Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1861 - 1880 of 1914 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Could some kind soul please take a picture of a V6 upper engine mounting rod near the bulkhead. I have fitted a poly version and it seems to be distorting it. I'm wondering if it was fitted the correct way. Also has anyone recently had a full respray for a coupe ? The quotes I'm getting are quite depressing and vary a bit.

Thanks

James
Check there are washers for the polybush, if not then it will distorts and finally wear through very quickly.... Yep a respray for gtv starting at £2k and above depending on spec, different colour, remove windows etc etc... 🍀

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
UploadFile1592590391.314960.jpg
UploadFile1592590370.083488.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Photos above - washers as per previous post.

Did you remove the inner bush part of the engine stay before inserting the polybush?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Photos above - washers as per previous post.

Did you remove the inner bush part of the engine stay before inserting the polybush?

Matt

Thanks for the time in replying, now I'm really confused. Is perhaps yours wrong as well? I was supplied with 2 large Washers which I have fitted against the engine mount. I have the small end fitted in the bulkhead with the rod angled down and the large end fitted to the engine mount with the washers. You seem to have the large end in the bulkhead and the small end on the engine mount with no washers at all. I'm sorry but I took this apart 5 years ago and have no clue what is the correct orientation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Ha, I’m not so sure now. I fitted this in 2016. Previously there was obvious movement on the engine mount when revved, now it’s rock solid. Maybe the large washers should be fitted but I’ve had no probs at all.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Matt

Thanks for the time in replying, now I'm really confused. Is perhaps yours wrong as well? I was supplied with 2 large Washers which I have fitted against the engine mount. I have the small end fitted in the bulkhead with the rod angled down and the large end fitted to the engine mount with the washers. You seem to have the large end in the bulkhead and the small end on the engine mount with no washers at all. I'm sorry but I took this apart 5 years ago and have no clue what is the correct orientation.
Where is it distorting?

Mine didn't come with any washes but after a couple of years I bought a couple off ebay.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you look carefully at my picture you can see it distorting in the chassis mount. I think I have the ends the right way round but don't know if the rod should angle up or down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pulled her out of the garage this morning for a run in the sun..

Before going out I gave her a good wipe down wiith Williams waterless wax - really good for keeping on top of the shine between washes...

Got in the car drove a few hundred yards over a speed bump - clonk.. hmm, few hundred yards further on... clunk bank bing badaboosh bong ... looked out the rear mirror - couple of things bouncing down the road behind me.. Pulled up went to look - I have about 3/4 of the turn of a coil spring from the drivers front suspension in two pieces in my hand. Thats German engineering for you - an Eibach spring in less than one piece

Very carefully I made it the half mile back to the garage - and tucked her up - something to deal with another day...

The MGB after it's run out this morning has a sticking rear drum.. Now this in the GTV, thats 50% of the fleet needing some tlc - arrgh! Thankfully the S2K and Ipace are running (looks for a large piece of wood) well..

·
Registered
518 Posts

Fitted a new wind deflector to the Spider after my daughter had decided to break my other one with her head!! Don’t ask 😂 After I bought and fitted this I realised I had another one that I had forgotten about!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Zinc-sprayed and stainless-bolted my replacement front pipe and main cat in readiness for fitting in the next day or three. Then forgot to take obligatory photo of said equipment.

Oh, and used some satin black spray foil to tart up my L and R black plastic engine bay cosmetic panels. Worked a treat. They look like new now ... and this at least has a little flex in it.

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yesterday - a visit to a local garage to swap my two front coil springs after one of them gave up the ghost (from the receipts I have - it's lasted about 6 years. The other one was perfectly fine. AlfaWorkshop got them to me in 24 hours - result.

Today, couple of minor jobs - including fitting the short shift kit from totallyAlfa - seems to have really tightened up the gearstick - yes only affects the north south operation, but its much more positive and way less travel! I think I'm going to like this - more like my S2000 than my MGB ;-)

The mechanic pointed out to me friday - that I had 19mm bolts on the front wheels and 17mm bolts on the back, which could have been problematic as I only had a 17mm wheel wrench in the car. The wheels are GTA teledials with spacers - anyway I ordered a set of 17mm bolts otherwise the same as the ones on the front - job for next weekend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cleaned up the underside ('cept for rear subframe and suspension), redid stonechip in a few spots, de-clanked the replacement catalyst recently fitted by grinding 1.5mm off the hanger. Fitted new lambda sensor (Magneti Marelli). Umm ... eyeballed the antirollbar droplink bushes and decided some new lower arms, bushes, and droplinks would be in order. So that cometh next. Well, after the 10w60 ester-based oil swap early in the week.

Oh - also removed, wirebrushed, zinc-sprayed, stonechipped and satin-blacked the front subframe braces.

Pondering how to clean up / de-yellow / whatever the coolant reservoir. Just looks a touch old. Works fine ... open to clever ideas.

Gin. Because it's that time of life!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Finished off the ICE install of the headunit - I now have remote control, hands free and a neatly fitted head unit. A full day to do this.

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
74 Posts
Cleaned up the underside ('cept for rear subframe and suspension), redid stonechip in a few spots, de-clanked the replacement catalyst recently fitted by grinding 1.5mm off the hanger. Fitted new lambda sensor (Magneti Marelli). Umm ... eyeballed the antirollbar droplink bushes and decided some new lower arms, bushes, and droplinks would be in order. So that cometh next. Well, after the 10w60 ester-based oil swap early in the week.

Oh - also removed, wirebrushed, zinc-sprayed, stonechipped and satin-blacked the front subframe braces.

Pondering how to clean up / de-yellow / whatever the coolant reservoir. Just looks a touch old. Works fine ... open to clever ideas.

Gin. Because it's that time of life!
10W60 ester oil smells fantastic, worth the extra for that alone!

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Changed the gearbox oil and and while it was draining removed end plate to clear out debris, replaced plate using Permatex sealant. Made the necessary tool to remove the drain plug to diff level if ever needed. I had an M7 Ribe socket that had shattered the end and I'd made it into a 10 mm Allen socket so I removed 17 mm off the end to make the tool. Image included. The ends are chamfered so it can be eased into place on the diagonal initially and still give sufficient length to locate within the plug allowing for the long 10 mm ring spanner to fit as well.
image.jpeg

1861 - 1880 of 1914 Posts