Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
751 Posts
Started at 1800, finished at 0500. It was a long night!

Changed both rear springs (one was broken)
Rebuilt one Koni damper
Clean and service all rear suspension components
Undersealed bodywork where top caps sit
Oil and filter change
Fit Brembo 'large family' calipers to front (Took a while using different sized shims to align perfectly)
Fit 330 x 28mm discs
Bleed system through
All fittings drilled for lockwire
Prep for new master cylinder with larger piston
Drink lots of tea
Listen to R2 all night

Attachments

· Registered
751 Posts
Today I am mostly getting fed up with the car.....

Sun's out so decided to replace the NSF wheel bearing which has been grumbling for a while. Assumed that all would be straightforward since I had that side apart two years ago, but no! Anyway, removed the upright and knocked off the hub which has taken the outer shell of the inner bearing with it. I suspect it might have spun on the hub which could make it a sod to remove.

I'm now off for a walk with the dog while the hub warms up in the oven. If that doesn't work I think I'll have to grind it off unless you can think of another way?

· Registered
751 Posts
I'm afraid to know for sure it's a bearing issue, because I don't think I can do the change myself and I'd rather just turning up the music. :LOL:

It's gonna be inevitable tho, so now I'm just wasting time not doing anything with it.
Do it, you'll be fine! It's not a technically difficult job at all, just half a dozen nuts to undo. You will need a 36mm thin-walled socket and a ball joint splitter. If you're vaguely local then I'll give you a hand....

· Registered
751 Posts
Amassing parts ready for my mini refit.... So far the courier has delivered Eibach ARBs with Powerflex bushes, adjustable drop links, Yellowstuff front pads, standard rear pads, additional gauges (oil temp and pressure), perspex/leather to make the gauge housing, 20mm hubcentric wheel spacers, silicone turbo to airbox hose with new MAF, new Proxes T1Rs all round, Fuchs gearbox oil....... Just waiting for a friend's lift to be available and then it'll be endless cups of tea, sandwiches and then beer. Should have it all done and 4-wheel aligned over a week-end.

· Registered
751 Posts
Today I have mostly been removing the wheel spacers that I put on yesterday.

Hub-centric and well made 20mm spacers but I really didn't like the results. I admit the only reason I fitted them was aesthetics and increasing scrub can have positive benefits as well as negative ones, but the steering didn't feel quite as precise as before. Perhaps that was just my imagination but I don't think so.

I shall stick them on the Myford and turn them down in 2mm increments and see if I can find a point where I like them.

· Registered
751 Posts
Changed the OSF upper wishbone. The old one only lasted 3,000 mls and is a perfect example of 'buy cheap, buy twice'. I've just fitted a TRW part which is what I should have done in the first place......... Also changed the g'box oil while it was up in the air.

· Registered
751 Posts
I would like an oil temp meter, where did you fit the sender?
Mine's a diesel.... Look on the oil filter casing and you'll see two hex headed grub screws. They're blanking plugs and M18 x 1.5. I used an adaptor (most sender units are 3/8UNF) and PTFE. All fine, no leaks and reads okay.

· Registered
751 Posts
Hello,

can you please tell me more about the adjustable drop links, pictures, link where you bought them, price, etc.?

Thank you
The drop links are from Larkspeed but there are loads available out there. Don't bother with super cheap ones though as the knuckle will fail quickly. The ones I bought have different length centre sections to suit a variety of cars.

Very simple to set-up...
Remove drop links
Roll car back and forwards to settle suspension in normal position
Put car over a pit or lift up on wheels (4-post lift)
Ensure ARB is at normal position
Measure distance between centres (distance from ARB to strut bracket) and add 5mm
This is the distance the adjustable drop link should be - the ARB should have no play either end, but it shouldn't be preloaded either.
Finally, ensure nothing will foul through the suspension's travel.

Sorry, no pics. Didn't think to take any.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts