Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1701 - 1719 of 1719 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
WOW, that's a massive difference, can I ask what you used and/or how you did it, I think I may have some time in the near future to do mine. !!

Cheers
Sure...

All you need is a flat screwdriver and an oven.

1. Remove the three clips that hold the glass attached to housing of the headlight.
2. Put the headlight in oven and "bake" it for 7-10 minutes at the lowest temperature, you just want the glue to soften.
3. Take the headlight and slowly start to open the glass as you pry with the screwdriver on those three spots were the clips were. Just do it evenly and it should start slowly popping out from the housing.

I've taken the shiny part just to clean down under, but you don't have to as it's really not necessary. Anyway, DO NOT touch or try to clean the shiny part (reflector). You can maybe blow the dust with compressed air, but you touch it and there is a fingerprint which won't go away until you repaint it.

What you can is clean the projector with a microfiber cloth, and of course wash the glass which is the point.

The procedure for getting it back is just the opposite. Heat the headlight again, put the glass on and the clips back.

Should not take more than an hour per headlight if you want to do it properly.

Cheers

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sure...

All you need is a flat screwdriver and an oven.

1. Remove the three clips that hold the glass attached to housing of the headlight.
2. Put the headlight in oven and "bake" it for 7-10 minutes at the lowest temperature, you just want the glue to soften.
3. Take the headlight and slowly start to open the glass as you pry with the screwdriver on those three spots were the clips were. Just do it evenly and it should start slowly popping out from the housing.

I've taken the shiny part just to clean down under, but you don't have to as it's really not necessary. Anyway, DO NOT touch or try to clean the shiny part (reflector). You can maybe blow the dust with compressed air, but you touch it and there is a fingerprint which won't go away until you repaint it.

What you can is clean the projector with a microfiber cloth, and of course wash the glass which is the point.

The procedure for getting it back is just the opposite. Heat the headlight again, put the glass on and the clips back.

Should not take more than an hour per headlight if you want to do it properly.

Cheers
And there is a 'how to' here as well. Some of the additional advice may be useful. I would suggest reading through it all.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
And there is a 'how to' here as well. Some of the additional advice may be useful. I would suggest reading through it all.
I used a hot air gun to gently warm them when I did mine in situ. A hair dryer would probably suffice if you have one which I don’t due to being folically challenged. It means the lights don’t need to be removed and no oven is required which was necessary for me as all the bolts were rusted solid and if I got caught with car parts in the house let alone the oven, the current Mrs N would be wearing my balls as earrings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oil change and a throttle / ecu reset plus a fresh layer of wax followed by a thrash around the derbyshire dales ready for the mot next week.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Changed the cog in the roof cover motor, now working fine. The old one was just worn rather than missing teeth. Then went for a gratuitous top down drive to celebrate!
Booked in for a service and MOT on Wednesday, hopefully all will be well.
Considering putting the car on SORN for the next few months as there seems little point in just driving round in circles if even allowed out. What are others doing?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Mines booked in for MOT next Tuesday, depending on whether it goes in or not may just leave /put back in the garage.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Considering putting the car on SORN for the next few months as there seems little point in just driving round in circles if even allowed out. What are others doing?
Mine left me on Friday, driven off by its happy new owner. I was expecting to be able to go shopping for its replacement, but that's out of the window for the time being. So I'm twiddling my thumbs, and thinking about having a garage clear out and tidy up instead of fiddling with a car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Decided to cancel the MOT and put the car on SORN from the end of the month. This was swiftly followed by the Government announcement that they are suspending MOT testing for 6 months! So saved the cost of the test plus the £28 per month road tax until restrictions are lifted. Will be interesting to see what happens in 6 months when half the eligible cars need testing!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm understanding that announcement to read that "I'm Mot'd for an additional 6mths" so instead of April it will now be October when its due. Either way best contact the garage its booked in with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
New Koni STR shocks and Suplex springs. To match the rear ones added last year. If the improvement is as noticeable as the rears were, I can look forward to a smooth ( for a GTV) riding Alfa. Not tried it yet as I can't justify a non essential journey in my weekend car.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Decided to cancel the MOT and put the car on SORN from the end of the month. This was swiftly followed by the Government announcement that they are suspending MOT testing for 6 months! So saved the cost of the test plus the £28 per month road tax until restrictions are lifted. Will be interesting to see what happens in 6 months when half the eligible cars need testing!
I’m thinking the same thing. The Spider is MOT’d and ready for the summer, but wont get used. We live a bit away from the shops, so will just use the Gulietta once a week for the big shop. Thats due an MOT next month, but will take advantage of the MOT roll over as that wont get much use. Might use the warmer conditions in the garage to do some more jobs on the Spider. How easy will it be to get parts though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Replaced the knackered old spring pan I found last week.Spring pans, top hats, bump stops and buffers should be good for a few years now. The dogleg bearings felt pretty worn - but they're simple enough to replace

Also replaced the rear shocks as they were odd. One was about 5mm longer at full extension that the other and also I'd guess 30% stiffer - not ideal.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Been doing various jobs to my 2005 JTS Spider in preparation for it being taxed again on 1st April.
Oil and filter change done. Still to do a brake overhaul. Discs good, but will remove, clean and re-build all 4 calipers. Got seal kits and new pistons.
Cosmetically I've change the gear stick and hand brake gaiters. The original faux leather items were looking pretty tatty. Got real leather replacements from here:-

The items are really good, but dealing with them wasn't so good.

The gear stick gaiter is easy to change. Just unclip the metal frame that pinches the gaiter in place. Fit the new one and replace the frame.
The hand brake one is a bit trickier. It's glued into a plastic frame. Took a bit of removing before I used gel super glue to fit the replacement.

Think they look pretty good.

Attachments

1701 - 1719 of 1719 Posts