Alfa Romeo Forum banner

4981 - 4999 of 4999 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Very smart - looks really nice.
Can I ask if the fan housing comes out with the radiator still in place, or does everything need to come out?
I removed the fan unit before removing the radiator on my 156. With the V6 it's quite a squeeze and I found it very awkward to do.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Plumbed in the boost gauge and pleasantly surprised how accurate it seems to be.

Reactions: Feekesma

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got angry trying to find fill plug for gearbox on 8v 147 collezione as it's different to pictured in all guides I've seen.
Other than that, Cleaning it and applying finishing touches from months of work

·
Registered
492 Posts
Got angry trying to find fill plug for gearbox on 8v 147 collezione as it's different to pictured in all guides I've seen.
Other than that, Cleaning it and applying finishing touches from months of work
Remove the reverse light switch and fill through there, it's a doddle. You'll just need to remove the battery and the plastic tray it sits on and you should then see the switch on top of the gearbox.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
My GT feeling sorry for herself this week... Got picked up on Wednesday and trucked over to Autolusso Bournemouth.

Diagnosis: Mocal oil cooler had completely rusted through, 4 years to the day after it was fitted... If you've had a Mocal unit fitted, it's worth taking a look at it!

New design oil cooler and stainless bracket fitted, and she's in for an MOT! Clean sweep, apart from the slight sill damage (thanks to the local tyre fitters...)

Pleased to report she's back on the driveway now though, after some excelent care by the guys at Autolusso... They even washed her for me to :D

IMG_20210407_101804.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
My GT feeling sorry for herself this week... Got picked up on Wednesday and trucked over to Autolusso Bournemouth.

Diagnosis: Mocal oil cooler had completely rusted through, 4 years to the day after it was fitted... If you've had a Mocal unit fitted, it's worth taking a look at it!

New design oil cooler and stainless bracket fitted, and she's in for an MOT! Clean sweep, apart from the slight sill damage (thanks to the local tyre fitters...)

Pleased to report she's back on the driveway now though, after some excelent care by the guys at Autolusso... They even washed her for me to :D
That's annoying... Good to hear it's ok. Was it on of the cooler unions which failed? (y)

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,545 Posts
Put a new battery in a week ago in prep for a dead alternator change. Fired up to move this afternoon and the battery charge low warnings decided to disappear. Checked the voltage on the terminals and it’s reading a healthy 13.9v. Went out for an easy drive to clean the brakes up and there have been no electrical issues since. Self fixing cars 🙄

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Put a new battery in a week ago in prep for a dead alternator change. Fired up to move this afternoon and the battery charge low warnings decided to disappear. Checked the voltage on the terminals and it’s reading a healthy 13.9v. Went out for an easy drive to clean the brakes up and there have been no electrical issues since. Self fixing cars 🙄
Surprising isn't it what a weak battery can do? It's enough for the ABS failure light to come on for me (y)

Reactions: maxiboy wales

·
63,545 Posts
It seems we still have a non charging issue. Further investigations are required

·
Registered
492 Posts
It seems we still have a non charging issue. Further investigations are required
Is there any pattern to how the charging figures change (i.e. does it stop charging once car is warmed-up)?

Have you physically checked the alternator wiring?

·
63,545 Posts
I didn’t know the issue was intermittent until Monday, I haven’t had a look at anything yet. I don’t know a great deal about alternators, only basically how they work and electrics don’t pack up and come back sporadically. They’re either on or off usually. It could be anything from a dodgy earth to a dead alternator via a dicky regulator

·
Registered
492 Posts
I didn’t know the issue was intermittent until Monday, I haven’t had a look at anything yet. I don’t know a great deal about alternators, only basically how they work and electrics don’t pack up and come back sporadically. They’re either on or off usually. It could be anything from a dodgy earth to a dead alternator via a dicky regulator
Or something annoyingly simple like a poor connection between alternator output and battery. Unlikely but perfectly possible.

4981 - 4999 of 4999 Posts