Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 1914 Posts

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
Betsy has been in storage for the past 4 years. Finally replaced the alternator on my V6, not a job for the faint hearted 😝😝. Whilst changing alternator, I dropped the subframe for access to alternator, this was cleaned, reprotected & repainted. Also replaced the track rod ends, wishbones, front discs, overhauled both driveshafts, new front wheel bearings, hubs & front anti roll bar with new bushes (powerflex).

Next is to get the rear end into shape.

Reactions: v6coop

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
After too long taking bits off I have actually started the rebuild. I have to say the timing belt change (zero miles but five years after the last one!) is a lot easier than with the engine in the car! New water pump, aux belt, tensioner (fitted now but not at time of photo) and idlers, new bearings and regulator/brushes for the alternator with a polish for the casing, new or repainted belt covers (still to go on the front) re-plating pulleys and nuts with yellow passivated zinc. Glad to have got started but still a long way to go!
View attachment 937366
Looks sweet 😎👍🏼. Have you got a picture of the front, I need to replace the power steering pump.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Looks sweet 😎👍🏼. Have you got a picture of the front, I need to replace the power steering pump.
That sounds expensive what is wrong with it Stixy? Happy to take another photo but what do you want to see? There is nothing connected to it yet in fact there are a couple of bolts in the back that I need to research excactly what they held in place before because I can't remember! I think a hose clip bracket. If you have a leak it might be the banjo pipe which seems to corrode very badly. I had mine re-plated after cleaning. On here below the crank pulley.
re-plated.jpg

·
Registered
225 Posts
Today I sorted a cheaper way to revive the poor old chrome covering on the Spider grill. Forget the chrome. Instead, I painted it.
Since I have a Spider with a blue style interior I went for 2 shades of pearlescent paint. Also did the seat belt guides at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Today I sorted a cheaper way to revive the poor old chrome covering on the Spider grill. Forget the chrome. Instead, I painted it.
Since I have a Spider with a blue style interior I went for 2 shades of pearlescent paint. Also did the seat belt guides at the same time.
Love what you’ve done with the grille, not so keen on the seat belt guides.

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
That sounds expensive what is wrong with it Stixy? Happy to take another photo but what do you want to see? There is nothing connected to it yet in fact there are a couple of bolts in the back that I need to research excactly what they held in place before because I can't remember! I think a hose clip bracket. If you have a leak it might be the banjo pipe which seems to corrode very badly. I had mine re-plated after cleaning. On here below the crank pulley.
View attachment 937421
Coop, when underneath I’ve noticed a large damp area around the power steering pump. I need to clean the area first and check. All I was after, as the engine is out of the car, is a picture of how the pump is mounted to the engine.

Reactions: v6coop

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just upgraded front brakes to the 330 Brembos on my V6 Spider.
Added an alfaholics rear box and straight through centre pipe.
Very pleased with both.

PS now have a set of standard brembos for sale. Will advertise here and probably ebay.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Coop, when underneath I’ve noticed a large damp area around the power steering pump. I need to clean the area first and check. All I was after, as the engine is out of the car, is a picture of how the pump is mounted to the engine.
Stixy. I will get a photo when it stops raining! I guess we have had summer now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
Stixy. I will get a photo when it stops raining! I guess we have had summer now :rolleyes:
🤣🤣🤣 Yep I agree with that statement

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Replaced a hydraulic hose so the Spider hood is back to being fully automatic.

Reactions: The Rat

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
74 Posts
Stuck a screwdriver through the rusty bottom of the nearside rear quarter panel, took the sill cover off to reveal a beautiful shiny sill, and planned the attack with the angle grinder and MIG welder.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Could some kind soul please take a picture of a V6 upper engine mounting rod near the bulkhead. I have fitted a poly version and it seems to be distorting it. I'm wondering if it was fitted the correct way. Also has anyone recently had a full respray for a coupe ? The quotes I'm getting are quite depressing and vary a bit.

Thanks

James

1841 - 1860 of 1914 Posts