativvv

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Got bored of filing down the callipers so I just went ahead and painted them after spraying them down with brake cleaner...

There's a coat of primer and two coats of red. Some of the bits you'll never seen when they're on the car have just a single layer of primer. Rears have been done too but they were a fully refurbished pair so were easy to prep. The finish isn't as good as the photos make out but I'll see in the morning once they're a bit drier.

Just need to put the seals and new piston in, then wait for the brake pads and discs to arrive then fitting...

5141 - 5160 of 5304 Posts