Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1719 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow that's a lot, mine was pretty clean.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I know! I couldn't believe how bad it was. I suspect the scuttle has never been removed in the 20 years the car's been around. Drainage channels underneath the scuttle were clogged up too so cleaned them out.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I know! I couldn't believe how bad it was. I suspect the scuttle has never been removed in the 20 years the car's been around. Drainage channels underneath the scuttle were clogged up too so cleaned them out.
Good work

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
That is amazing.... Well worth doing..... How easy is it to remove the scuttle panal?
The scuttle is in 2 halves. The passenger side (UK car) is easy as there's no need to remove the wiper. Think it was 2 or 3 torx screws and 1 Phillips screw that needed undone. There are white plastic clips attached to the underside of the scuttle which clip into the body. Carefully work along the top edge (where scuttle overlaps the the windscreen) pulling the scuttle up to unclip it. Once the clips are out you can slide the passenger side out and pull it off. Driver side is essentially the same process but you need to remove the wiper arms for that side.

The red circles in the photo show where 2 of the white plastic clips on the underside of the passenger side scuttle clip into. The 2 green circles show the holes where 2 of the torx screws go into.
IMG_20200307_135818990~3.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are there any seals that need to be broken... It does sit on the bottom of windscreen right?
Yeah it sits on the bottom of the windscreen, however there's no seals that need to be broken. The rubber edge on the scuttle panel overlaps the windscreen and just sits on top, but not actually sealed to it.

If yours is anything like mine, there are parts of the rubber edge of the scuttle that sit proud of the windscreen and don't touch it. From what I've read on here, there are 2 schools of thought...
1. If there is a gap, seal it so water can't get in.
2. Don't seal it - it's to stop larger debris getting in, not water. If water gets between the windscreen and scuttle, it'll hit the large black plastic tray and run off down the drainage tubes.

I don't know which is correct.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Finished fitting a replacement electric aerial after the original packed up over winter. Now have radio reception again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeah it sits on the bottom of the windscreen, however there's no seals that need to be broken. The rubber edge on the scuttle panel overlaps the windscreen and just sits on top, but not actually sealed to it.

If yours is anything like mine, there are parts of the rubber edge of the scuttle that sit proud of the windscreen and don't touch it. From what I've read on here, there are 2 schools of thought...
1. If there is a gap, seal it so water can't get in.
2. Don't seal it - it's to stop larger debris getting in, not water. If water gets between the windscreen and scuttle, it'll hit the large black plastic tray and run off down the drainage tubes.

I don't know which is correct.
Hmmmm great explanation. I guess if the drainage channel is clear OK but the scuttle seal will need to be tight to keep debris out..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Front disks and pads for the third time in as many years :(. Having recently having my suspicions about distorted hub flanges confirmed, the hub flanges (along with the wheel bearings) were replaced a few weeks ago. Brake judder was just as bad however hence the disk swap. I'm hoping that replacement of all these items will prevent me having to replace them again. MOT next week and there's a mysterious rear end clonk that I hope the tester will find.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Rear bump stops & top hats today. Repalcing old with stainless ones.

It all came apart easily enough but here's what came out of the nearside. The top hat was held in shape only by the powder coat.

Then I found this too.

So that's going in the bin then....I'll bite the bullet and buy new.

1681 - 1700 of 1719 Posts