Alfa Romeo Forum banner

4701 - 4720 of 4763 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just attempted to pop down to the shop in the GT, and nothing, dead battery.

Will be doing some minor trouble shooting to see if the battery itself just died, whether the alternator is doing OK, and whether the newly installed radio isnt draining the thing by chance.

If its just a dead battery, ill be plopping in a new one tonight.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
When did you last drive it? Get the multimeter out and see will all the accessories switched on(lights, demister, aircon etc) the voltage does drop below 14vdc across the battery.

Mines in for a replacement alternator as mine died yesterday!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Had a fumble around with it, after jumping it and having it idle for a minute or so, it would restart immediately again... idle charge voltage is ~14.2 or so, with AC, high beams, radio etc.. on it would drop to 13,3 or so i think, with the engine at idle. Drove around for a bit to give it a decent charge, and now ill see how it sits tomorrow morning, if its flat again ill be hunting for current leaks etc..

It had been sitting for a few days, and weather just got cold around here, which might be a factor, so the battery may very well be on its way out.

We'll see i guess, i only need it again on saturday again, i just hope it isnt the alternator, as i understand that is an absolute ***** to do on the V6

·
Registered
303 Posts
Today I have mostly been lying on my side in the rain, changing a top wishbone and turbo (seized actuator).

Deep joy!

·
Registered
291 Posts
@Major_Clanger Surely that isnt all you need to do? does the bumper need to come off for the turbo job?

On the battery front, i stuck a multimeter on it over lunch, it was at 11.4, so i assume dead battery, just picked up a new one and threw it in, and it does start a whole lot peppier then before, so job jobbed, and thankfully without serious disruption to mobility

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks, for the advice guys. You have to love AR's aspirations. They couldn't get basic electrics to work but they still had a go at central locking and immobilisers. I've looked at the wiring drawings you sent and at an elearn dvd I have. The layout for the doors shows the 3 plugs in the front doors but only 2 in the rears and only 1 in the boot lock. It shows a picture of each plug and links it to the door multi plug, but then stops. Descriptions are typical translated Italian, or maybe just typical Italian. The central locking wiring drawing I've got only shows 2 plugs, A and B, not the 3 pin C plug. For the rear doors it only shows the A plug for the motor, not the B plug. Still trying to trace the wires.
Fire is not off the agenda yet.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
Have you tried this one?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you used this site? It is asking for credit card details, including the CCV number. It says it is for verification and no charges will be made, just being a bit cautious.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
No, I have not sorry, I would not recommend it based on your comments.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
Half arsedly shopping around for a decent condition rear bumper in stromboli grey to atone for my previously mentioned collision with a house wall

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
Picked up the car after having a new alternator fitted, its a 120 amp rather than a standard 90 amp, and all is well. The car seems to be a lot faster so I do not know if the old alternator was not giving enough power to the ignition system due to the bearing being shot.

Will go for a nice drive asap to give it a full test.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Picked up the car after having a new alternator fitted, its a 120 amp rather than a standard 90 amp, and all is well. The car seems to be a lot faster so I do not know if the old alternator was not giving enough power to the ignition system due to the bearing being shot.

Will go for a nice drive asap to give it a full test.
You must have done more jobs on the GT in the last two months than in the length of ownership :D (y) Good on you!

Reactions: maxiboy wales

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
The GT has been my only focus after completing all the house and garden jobs due to the furlough. I have tried to spread the jobs out and use my friend's garage only when necessary. He has been very understanding and I have sometimes gone to see him for a chat and a coffee while he rebuilds various range rovers with twin-turbo failures and BMWs with corroded brake pipes.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts

Will go a nice drive asap to give it a full test.
I can also say that with the old alternator if the headlights were switched on they would dim slightly when the aircon fan cycled and at the same time the engine idle noise and feel seemed slightly labored. With the new alternator non of these issues are present.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure I'm making much progress but definitely getting a better understanding, and some quality time with the 156. Like cleaning the green gunge off the bottom of the windows, that can only be done with the door panels off, so much fun.
So, the lock motors are just 2 wire, Grey & Yellow, are forward and reverse polarity for lock and unlock. Just done in the M40 control box. The 2 wire plug, Grey/Green & Black, drivers side and Grey/Yellow & Black, passenger side, which I couldn't find on the central locking drawings, 'cause it isn't central locking, Looks like it is only for the dash warning. Doors closed is open circuit, doors open is closed circuit, which is strange logic for me. If you just pull the plug out it thinks the doors are good. Bit of confusion with the voltages on these plugs. The drivers side showed 11v but passenger side only showed 4.7v. Thought that was the problem at one stage but checked against the other 156 and it was exactly the same readings, strange.
So I'm now left with the 3 wire plugs, Black, White & Blue or the M40 control box.
I have a control box on the other car. It has 3 multi plugs, A, B & C, but I can't see any identification as to which is which. I tried to identify them by looking for pins 15 and 16 for door locks, but nothing seems to correspond.
Does anyone know if the M40 control box is coded or only the M35 remote unit. Can I fit the other control box to try it, not the remote locking, just off the key in the lock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cleaned the engine, was still very dirty after the fitting, struggled with the blanking plate turbo side kept blowing the gasket sealer out, made one from a tin 2day seems to work not dine a full boost yet will but I can hear the turbo spool and the smoke is gone, fitted handbreak cables 2, found out the hard way I had them wrong side round but all good now

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Washed and vac'd and finally got around to building the parts shed... it's too many parts isn't it? :(

Attachments

·
Registered
Alfa Gt 1.9 jtdm
14 Posts
Trunk cover driving me insane, so much noise from stupid board:cautious: I have placed sponges to plastics where board lies but not much improvement.

4701 - 4720 of 4763 Posts