Alfa Romeo Forum banner

4421 - 4440 of 4457 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Has anyone who drives a GTA have the engine temperature of their car always showing low temperatures? My GTA thermostat used to be stuck at 50C, then after I took it to the garage to change the thermometer, it will go up to 60-75C, but it would never reach 90C like my GT. For those of you who drives a GTA, does your thermometer ever rise to 90C when you drive your car? My GTA is second hand so I don't know if all GTAs are like this.
It should rise to about 75 and stick there when driving. It's quite common for them to then yo-yo up and down when the car is idling / in stop-start traffic, where the temp will often rise to about 100 on the gauge. The cooling fans kick in and then it'll drop to a touch under 90 again and repeat. At least that's what mine does. Definitely get it looked at, make sure the coolant temp-sensor and thermostat are working properly (y)

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Finally got round to getting a few bits sorted:

1. Dropped off the 156 at the paint shop (again) after I damaged the rear quarter and to repair a nasty stone chip
2. Grabbed a train over to see a man at Penrith to borrow a diesel wagon
3. Picked up a nice upgrade for the summer

(y)

Attachments

·
Administrator
86,749 Posts
Voting now open for the previous entries January 2020 AO Detailing Competition Vote

Vote for whoever you think deserves to win (y)

February Detailing competition now open for entries February 2020 Detailing Competition Entries

Don't let the title put you off, it doesn't have to be a full detail, a wash & a clean will do, if the car looks good take some pics & submit them, please include some info on what you have done to the car (y)

Check out the updated rules here Monthly Detailing Competition Rules

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,102 Posts
Parts for the rear suspension refurb so far.

1. Rear top suspension mounts - tick

www.ebay.co.uk

ALFA ROMEO 147 & GT New 2X GENUINE Rear Shock Absorber Top Mount 46791956 (PAIR) | eBay
2x new rear shock absorber top mounts. 1.6 16V Twin Spark standard models. 2.0 16V Twin Spark standard models. note this top mount only fits standard model versions suspension.
www.ebay.co.uk

2. Rear Shocks - tick

3. Rear Springs - tick

www.ebay.co.uk

Suplex Coil Spring, Rear Axle, OE Quality, 01024 4039551010240 | eBay
Part Number: 01024. SUPLEX COIL SPRING. SUPLEX springs are shot-peened in order to compact the surface and extend the longevity. All SUPLEX springs are provided with a zinc phosphate coating, which is primarily to keep the epoxy powder coating in a robust state.
www.ebay.co.uk

4. Bump Stops / Cover - tick

www.ebay.co.uk

2x Genuine OE Quality Febi Rear Shock Absorber Dust Cover - 36318 4027816363187 | eBay
Why this exclusivity?. A dust cover kit provides protection for the shock absorber piston rod with a water tight seal preventing dirt and grit damaging the internals of the damper. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused.
www.ebay.co.uk

5. Lower Mount Bolts + Nut - tick

6. Rear anti roll bar bushes - tick

www.ebay.co.uk

Rear Anti-Roll Bar Stabiliser Bush Alfa Romeo:156,147,145,146,GTV,GT,SPIDER 5908229974971 | eBay
Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Rear Anti-Roll Bar Stabiliser Bush Alfa Romeo:156,147,145,146,GTV,GT,SPIDER at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!
www.ebay.co.uk

7. Rear dop links - tick

8. Rear shock top cup - tick

·
Registered
182 Posts
Had my passenger door blown out of the hands of my wife by storm winds, hitting a rather new and shiney VW polo, damage to the GT is minimal to nonexistent, the polo has a dent and rather bad paint scrapage.... Filled out insurance forms and all that, and im hoping itll all work out without costing me tons of money.

Either way, back to contemplating boring economic and most importantly, short-doored jap shopping trolleys then

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi!
I sold my 156 busso last week and bought 159 V6 as a replacement. I got so good offer and this 159 has only 113000 km mileage.

Good bye dear Busso!

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,102 Posts
Parts for the rear suspension refurb.

1. Rear top suspension mounts - tick

www.ebay.co.uk

ALFA ROMEO 147 & GT New 2X GENUINE Rear Shock Absorber Top Mount 46791956 (PAIR) | eBay
2x new rear shock absorber top mounts. 1.6 16V Twin Spark standard models. 2.0 16V Twin Spark standard models. note this top mount only fits standard model versions suspension.
www.ebay.co.uk

2. Rear Shocks - tick

3. Rear Springs - tick

www.ebay.co.uk

Suplex Coil Spring, Rear Axle, OE Quality, 01024 4039551010240 | eBay
Part Number: 01024. SUPLEX COIL SPRING. SUPLEX springs are shot-peened in order to compact the surface and extend the longevity. All SUPLEX springs are provided with a zinc phosphate coating, which is primarily to keep the epoxy powder coating in a robust state.
www.ebay.co.uk

4. Bump Stops / Cover - tick

www.ebay.co.uk

2x Genuine OE Quality Febi Rear Shock Absorber Dust Cover - 36318 4027816363187 | eBay
Why this exclusivity?. A dust cover kit provides protection for the shock absorber piston rod with a water tight seal preventing dirt and grit damaging the internals of the damper.
www.ebay.co.uk

5. Lower Mount Bolts + Nut - tick

6. Rear anti-roll bar bushes - tick

www.ebay.co.uk

Rear Anti-Roll Bar Stabiliser Bush Alfa Romeo:156,147,145,146,GTV,GT,SPIDER 5908229974971 | eBay
Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Rear Anti-Roll Bar Stabiliser Bush Alfa Romeo:156,147,145,146,GTV,GT,SPIDER at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!
www.ebay.co.uk

7. Rear dop links - tick

8. Rear shock top cup - tick
All parts now in, goes in next week for fitting and then MOT time.....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dropped in a bottle of Whyns injector cleaner this morning, the GT has been giving some fuel trim errors now and then, figured this couldnt hurt.

Otherwise i just keep obsessing about whether i want to keep the GT as a day to day car, and how i dont want to get rid of it, but on the other hand dont consider it special enough to make a "special" car, considering it would be the 4th car in the household.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Got a good deal on a jack tool kit from a 156 to go into my GT. The GT had a full size spare but one of those gel type repair kits with a compressor. The 156 tool mounting is designed to go over a space saver wheel and wouldn't screw down so I made a modification. I used some copper tube that I had sitting around, threaded both ends, cut the head off an M8 bolt and threaded the end of that, screwed the 3 bits together and now the tool kit sits inside the spare and can be screwed down.
spare 1.jpg

Tool kit in place.
spare2.jpg

The annoying part is that the kit I bought was missing a tow hook. When I bought the GT 4 months ago there were 2 tow hooks wrapped up with the compressor/gel thingy. Now I can't find them.
The boot floor is slightly raised (a few mm) with the full size spare but hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the first time in my life I've tried to tint the windows on my Alfa GT...not an easy task without a heat gun...the side windows are not so difficult, with some patience(and if possible a heat gun :LOL:) it goes perfect...on the rear windshield it's another story!! A heat gun is totally needed, it is very hard to reach the borders and the stop light is in the way, so the best way is to remove the plastics and do the job...the result: totally failed on the rear one...ill have to buy some more film and a heat gun and do it again.
I wanted to do a before and after but I forgot it! I'll try to remember when I wrap some worn parts on the interior.
I'll leave some photos, even from the failed rear windshield :rolleyes::p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some photos of the rear suspension work.
Nice!!
Wich Alfa model do you have?

I wish I had some place like that to work on my GT...theres a lot of simple things that I could make at home but I have to pay a mechanic due to lack of a space like that.
Like today, I watch him changing the wheel bearing and it's as easy as changing brake pads or a brake discs.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,102 Posts
A GT 2.0 jts all work done at my friends garage who has repaired all my alfa's over the years.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
ECU for facelift JTS arrived back from Stephan at Squadra Tuning today. He has asked me for a diagnostic log as he tells me he has not seen a JTS record more than 440kg/hr of air via the MAF. My engine records 460kg/hr. The MAF is genuine as is air filter, air box and manifolds. Hopefully my very clean JTS engine will now perform even better.

The new alloy wheels arrived also. I went cheap and managed to avoid paying postage to UK so the price was around £260 for the set of 4. They will fit perfectly and not need a spigot ring which is a reason why I went for them. I have retained 6.5x16 wheels as I don't wish to have larger rims absorb the extra power. I also chose them on spoke to void ratio and for nearly flat spokes to make alignment easier. They are Dezent TD.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
First wash of the year today, and I had a go with the Holt's Headlight Restoration kit I picked up a few months ago.

On the downside, I used twice as much sandpaper on one side than the other so only got one light done...

On the upside however, the results speak for themselves:

Need to buy some more paper sanding discs, then I'll get the other side sorted too. The kit has plenty of polish/protector spray to do many sets of headlights, just nowhere near enough sandpaper to get it done.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
First wash of the year today, and I had a go with the Holt's Headlight Restoration kit I picked up a few months ago.

On the downside, I used twice as much sandpaper on one side than the other so only got one light done...

Need to buy some more paper sanding discs, then I'll get the other side sorted too. The kit has plenty of polish/protector spray to do many sets of headlights, just nowhere near enough sandpaper to get it done.

Has this GT been to the moon and back yet! :ROFLMAO:

I don't know why they are stingy with the sandpaper, it's not exactly dear is it?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Has this GT been to the moon and back yet! :ROFLMAO:
Ha! Not quite, I left my job with the silly commute in Sept-2018, have only been clocking up 8.5k miles per year since... A big step down from the 37k per year previously!

Just ticking up to 185k miles now though, so a decent chunk of a one way trip to the moon ;)

MOT is due in about a month, lets see what that turns up!

4421 - 4440 of 4457 Posts