Alfa Romeo Forum banner

4541 - 4560 of 4592 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Missing a plastic cover here? Looks like a place where crap could get at the timing belt.

Plus missing air intake part here I think.

And did notice slight wobble in harmonic balancer. Rubber is coming apart and almost what looks like cracks above the bolts. Special tool to remove those bolts it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
No I don't think anything is missing.That pipe goes into the air box with filter and then into engine.

Avoid puddles with these cars due to the air intake being so low!
Ah right, just seemed a bit odd as that inlet isn't actually facing forward.

Yeah they are a bit low, and those massive air filter elements look like something off a tractor, lol.

Did a bit of amateur plastic repair today. I'm thinking this tailgate trim isn't all that available and costly if I somehow found a piece. Was thinking of using some plastic filler, sanding that and painting the entire piece.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Washed, Gummi Fledge'd all the seals and found a new tool. £3.50 buys you this Rolson telescopic magnet with a little light on the end. Perfect for grabbing studs which fall down onto the rear bank exhaust manifold collector, or rather it would have been had the stud been ferrous... ahem. :sneaky:

Never mind, I'm sure it will be useful one day...(y)

Attachments

Reactions: paul.o

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dropped the GT off for the MOT this morning, and according to the reg system, it has already been approved for another year, apparently without any serious work!

Now im contemplating some upgrades, maybe she'll get a new rear ARB to celebrate my first ever MOT without serious money needing to be spent :p

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,419 Posts
Finally started to fix my GT up today after weeks of accumulating parts and almost a year since its dramatic MOT fail. Not the best of places here to do the majority of the work so I’m getting it rolling and then moving it to my mates garage where I can get all the mechanical work done before shipping it off for the dreaded welding. Then hopefully it’ll have a fresh MOT

Storm incoming stopped play just before I could remove the rotten rear shock, which is now hanging by the upper mount alone

·
Registered
32 Posts
Changed the cabin filter and air filter as I was not sure I could trust the garage where I bought the GT, but it turned out that they did change it when I bought it 1 year ago :p .
From what I've seen on some videos around there, they didn't look so bad.

Also changed the shifter leather cover that I bought from AutoDoc, not bad for 10€!!
My old one was making me sad everytime I would get in the car. The new one makes a huge difference.
I was also able to see the mess it makes to smoke inside the car, it was gross!!

Tomorrow I'll change the oil and filter and I'll also change the brake disks and pads. I'll put Brembo!

Wish me luck, I just did some basic stuff on my 95'Ford Fiesta some years ago, it is the first time I do such a thing on a more recent car. I'll update tomorrow. :)

BTW, can someone tell me if I should buy the NGK spark plugs (specified on the car manual for the 1.8ts) or should I take mines out to see if they are more powerful and buy the same? Because I saw somewhere that we shouldn't put less powerful Spark plugs that the ones we had before and I'm not sure which ones the last owner used. Sorry if that's bs, but I'm starting doing those kind of thing by myself.

I'm so grateful for this community for the information and I have to say THANK YOU A LOT to everyone sharing information, it means a lot...and by the way, by doing this things by myself I already saved about 600€ on mechanics!!
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Nicely done! (y)

Reactions: Borges

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good job @Borges Dont worry too much about the brakes, for the front ones all you really need are some spanners and muscle, the rear calipers need to be wound in, so a special tool would be usefull (i bought one of those brake pushback tools, so far ive used it on 3-4 cars, well worth it)

DIY-ing the simple stuff on cars is really nice, saves a lot of labour costs and you learn a lot of stuff

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good job @Borges Dont worry too much about the brakes, for the front ones all you really need are some spanners and muscle, the rear calipers need to be wound in, so a special tool would be usefull (i bought one of those brake pushback tools, so far ive used it on 3-4 cars, well worth it)

DIY-ing the simple stuff on cars is really nice, saves a lot of labour costs and you learn a lot of stuff
I'm not doing the rear ones, they are in good shape, the front ones are causing vibration when I brake, that's the main reason. If everything goes well I'll also later update the rear ones with Brembo.
I bought something like a press for the calipers to make it easier. I don't know the name in English. :LOL:

I'll do the work at a DIY garage that rents the space with lift and tools, even proper space for paint jobs, really any kind of job that a garage can do. Here in Switzerland it's difficult to have the right space for that at home(and of course you have to follow a lot of rules if you live on a rental home)...there are a lot off mechanics around if I need advice, but I'm totally confident! I'll maybe ask them about the spark plugs.
Thanks for the advices 👍

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,249 Posts
I have always fitted iridium spark plugs to all my alfa's be it V6/2.0TS/2.0JTS engines and found them to be excellent.

·
Registered
575 Posts
BTW, can someone tell me if I should buy the NGK spark plugs (specified on the car manual for the 1.8ts) or should I take mines out to see if they are more powerful and buy the same? Because I saw somewhere that we shouldn't put less powerful Spark plugs that the ones we had before and I'm not sure which ones the last owner used. Sorry if that's bs, but I'm starting doing those kind of thing by myself.
I would put in what is recommended in the owners manual. Sometimes car manuals give a couple of options.
I'm not too sure as to how widespread this is, but there are counterfeit NGK spark plugs around. There is a lot of information online about identifying fakes, so make sure you buy genuine.

For me, with a V6 the manual states NGK R PFR6B. So that is what I put in.

You can always take out the spark plugs. See if they are of the recommended type. If they are in poor condition, replace with the same type. If they are in good condition, put them back in unless you really want new ones.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,249 Posts
Manuals printed ten years ago or more may not cover what is now available or the latest development in components. A lot of people put led lights in their cars but the manuals show filament bulbs. It's a personal choice however as always.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would put in what is recommended in the owners manual. Sometimes car manuals give a couple of options.
I'm not too sure as to how widespread this is, but there are counterfeit NGK spark plugs around. There is a lot of information online about identifying fakes, so make sure you buy genuine.

For me, with a V6 the manual states NGK R PFR6B. So that is what I put in.

You can always take out the spark plugs. See if they are of the recommended type. If they are in poor condition, replace with the same type. If they are in good condition, put them back in unless you really want new ones.
Thanks!
I'll definitely take them out and check. I doubt they fitted the recommended on the manual. Today I did the oil and front brakes and I realised everything I changed was from cheap brands, even the ring that seals oil pan was a bs! :LOL:
I'm glad I serviced the car by myself and being able to check this things.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Manuals printed ten years ago or more may not cover what is now available or the latest development in components. A lot of people put led lights in their cars but the manuals show filament bulbs. It's a personal choice however as always.
Exactly, I think the same! The oil is a good example of that. I changed for 5W40 from Castrol today.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That is a fair point.

4541 - 4560 of 4592 Posts