Alfa Romeo Forum banner

4741 - 4760 of 4763 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
You should do that. The weather here doesn't suit old Alfa's. If the damp doesn't get it the salt on the roads in winter will. 156's do pretty well, above the wheel line but it's not easy finding one that's good underneath.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I'm getting too old to be laid under a car in the wet...but I managed to swap out the old rear silencer on my GT. I've had the rear section ages and every job I complete brings me closer to getting the car back on the road! Before and after....
Alfa exhaust 1.JPG
Alfa exhaust 1.JPG
Alfa exhaust 2.JPG

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was thinking similar while laying half in, half out in the rain.
Removed the glove box, shame you can't release the lid sliders so you could get at the lower screws. Removed the M40 central locking module and pulled out the black plug, from the M35 alarm remote control receiver.
Now I can operate the central locking from the key, all the locks stay down, and set the alarm with the remote. If I put the black plug back in the central locking bounces open when locked by remote or key. Not sorted yet but at least I can lock it.
The drawings I've got aren't great and I haven't found one for the alarm system but I suppose it could still be one of the door switches. I originally thought the door switches went to the central locking, but it seems one goes to the central locking and the 2 wire switch goes to the alarm system. Doh!

·
Registered
Alfa Gt 1.9 jtdm
14 Posts
Depends from climate. My Gt came from Italy, she never seen snow and salt, every bolt underneath still shining:cool: But i saw Alfa's from Germany or Switzerland, horor from underneath. Btw did anyone solved water leak on Gt near left passenger leg (mine is LHD so it's my left leg :))? I checked water drainage under window wiper plastic trim, it's clean, windscreen was never chaged so I think problem is somewhere else. When my car is long time on rain this problem occurs, there isn't a lot of water but still it's wet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Haven't done anything to it today, but a little report what has happened since spring when I last wrote, I think.

15mm spacers on all 4 wheels, new rear brake pads (and right side slide pins), new coolant reservoir, new radiator since the original one failed, Ragazzon rear silencer, new inner CV joint rubbers, new stainless steel braided brake hoses. Still have the used aluminum engine guard from a JTS waiting to be fitted. "MOT" tomorrow. Other than that, I need to try changing the power steering fluid again as I didn't really succeed last time. Cambelt change is due next spring.

Bonus, had a polish and a ceramic coating done on it by a professional during spring.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Haven't done anything to it today, but a little report what has happened since spring when I last wrote, I think.

15mm spacers on all 4 wheels, new rear brake pads (and right side slide pins), new coolant reservoir, new radiator since the original one failed, Ragazzon rear silencer, new inner CV joint rubbers, new stainless steel braided brake hoses. Still have the used aluminum engine guard from a JTS waiting to be fitted. "MOT" tomorrow. Other than that, I need to try changing the power steering fluid again as I didn't really succeed last time. Cambelt change is due next spring.

Bonus, had a polish and a ceramic coating done on it by a professional during spring.
Looking good, and nice to see a GT on teledials (y)

Reactions: Jarski

·
Registered
78 Posts
I hooked up my new ELM327 cable, laptop and the free version of MultiEcuScan to investigate the intermittent Motor Control System Failure messages I've been getting. In the past I've attributed it to a dodgy battery but they were still popping up occasionally.

I got two codes, P0480 and P0354. It was P0354, indicating a problem with coil 4, that was causing the message. I removed the coils on 3 & 4, cleaned the connections up and swapped them over so if the problem moves to cyl 3 I know it's the coil that's the problem. I tried testing the coil with my multimeter but I didn't really know what I was doing (why are there four pins?) and the probe wouldn't reach to the contact in the plug cap. After clearing the EML it hasn't happened again, fingers crossed...

P0480 indicates a problem with fan relay 1 (low speed I think) but that wasn't causing the EML to come on. I've removed the relay and cleaned the connections but the code is still present. Any advice on testing the relay?

·
Registered
22 Posts
MoT tomorrow? your'e going to be busy.
The image is from August, the car is together right now.

And today I found out the left rear brake caliper leaks from the bleed screw or the hose. Well, need to call to the shop first thing in the morning and demand them to fix it properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The rear left brake caliper was checked on Wednesday and I took the car to MOT couple hours later. Everything was fine other than the bleed scew was still leaking. Yesterday I had the shop check the brake caliper again and passed the MOT with the receipt from the service.

I am still keeping an eye on the bleed screw. If it still leaks I have to change the caliper. The bleed screw has probably been cross threaded in the past and it won't seat properly.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Did a few satisfying jobs to the Wagon today:

1. Replace rear wiper motor - About 10 large Philips screws hold the panel in place, including a cheeky one behind the courtesy light. Those evil boot trim clips (see pics) did mean that I partially snapped the panel :mad: but not enough to destroy it. Then just three 5mm allen headed bolts hold the motor in place. Make sure the little spacer trim piece (covers the motor spindle and sits between the glass and wiper arm) doesn't make a run for it - Oddly I seem to have a tiny o-ring left, hopefully it's not too crucial (For those interested, the part numbers are pictured below)

2. Replace rear wiper arm - One 10mm nut holds the arm on, if it hasn't been off in a while a wiper removal too will be your friend. No-one wants broken glass...

3. Swap radio - Mr. Autolusso Penrith (Pud237) provided a working head unit but it seems my relatives are cursed when it comes to electrical technology, it was fine and then suddenly it didn't accept CDs :D

4. Fit a used SW roller parcel shelf - Nice and easy and means people can't see what's in the boot...

(y)

IMG_3396.JPEG
IMG_3390.JPEG
IMG_3389.JPEG
IMG_3392.JPEG
IMG_3394.JPEG
IMG_3397.JPEG
IMG_3398.JPEG
IMG_3399.JPEG

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
You were up early...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
A week ago but I cleaned the car, first time for a year. It's barely moved, thanks to Covid, just sat there as the remains of the last lot of Autoglym washed off. Filled with shame and guilt, this time I gave it a good wash to strip the wax, clayed it (MATCC), and used some Turtle Wax 53342 Hybrid Ceramic Wax. I'd not used clay before (clay? it's plastic...), but it brushed up pretty well for a 12yr old. The Turtle Wax ceramic stuff was a doddle to apply. Still, out of gratitude it passed its MOT, then of course it has rained pretty much continuously ever since. Which is great if you get excited by beading, but I don't.
IMG_20201007_173408.jpg

4741 - 4760 of 4763 Posts