Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1641 - 1658 of 1658 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
V6. I hadn't used it for a month or two and it did get bit better after a few miles but after reading a number of threads on here I thought it would be worth trying the new bushes. TBH the old ones weren't too bad, and there wasn't the corrosion that a couple of other people have found.
Cool. I've the top hat bushes on 2.0 TS 147 and sorted the problem. Where did you get the bushes from, was it easy to do?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Cool. I've the top hat bushes on 2.0 TS 147 and sorted the problem. Where did you get the bushes from, was it easy to do?
I bought them from Autolusso and yes, it was pretty easy. Remove air intake pipe to improve access. Pop the linkage ball joint apart, undo the nut on the bolt, take off the bits located under the nut and then tap the bolt through and out. The old top hats come out easily with a small screwdriver or similar. I put them back in with plenty of silicone spray lube.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Put on 6th layer of wax on 'Rovero' 1 x mer 4 x poorboys canuba wax 1 x Maguires detailer and 1 x mer.... Looking stunning shame to take it out... Fitted badge to rear parcel shelf😎

·
Registered
155 Posts
New disks and pads fitted yesterday (Std Brembo disks and Ferodo DS Performance Pads) Someone previously had put new pads on corroded disks which then ate the pads, why do people do that ? New pads will not clean heavy corrosion and you end up with 2/3 of a working disc.

The shims in the callipers had a bit of corrosion under them and the screws we not coming out in a hurry so I had to fettle the pads a bit to get them to fit.

Someone else had put the calliper bolts in without any anti galling paste which meant one of them brought half the calliper thread out with it. Thanks to whoever that was for making a 2 hour job into 4...

Feel, progression and bit all now much improved once they've bedded in we'll see if the hard pedal from high speed I had before goes away or if I really do need to replace the servo

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
New disks and pads fitted yesterday (Std Brembo disks and Ferodo DS Performance Pads) Someone previously had put new pads on corroded disks which then ate the pads, why do people do that ? New pads will not clean heavy corrosion and you end up with 2/3 of a working disc.
View attachment 931679
The shims in the callipers had a bit of corrosion under them and the screws we not coming out in a hurry so I had to fettle the pads a bit to get them to fit.

Someone else had put the calliper bolts in without any anti galling paste which meant one of them brought half the calliper thread out with it. Thanks to whoever that was for making a 2 hour job into 4...

Feel, progression and bit all now much improved once they've bedded in we'll see if the hard pedal from high speed I had before goes away or if I really do need to replace the servo
Do they squeel at all....

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I fitted new top hat bushes to the gear change linkage to hopefully cure the reluctance of the gear lever to self-centre. It seems to have worked but I haven't test driven it yet.

I also fitted the Totally Alfa repair section to the fuse box lid as I was fed up with the lid flapping at the front. Its a nice piece of kit which replaces the broken hooks on the front of the lid, and good value at ca. £8. As well as the metal section it includes the epoxy resin, alcohol wipe, mixer stick and instructions needed.
Just to update this, the top hat bushes and clean-up made all the difference. I took the car out for a drive yesterday and the gear change is nice and slick again. It was also very satisfying to not have the fuse box lid gaping open.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Just to update this, the top hat bushes and clean-up made all the difference. I took the car out for a drive yesterday and the gear change is nice and slick again. It was also very satisfying to not have the fuse box lid gaping open.
I've got some top hats, just needs to stop raining now.

·
Administrator
86,439 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Was on Sunday but I completed my 24V timing belt service using a very helpful video from Italia Autos. Struggled a bit with space since I did it with the engine in situ but I am extremely happy that I was able to save myself the labour costs and learn about my engine.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Fitted sound deadening in Rovero in the rear whilst it is stripped out ready for new sound system...... Doubt if it will get much use though as I like the busso music best.... Its got the full works, grunts, snarls and grwls in cold dry weather, through to full Renee Fleming from 3500 rpm when he's up to tempreture... 😀

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Just to try and refit rear wheel arch liners after my preventative checks and maintenance for sills and rear arches. See thread for more. Sill Cover Removal
4EF6362B-96B1-4F2E-9D63-3FBE4E25E99F.jpeg

Feels like mission creep, normal I think with Alfa’s however gettingto know more about car.

1641 - 1658 of 1658 Posts