Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Out with the old, in with the new. 30 seconds job on the back of a GT.
View attachment 934937

View attachment 934938
Epic fail. It fell off after first short drive :LOL:
Luckily the Chinese sell them in pair, so the I used black silicone on the edges and super glue in the middle for the other one. But this other one has a paint chip on it :whistle: Soo, I'll probably swap with the newer version silver logo when this falls off :D

· Registered
147 Posts
My inner CV axle joint failed completely on my long trip way home, car was shaking so much as it got worse.
Lucky I managed to arrive home slowly.

I replaced the whole side driveshaft and while at it the lower wishbone (upper was changed recently).

Not a terribly hard job If you have an access to lift / channel in the ground in the garage.
I was surprised that gearbox oil started leaking when pulling out the old driveshaft. Previous research showed both possible outcomes :LOL:

All went well, card drives fine now. Wheel aliment remaining. All in all nice DIY and satisfying job!
Attaching couple of pictures. Cheers!

· Registered
147 Posts
It seems to, yes.
In my case the inner cross joint was changed ~20k miles before - but it seems that the boot failed due to the metal clamp being over tightened.

And this inner joint failing is pretty common on 147 /156 /GT's with 110kw due to bad design...

· Registered
147 Posts
Winter prep > cleaned the Inner wheel arches, under the mud guards (if that's what they are called).
There was at least 1KG of dirt and bolts were almost seized, so it has never been done before for sure.
The whole cavities were full completely of compacted dirt.

I was super impressed that there was no rust inside considering that the dirt was compacted and wet just sitting there! o_O There was only little bit of rust on the surface where the bodywork is constantly pounded by the road grime and rocks.
Alfa just got a big + in my book for bodywork quality and protection. (y)🐍

Also added wax spray protection after cleaning. Rust convertor and paint on the corroded bits as well.
And a big recommendation for doing this if you have not before. Cheers!

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Tire Floor
Tire Architecture Automotive tire Metal
Floor Tile Flooring Room Concrete

· Registered
147 Posts
Currently in the process of DIY cambelt (and aux belt) change.
Had issues with a bolt on the aux idler and water pump.

Good timing for replacement it seems, every part I took of was worn out, event if the set only has ~40.000 km.
Plus the timing belt was loose (incorrect tensioner arrow position).
Sending pics of failing water pump. SKF is supposed to be good, but unlikely it seems...
Technology Machine Metal Plastic Cylinder

But I managed to snap the timing belt idler bolt while bolting it on - with a "torque wrench". :rolleyes:
Waiting for Monday to get some bolt extractors or a mechanic who can extract it so I can continue my "DIY".
Wish me luck! 😇

· Registered
147 Posts
Managed to take the alternator off for replacing the pulley, pig of a job to take the alternator out!
Discovered that the bearings are also shut.
If anyone know the alternator bearings codes, I'd appreciate it! :)
It's a JTD 16v, Denso 120A code 46748353.
Gas

New pulley ready to go.
Metal Carton Label Box Material property

· Registered
147 Posts
Did a service on my GT JTD, this time with the most quality parts I could get my hands on (in Serbia).

Discovered Millers Trident 5w-40 (I don't have DPF), which claims to be "fully synthetic", funny enough made in the UK :)
Engine is at least 20% quieter, which is something I never ever noticed on any oil change, so seems promising.

Tip if someone does not know: on these jtd 16v engines, you can take off the oil cooler pipes and drain additional 0.5L of old oil. This way you actually use all of 5L of the can you buy - no money wasted there 😁

I've been using the car a lot more on long journeys (650 miles in one day), and I'm loving the car even more - especially on the fast twisty parts. Just a reminder for everyone on how good of a fast cruiser car a GT actually is :cool:😄

Cheers!

· Registered
147 Posts
You don't actually need to use any heat resistant pain on the calipers, any spray can will do the job as long as the surface is prepped properly. Calipers don't go that hot anyway any well prepped painted surface will stay that way for long time. Talking from personal experience on multiple cars.

· Registered
147 Posts
Replaced the outer tie rod end. It's pretty straightforward - unless the nut securing it is stuck shut!
Couple of minutes with a blowtorch and a hammer combo - hey presto it's off!

Went for a Germany made Meyle as I couldn't find anything better (TRW).

Other side is on for Saturday - I hope it get's easier than this one :)
Food Liquid Fluid Ingredient Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Water Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas

1 - 20 of 24 Posts