Alfa Romeo Forum banner

4481 - 4500 of 4534 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Out with the old, in with the new. 30 seconds job on the back of a GT.
View attachment 934937

View attachment 934938
I just did my front badge, I think I used the "old style" with the maroon red instead of the brighter red....but can be hard to tell in photos etc. Am I right in thinking the newer logo has a brighter red, and that's what you've used?

I also got 4 x hub cab emblems, will fit as swap rear disks/pads and bleed the brakes.

I was waiting so long for disks that one pad wore so thin it fell out!

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Changed the pollen filters, still not convinced I've done it correctly. All the instructions I've seen make no sense, the instructions that came with the filter were even more unfathomable. Logic dictates that the air flow arrow on the filter should point toward the inside of the car but it's not clear. We'll see next time I switch the heater on. I'm glad I'm still reasonably flexible as the job is not kind on the neck and back. (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Changed the pollen filters, still not convinced I've done it correctly. All the instructions I've seen make no sense, the instructions that came with the filter were even more unfathomable. Logic dictates that the air flow arrow on the filter should point toward the inside of the car but it's not clear. We'll see next time I switch the heater on. I'm glad I'm still reasonably flexible as the job is not kind on the neck and back. (y)
I've just got a service kit from alfaworkshop including the pollen filter:
from what I understand, the first one goes in with the flaps on the sides, and the fold of the flap towards the bulkhead (the open bit towards you).
The second one, the flaps are left/right but the open ends go to the bulkhead, and interlock with the flap of the first filter.
This links them, makes it kinda one-piece and airtight in the middle.
I've not tried it yet though

"The two piece filter replaces the original filter, now the filters only go one way round and there is a flap in the centre that has to interlock to provide an air tight seal. So slide one in with the flap to the outside of the car and then push it towards the centre of the car, then slide the other pollen filter up making sure the flap is in the correct place and refit the lower panel. "

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I've just got a service kit from alfaworkshop including the pollen filter:
from what I understand, the first one goes in with the flaps on the sides, and the fold of the flap towards the bulkhead (the open bit towards you).
The second one, the flaps are left/right but the open ends go to the bulkhead, and interlock with the flap of the first filter.
This links them, makes it kinda one-piece and airtight in the middle.
I've not tried it yet though

"The two piece filter replaces the original filter, now the filters only go one way round and there is a flap in the centre that has to interlock to provide an air tight seal. So slide one in with the flap to the outside of the car and then push it towards the centre of the car, then slide the other pollen filter up making sure the flap is in the correct place and refit the lower panel. "
Thanks Sir. I've read the instructions a few times and it seems completely counter intuitive. How you could get the two to interlock is beyond me, there's literally no room to do anything in the 'back on the kick-plate, head under the blower motor' position you need to be in. To get them to interlock would mean that one of the filters' air flow is opposite to the other... makes no sense at all... although I could have the complete wrong end of the stick here... :unsure:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Sir. I've read the instructions a few times and it seems completely counter intuitive. How you could get the two to interlock is beyond me, there's literally no room to do anything in the 'back on the kick-plate, head under the blower motor' position you need to be in. To get them to interlock would mean that one of the filters' air flow is opposite to the other... makes no sense at all... although I could have the complete wrong end of the stick here... :unsure:
I went and got my filters:
I agree with you, they can't be "interlocked" as the flaps are the same on each side. I assumed they would be different so you could spin the filter 180 degrees and get the flap pointing the other way while keeping "airflow" the correct way.

So, assuming they do fit with flaps left/right (middle flaps touching each other) it's probably fine to just have them pushing against each other. Airflow will increase this seal's effectiveness.

Did yours fit so that the middle flaps were touching, or are the flaps top/bottom when inserted?

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I went and got my filters:
I agree with you, they can't be "interlocked" as the flaps are the same on each side. I assumed they would be different so you could spin the filter 180 degrees and get the flap pointing the other way while keeping "airflow" the correct way.

So, assuming they do fit with flaps left/right (middle flaps touching each other) it's probably fine to just have them pushing against each other. Airflow will increase this seal's effectiveness.

Did yours fit so that the middle flaps were touching, or are the flaps top/bottom when inserted?
Cheers for looking. It's weird isn't it? The filters can only be fitted in one orientation as the flap side is slightly longer than the other, so as you suggested the flap sides of the filters sit beside each other in situ and in a vertical position. If you try fitting them with the flap side horizontal there is not enough room for the second filter. With the first filter in place it would be a proper challenge to ensure that the flap was open to allow the other filter to interlock due to the confined space. Also, when they are interlocked there is a slight offset to the filters. At the moment both my filters are sat in the same orientation with the air flow arrow point towards the car's cabin. It seems the early cars had filters under the windscreen scuttle panel, that would have been nice but I guess they moved them for a reason, perhaps there was an issue with them getting choked up with detritus or something. (y) :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cheers for looking. It's weird isn't it? The filters can only be fitted in one orientation as the flap side is slightly longer than the other, so as you suggested the flap sides of the filters sit beside each other in situ and in a vertical position. If you try fitting them with the flap side horizontal there is not enough room for the second filter. With the first filter in place it would be a proper challenge to ensure that the flap was open to allow the other filter to interlock due to the confined space. Also, when they are interlocked there is a slight offset to the filters. At the moment both my filters are sat in the same orientation with the air flow arrow point towards the car's cabin. It seems the early cars had filters under the windscreen scuttle panel, that would have been nice but I guess they moved them for a reason, perhaps there was an issue with them getting choked up with detritus or something. (y) :)
i think on balance, you've done it correctly, and I'm gonna do the same when I do mine :) I wonder whether they wrote "interlock" but meant "butt up against"

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I've no idea... 50/50 that it's right but if worse comes to the worst, I don't mind crabbing over the sill again ?

Before you have a go, you'll need a 10mm socket for the carpet trim bolts and a 5.5mm for the filter housing cover, yeah... 5.5mm. Thanks Alfa :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've no idea... 50/50 that it's right but if worse comes to the worst, I don't mind crabbing over the sill again ?

Before you have a go, you'll need a 10mm socket for the carpet trim bolts and a 5.5mm for the filter housing cover, yeah... 5.5mm. Thanks Alfa :D
the alfaworkshop link also tells you the tools if you've been a customer of theirs, can be handy.

A 5.5mm is just a 5mm +hammer.....

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
the alfaworkshop link also tells you the tools if you've been a customer of theirs, can be handy.

A 5.5mm is just a 5mm +hammer.....
Ta muchly, good to know. I've just noticed on one of my photos, there's an arrow on the filter housing (the arrows on the filters are pointing the same way). Hmm :D. With my head jammed up against the bulkhead I never noticed it...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Busy cleaning mine at the moment, it's been a while...

2-bucket washed yesterday but the paintwork was too hot for anything else.

Wiped all panels down with tar/bug remover this morning, followed up by claybar treatment all over, then Megs 205 on a soft microfibre pad with my DAS6 Pro polisher over the bonnet/wings... Rest of the bodywork could use it too, but sun was coming round the house imminently, so I wanted a sealent on the paintwork before the black paint started heating up again.

Everything got a wipe down with IPA to remove polish residue/clay-lube, then a fresh coat of Fusso Soft99 sealent.

Still to do:
  • Deep clean glass all round
  • Wheels off for a deep clean
  • Poorboys Natty's Black paste wax over the Soft99 when that's had time to polymerise
  • All interior needs a clean, leather needs a clean/condition
Looking not too bad for 185k miles at the moment though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I gave my 156 sportwagon a good clean, polish and wax today. First time using any kind of "proper" products and i was pretty pleased with the results. I used mequires wash and wax, then a bilt hamber clay (never used one before), then another wash, then mequires ultimate compound, followed by mequires hybrid liquid wax - all by hand..

It now it shows how bad the paintwork is scratched and the wheels are scuffed. But it's a vast improvement and reignited my love the car :).

Yes the bonnet is dented, it flew up at 70MPH and obliterated the windscreen.

What do people use on their glass to clean, and make the rain fall do what it does on waxed paint?

Before

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

After

A04073E5-F4FC-4FD0-90E6-3D167EFD24C8.JPG

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Busy cleaning mine at the moment, it's been a while...

2-bucket washed yesterday but the paintwork was too hot for anything else.

Wiped all panels down with tar/bug remover this morning, followed up by claybar treatment all over, then Megs 205 on a soft microfibre pad with my DAS6 Pro polisher over the bonnet/wings... Rest of the bodywork could use it too, but sun was coming round the house imminently, so I wanted a sealent on the paintwork before the black paint started heating up again.

Everything got a wipe down with IPA to remove polish residue/clay-lube, then a fresh coat of Fusso Soft99 sealent.

Still to do:
  • Deep clean glass all round
  • Wheels off for a deep clean
  • Poorboys Natty's Black paste wax over the Soft99 when that's had time to polymerise
  • All interior needs a clean, leather needs a clean/condition
Looking not too bad for 185k miles at the moment though!
I have to do mine properly soon. I wet sanded a patch with 3M Trizact, 105, 205 last year and it's massively different to the rest of the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

I gave my 156 sportwagon a good clean, polish and wax today. First time using any kind of "proper" products and i was pretty pleased with the results. I used mequires wash and wax, then a bilt hamber clay (never used one before), then another wash, then mequires ultimate compound, followed by mequires hybrid liquid wax - all by hand..

It now it shows how bad the paintwork is scratched and the wheels are scuffed. But it's a vast improvement and reignited my love the car :).

Yes the bonnet is dented, it flew up at 70MPH and obliterated the windscreen.

What do people use on their glass to clean, and make the rain fall do what it does on waxed paint?

Before

View attachment 935361

View attachment 935362

View attachment 935363

After

View attachment 935364

View attachment 935365

View attachment 935366

View attachment 935367
I've recently acquired some Angelwax H2GO stuff and am favouring it over Rain-X. As for cleaning the glass, I'm in the elbow-grease camp! Unless you have water-spots or something that wont budge, then I crack out the cerium oxide

·
Registered
482 Posts
Gave the bonnet, wings, roof and boot it's first polish and wax since I gave it a repaint in January. Not perfect, but significantly better than a haze of crazing clear coat covering the panels, and not bad for my first attempt at car painting.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well I followed the guides on here a took all my lights out the front end. They all had water/water marks/condensation in. Washed them all though with screen wash, dried them out over night and refitted. Small thing but much happier it's done and looks better too :0)
Do you mean specifically the lower indicator lights either side of the grille?
My Right hand one was carrying a lot of water! Like half full!
I sorted it out but had to resort it- the water I think drips down the cable and into the unit.
I might re-check soon to see if it's ok.

At least if not I'll always have a bi of bonus water if I ever run out of screenwash!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I started a thread like this EXACTLY the same a few years ago. I thought it was my own thread coming back.

But unlike this thread my thread had NO responses :lol:
I thought I had spotted this thread yeeeaaaaars ago when I joined the forum in Oct or Nov 2007 when I got my 147...
I was too busy searching for help doing all the things that I needed to do to the car before adding things myself lol!

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
359 Posts
Rust repair in prep for MOT, with the help of a colleague. Forgot to take final pic. Will primer today, paint during next week. Leaky exhaust also fixed.

·
Administrator
87,045 Posts
4481 - 4500 of 4534 Posts