Alfa Romeo Forum banner

4501 - 4520 of 4534 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had first go polishing the headlights. Used Meguiars plastic polish and a sealant type spray thing designed to keep them from yellowing.

And diagnosed problem with radio. Pretty confident radio is kaput as I am getting 12v from the pins.

Bonus find was why the rhs of the bonnet was arching upwards in the middle when closed. An old cap from some aerosol spray was stuck to the bonnet and bending the bonnet upwards. Bizarre, but an easy fix.

Edit: Just got back from doing some headlight adjustments. Up/Down working good and now electronic adjustment is working now too, go figure. Left/Right movement seems unresponsive though. Ah well, still better than BMW land with bits of adjuster all through the headlight, lol.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,166 Posts
Polished the car today, waxing tomorrow then next week the wheels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice work Paul. See you went the Italian tyres for your Italian car hey, lol. I would of, but I don't like the look (or the names) of any of the Pirelli tyres. I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on my E39 and went with them on the 156. Well reviewed, and more importantly (lol) a good looking tyre.

Today I picked up a new radio from ebay. $25 and works perfect. I only put my display onto it as it was in slightly better condition. If anyone wants a display (last 2 photos), hit me up and just pay postage. Oh, and a cd player module is available at no cost too.

IMG20200503151221.jpg
IMG20200503151358.jpg
IMG20200503151343.jpg

·
Registered
482 Posts
After 2 years I thought I should check the tyre pressures and put some air in them. I had meant to do it before, but the book gave measurements in bar, and I was always too lazy to convert to psi or kpa. Anyway, converted it today and gave them a pump up to 34 psi. Most tyres were around 27psi. Steering more responsive, rides differently and might just improve fuel economy not that I take much notice of it.

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
359 Posts
Spoiler fitted, and final coats of primer laid down (don't worry, this pic was after 1st layer on the wing).
The wing was imported from Netherlands, and in very good nick - so it's actually fixed at the bottom again ?

·
Registered
359 Posts
All set. Well it needs a wetsand and a polish, but for now I'm just letting it soak up the sun and cure some more. Did put on quite a heavy coat of clear.
Colour match is decent - but a little difficult to judge when the rest of the car is somewhat dirty. The wing does clearly have more of a pop to the blue, compared to the bonnet - but that's what's to expect on a 17 year old car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been working g on the Gt over the past week or so. Got a few bits done.

So - here was the solution - I bent the pipes carefully and mounted them in the air duct to the oil cooler.

Seems to run cool enough on a run but I will keep an eye on it.
Final look of the intercooler is great - nice little spool noise with only additional lag of about 100rpm - ie boosts 100rpm further up the rev range - basically not really noticeable unless you knew the car well - so I recon the additional piping and intercooler balances out the balooning effect I had before and the intercooler full of crud.

Only other difference is the availability of more power beyond 4k - much better I would say.

So there you go - Universal Pipe kit 2inch - £79 - universal same side intercooler £70 - time and effort priceless :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hah, didn't see it for a second there bugnut. Must make your 147 pretty unique. Damn good looking car too.

I swapped out the factory front component speakers today with Focal IS165. The old ones had disintegrated. I loved not having to take the entire door trim off.

My door hand/tweeter trims are both cracked, so I ended up dremeling out the tweeter hole and literally wedging these new tweeters in. Not tooooo shabby. For the price I'm very happy with the sound.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hah, didn't see it for a second there bugnut. Must make your 147 pretty unique. Damn good looking car too.

I swapped out the factory front component speakers today with Focal IS165. The old ones had disintegrated. I loved not having to take the entire door trim off.

My door hand/tweeter trims are both cracked, so I ended up dremeling out the tweeter hole and literally wedging these new tweeters in. Not tooooo shabby. For the price I'm very happy with the sound.

View attachment 935949 View attachment 935950 View attachment 935951
Nice...was thinking of doing the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice...was thinking of doing the same.
Well I can attest to these speakers being low profile enough to fit, but the magnet is quite wide and it took some moving it around to get it in there and flush with the mount.

Pretty amazing how both of my door/tweeter trims are cracked on the chrome bit, top and bottom, exactly the same on both, lol. Must be a common problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did a 300km round trip Gold Coast to Toowoomba today. Alfa went real well. Note we had more travel restrictions removed today in Queensland.

Anyway, all parked up now for the arrival of Brembo and Hella Pagid brake rotors and pads.

·
Registered
359 Posts

How are you finding them overall? I have PS165FXs in my front doors, but IMO the tweeters are too bold and "up-front". I have them set on -3dB on the crossover, as well as taken them a couple levels down on my equalizer. The system is more harmonic after I installed Hertz MP165 woofers in the rear doors though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How are you finding them overall? I have PS165FXs in my front doors, but IMO the tweeters are too bold and "up-front". I have them set on -3dB on the crossover, as well as taken them a couple levels down on my equalizer. The system is more harmonic after I installed Hertz MP165 woofers in the rear doors though.
I'm not audiophile brinker, but clarity seems quite good and woofer does a good job. I do have some JL tweeters and their crossover somewhere, which I could try out with the woofers I guess.

These focals I got are designed to be a direct swap for factory, and as such the crossover is built into the tweeters (or it is the woofers). There is a weird looking capacitor on the woofer, could also be it. Anyway, I wasn't looking to set my world on fire, just get some good sound. Brakes, suspension and timing belt change are the next big ticket items.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sailed right through MOT, and now ready for another 2 years with the 156 :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sailed right through MOT, and now ready for another 2 years with the 156 :D
Nice brinker, another 156 to stay on the roads. Judging by all the ones up for wrecking for parts down here, most people don't want to put the effort in to keep them working. I find it interesting that most of them are selespeeds. I made of point of going manual for reliability sake.

Forgot to mention on my recent road trip I averaged 7.4l/100km and range was listing over 1000km when it was full. The way that fuel dial works though, not sure I can trust those figures.

4501 - 4520 of 4534 Posts