Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What have you done to your 916 today?

307944 Views 3496 Replies 268 Participants Last post by  tenuta
Many of the models on here have a ''What did you do to your .......today'' thought it might be interesting here for our beloved 916s.

I'll start the ball rolling.

I have a Busso Spider and she was due an annual service:

1. Changed the oil and filter
2. Put a foam Pipercross (lifetime) filter in to replace the old paper job.
3. Flushed out and replaced the coolant
4. Replaced the thermostat. For sometime I thought that she didn't run hot enough, particulalrly noticeable in the winter months. And sure enough the 'stat was open very slightly, about 3 mil. She now warms up quicker and runs hotter.

All in all a good days work :)
3421 - 3440 of 3497 Posts

· Registered
2003 916 Spider 2.0 JTS
159 Posts
Swapped the battery over on mine, while I was at it fitted some CTEK pigtails.

Mine hasn’t moved much for quite a few months, getting continuous throttle body/potentiometer errors. Have a throttle body ready to go on, trying to work out how to remove the old one as whoever messed with it last broke off part of the electrical release clip (on the underside) and somehow put the jubilee clip to the air box on upside down. Anyone have a bendy screwdriver to hand?

· Registered
4,452 Posts
A big day for me - rear subframe back on. The hard work continues but getting closer to a moving car again!

View attachment 981810
Does taking the rear bumper off make it easier to get the subframe back on? Any hints or tips for getting it on?

· Registered
117 Posts
Does taking the rear bumper off make it easier to get the subframe back on? Any hints or tips for getting it on?
I can't comment on whether bumper on or off is easier as I have only done it with it off! I don't see why having it on would be a show stopper, it just makes access underneath a smidge more difficult. If you have got as far as you have with your resto you should be OK.

My tip/method is wedge a plank of wood between the front two frame "rails" (as you can see) to make jacking it a bit more stable. It meant I could jack it a bit further backwards from the centre rail, as the centre of gravity is quite far back. A spare pair of hands makes manoeuvring it all a lot easier. Get one side lined up and bolts in, then the other. From this picture to having it bolted up took less than an hour.

Best of luck.

· Registered
4,452 Posts
I can't comment on whether bumper on or off is easier as I have only done it with it off! I don't see why having it on would be a show stopper, it just makes access underneath a smidge more difficult. If you have got as far as you have with your resto you should be OK.

My tip/method is wedge a plank of wood between the front two frame "rails" (as you can see) to make jacking it a bit more stable. It meant I could jack it a bit further backwards from the centre rail, as the centre of gravity is quite far back. A spare pair of hands makes manoeuvring it all a lot easier. Get one side lined up and bolts in, then the other. From this picture to having it bolted up took less than an hour.

Best of luck.
Many thanks… I’ll probably take the rear bumper off just to see what horrors are lurking underneath and replace it with an Autodelta one I’ve got in the garage if I can get it sprayed in time.

Very impressed with your colour coordinated rear shocks and trolley jack.

· Registered
122 Posts
Got on with the rear inner arches today, as there’s no patch panels it was a case of making up the panels from sheet steel

With some metal shaping, welding and fettling

Finally

Once the old metalwork has been cut out the panel was shaped a little more and trimmed to fit

Then onto the rear of the rear arch

Same again, make up the flat panels, shape them and them tack them together

Again, offer up, trim and then tack into place, it was at this point I ran out of welding gas!! So worked stopped for the day.

Not bad for 8 hours work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,569 Posts
Finally fitted p3 red momo seats to the p3 3.2 gtv... Yippeeee! Now I will be able to see when traffic lights go from red to green and stop being toothed at from the car behind for taking too much time...... Being 6ft 2 the p3 seats fit me like a glove😊
This means I have a full set of red leather p2 seats for sale. They are in excellent condition and have been cleaned and regularly treated with leather balm and protector. Always have towel on driver seat to protect.
If interested then let me know.

· Registered
117 Posts
Nice work @jayw

I have been doing similar myself. This weekend was the last bit, a quick and dirty fill and paint job on the wing, as a stop gap until I can get the car to a proper body shop. Not the right shade, but at least it's silver!!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Wood Gas Automotive lighting Flooring Automotive exterior

Edit: weird, that picture is flagged as "sensitive content, 18+ only"... my bodywork skills aren't that bad are they?! 😭🤣

· Registered
117 Posts
Did some laptop spanner-ing! Managed to reset the airbag light easy enough, but connecting to anything else (just out of curiosity) seems a bit dodgey. Sometimes it finds it, but won't connect, then it won't find it at all etc. etc.

Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering part Speedometer

· Registered
8,923 Posts
Nice work @jayw

I have been doing similar myself. This weekend was the last bit, a quick and dirty fill and paint job on the wing, as a stop gap until I can get the car to a proper body shop. Not the right shade, but at least it's silver!!

View attachment 982137

Edit: weird, that picture is flagged as "sensitive content, 18+ only"... my bodywork skills aren't that bad are they?! 😭🤣
Oddly it shows when I do a reply.
Perhaps the warning ought to be ‘not recommended for those of a nervous disposition’.

· Registered
1,569 Posts
Just curious: in which way are Phase3 Seats different?
The p3 seats are lower slung, have a different styling, go further back and height adjustable head rest. The seats seem to grip the body better so less roll when cornering. The plastics are 'pure black' which featured on p3 interior dash, Although not very visually noticeable from a novice perspective., there is quite a difference.
I would sum up by saying p3 seats are move of a 'drivers seat'.
The downside 8s that p3 seats do not have the Alfa logo stamped into the hack rests🙄🍀🍀

· Registered
452 Posts
Rare… I found these electric seats in Blue Style leather in Germany some years ago. (My 3.0 24V is Blue Style) Went the next weekend to pick them up.
also saw them once in tobacco leather in a swiss car. Beautiful…

· Registered
1,569 Posts
Nice ! Mine (Azzurro Nuvola) also has the rear spoiler. It’s a Ph2
Azzurro Nuvola with blue style sounds stunning. I can see it cruising through Nice in summer. A rare beauty indeed. My Spider is a p2 ts with red interior, not red style. She is cf2 w reg with 44k on clock. I am desperately looking for red p3 spider seats to swap out..... 🍀🍀🍀

3421 - 3440 of 3497 Posts