Alfa Romeo Forum banner
5061 - 5080 of 5302 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If the paint finish is 'chalky' and dull then a polish can help. I have only seen chalky finishes on red and white cars. Clear coats are common place since the 1990's, I'm no expert but I'm under the assumption that everything now is base coat with a clear.

If you rub an area with a cutting compound and your rag turns red, then there is no clear coat. If it does not turn red, or the colour of the car then there is a clear coat. But you don't want to rub too much and cut through too many layers of paint.
Always wondered about clear coats and car leather too.

Makes me think the majority of car care products are snake oils as for leather you just need to keep that top coat going and for exterior it's likewise.

I plan to protect my 156 one way or another this year, I've never polished or waxed it in 7 years which is disgusting of me! Might give ceramic coating a try once I've removed all the various swirl marks and road muck. I can throw a sheet over it in the garage so it should stay looking good for a reasonable amount of time...

·
Registered
212 Posts
When I polish the car it definitely turns the rag red. There's a body shop around the corner from me, been meaning to give them a call for about two years now (not the only one who takes a while to get around to these things!). Think I will soon, but there are some jobs I must do first.

I don't know why I think this, but I've got a feeling one time the car was in the garage a mechanic sat in the drivers seat and poked their thumbnail all around the top of the gear knob. I don't remember what it was like beforehand, so I couldn't say for sure. When I looked I couldn't find a new leather one so I just got a plastic one from eBay. Not quite as nice but it's just a gear knob, and I'd rather have one that looks like it's meant to be there than a nice one from another car that doesn't quite fit somehow.

Drove around the block to try it out... Not entirely necessary 😆 . By the time I got back I was thinking about driving and pretty much forgot it was different.

I am wondering if I could refurb the old one somehow. I should probably just put it in the bin!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If anyone knows where to get a original 6 speed leather gear knob from then please let me know as I want to change mine.

There's a 5 speed one in Poland on eBay however just not a 6 speed.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Well... Having looked a bit closer, the silver cap is actually metal. It's going to be really trivial to sand it and respray it. So I think I'm going to give it a try, and get some of that flexible leather filler to fill in the scuffs and the gap around the outside of the knob. Will update with how I get on, when I get around to it. I think it will work. What condition is yours in?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Mine's a leather wrapped sphere, the numbers have long worn off. I should have bought that eBay wooden OEM one a few months ago but I chickened out...

Said leather one is nice to hold but they don't seem to exist these days.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If anyone knows where to get a original 6 speed leather gear knob from then please let me know as I want to change mine.

There's a 5 speed one in Poland on eBay however just not a 6 speed.
I re-covered and re-stiched my 6 speed in leather. The hardest thing about is getting the numbers on it. All I managed was to put on the gear pattern and R for reverse. Result, not quite factory but a nicer feel than what my old was was like. Beside, I know where the gears are and that's all that matters.

Those 5 speed gear knobs have a different stitching to the 6 speeds and some 5 speeds, so I'm not too sure how you would go about recovering one of those 5 speed ones.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I re-covered and re-stiched my 6 speed in leather. The hardest thing about is getting the numbers on it. All I managed was to put on the gear pattern and R for reverse. Result, not quite factory but a nicer feel than what my old was was like. Beside, I know where the gears are and that's all that matters.

Those 5 speed gear knobs have a different stitching to the 6 speeds and some 5 speeds, so I'm not too sure how you would go about recovering one of those 5 speed ones.
I'm kicking myself for not getting the OEM 6 speed leather sphere knob for £100 on eBay about 3 years ago. Was also a wooden OEM one about 6 months ago for £50, wish I clicked Buy It Now then too...

At some point a decent OEM knob will surface, just being patient i suppose!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'm kicking myself for not getting the OEM 6 speed leather sphere knob for £100 on eBay about 3 years ago. Was also a wooden OEM one about 6 months ago for £50, wish I clicked Buy It Now then too...

At some point a decent OEM knob will surface, just being patient i suppose!

Yes I saw some on a Polish site I think. But it was a hundred or more Euro's and that was a couple of years ago. Here's the thread I made about my re-covering project.

An auto upholsterer might be able to make one up for you. Minus the markings.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,641 Posts
Finally got round to having the alternator replaced. Garage had the courtesy to tell me the brakes were corroded (they would be having sat since mid January) and i could do with 4 new tyres

At least the battery charges off the engine now

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yes I saw some on a Polish site I think. But it was a hundred or more Euro's and that was a couple of years ago. Here's the thread I made about my re-covering project.

An auto upholsterer might be able to make one up for you. Minus the markings.
Alfa » 156 » Interior » Gear Knob » Gearknop - Cup A Danish site still stocks the OEM knobs, hugely expensive... That thread you mentioned with the DIY job had the guy punch holes into the re-bound knob.

A new gearknob and re-wrapped steering wheel might make quite a difference for not "that" much investment...

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Alfa » 156 » Interior » Gear Knob » Gearknop - Cup A Danish site still stocks the OEM knobs, hugely expensive... That thread you mentioned with the DIY job had the guy punch holes into the re-bound knob. A couple of semi recent experiences:

A new gearknob and re-wrapped steering wheel might make quite a difference for not "that" much investment...
Sadly I think Alfastumper still have problems, shame really because if they have half of what their listings suggest they have some rare stuff 😞

Bit weird really because the site is still active so someone is paying the hosting fee 🤨

·
63,641 Posts
Finally got round to having the alternator replaced. Garage had the courtesy to tell me the brakes were corroded (they would be having sat since mid January) and i could do with 4 new tyres

At least the battery charges off the engine now
Having a working GT once more makes me realise it’s not a bad car after all and that I could actually be tempted to keep it and throw a little more money at it on things like brakes and maybe a suspension upgrade. Damn these cars, i was all set for moving it on to a new owner.

Anyhow, does anyone have damper recommendations as to which would be suitable to pair with some H&R springs? I’ve got Koni Sports on my Gtv coupled with Eibach pros and don’t really want the same ride in the GT. Are FSDs still a thing and do they work with lowered springs? Bilstein seem to be the alternative choice, but which one I don’t know

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Gave it a clean and took a few photos ready for the for sale ad :cry::cry:
Must have been a difficult decision, lovely these Sportwagons (y)

Reactions: Chris_GTV

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Very. Unfortunately I need a van for work and the Alfa hardly gets used now. This ones only done 75000 so not many around like it!
I'd snap it up if I didn't have a 156 and a 147, love to have a 2.4 Wagon to run around in. Much easier to look after than a GTA too. Best of luck selling it :)

Reactions: maxiboy wales

·
Registered
33 Posts
Having a working GT once more makes me realise it’s not a bad car after all and that I could actually be tempted to keep it and throw a little more money at it on things like brakes and maybe a suspension upgrade. Damn these cars, i was all set for moving it on to a new owner.

Anyhow, does anyone have damper recommendations as to which would be suitable to pair with some H&R springs? I’ve got Koni Sports on my Gtv coupled with Eibach pros and don’t really want the same ride in the GT. Are FSDs still a thing and do they work with lowered springs? Bilstein seem to be the alternative choice, but which one I don’t know
Billstein + Eibach + michelin pilot sports on my V6. Great handling!

·
63,641 Posts
Billstein + Eibach + michelin pilot sports on my V6. Great handling!
Which flavour of Bilstein do you have? I see everything from B6-B14 and I’m none the wiser. I’m not overly arsed about handling as it’s only a diseasel model

·
63,641 Posts
I don’t know, but it makes sense and is something I’ve heard before

5061 - 5080 of 5302 Posts