Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What have you done to your 916 today?

307955 Views 3496 Replies 268 Participants Last post by  tenuta
Many of the models on here have a ''What did you do to your .......today'' thought it might be interesting here for our beloved 916s.

I'll start the ball rolling.

I have a Busso Spider and she was due an annual service:

1. Changed the oil and filter
2. Put a foam Pipercross (lifetime) filter in to replace the old paper job.
3. Flushed out and replaced the coolant
4. Replaced the thermostat. For sometime I thought that she didn't run hot enough, particulalrly noticeable in the winter months. And sure enough the 'stat was open very slightly, about 3 mil. She now warms up quicker and runs hotter.

All in all a good days work :)
3381 - 3400 of 3497 Posts

· Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
382 Posts
I think what @cARloTB is saying is that your sensor will be reading the engine's best pressure. Depending whether it is on the feed to or return from the cooler it will read the maximum pre- or post- cooler pressure.
If you want to read what the engine's oil pressure condition is, he is suggesting read it in the 'worst' location where it will be the lowest.

In an ideal world you'd read it at the filter housing (i.e. directly off the oil pump) and at the cylinder head with some high tech output of impending doom.

· Registered
338 Posts
I think what @cARloTB is saying is that your sensor will be reading the engine's best pressure. Depending whether it is on the feed to or return from the cooler it will read the maximum pre- or post- cooler pressure.
If you want to read what the engine's oil pressure condition is, he is suggesting read it in the 'worst' location where it will be the lowest.

In an ideal world you'd read it at the filter housing (i.e. directly off the oil pump) and at the cylinder head with some high tech output of impending doom.

But also a pressure which can be influenced by the oil thermostat which block one pipe to the oil cooler off when cold (if it still works).

· Registered
117 Posts
Picked at lots of scabby rusty bits, wire brushed, then rust treated them. Finally making progress underneath.

The PO paid a garage to sort out the underside shortly before selling the car... like most garages they did a half arsed job and just sprayed over the dirt and rust so it was all blistering up and nasty looking. I am trying to be a bit more thorough.

I can never decide if I should put a primer on after rust converter, or go straight to underseal. Thoughts?

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Fender

· Registered
267 Posts
Picked at lots of scabby rusty bits, wire brushed, then rust treated them. Finally making progress underneath.

The PO paid a garage to sort out the underside shortly before selling the car... like most garages they did a half arsed job and just sprayed over the dirt and rust so it was all blistering up and nasty looking. I am trying to be a bit more thorough.

I can never decide if I should put a primer on after rust converter, or go straight to underseal. Thoughts?
I've gone for primer after rust converter. Main reason is that it's taking me a long time to do the underside, so at least I can tackle it in sections and protect the bare metal bits whilst working on the rest. I'm planning to use Bilt Hamber epoxy mastic to protect the underside.

· Registered
122 Posts
So whilst I’m waiting to get back under the car I though I would have a play with the coil pack cover.

It was a bit rough so it needed wire wheeling to get rid of the built up crud

Etch primer done

I’ve gone for satin Matt black

If the wife sees this there could be trouble!!!

After 30 mins it was nice and warm

That was a quick clean up with some 300 grit, now got to finish the fins and work on with some finer grade paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
775 Posts
So whilst I’m waiting to get back under the car I though I would have a play with the coil pack cover.

It was a bit rough so it needed wire wheeling to get rid of the built up crud

Etch primer done

I’ve gone for satin Matt black

If the wife sees this there could be trouble!!!

After 30 mins it was nice and warm

That was a quick clean up with some 300 grit, now got to finish the fins and work on with some finer grade paper

· Registered
122 Posts
Nice - you doing the other bank as well?
Yes, the engine is coming out over wintertime and the whole engine is being cleaned, the rocker covers, plenum, fuel rails and inlet are all being painted silver or Matt black

Reactions: markymarkspider

· Registered
4,452 Posts
Treated a replacement front bumper bracket for rust after soaking in vinegar for a week. I’ll paint it tomorrow and get it on the car next weekend. I also started rebuilding a new rear subframe for the Spider (see separate thread for more details).
Table Drinkware Tableware Blue Purple
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Bumper Automotive exterior

· Registered
267 Posts
That looks great. Did you brush it on? How long did it take to cure?
Thanks! Yeah I brushed it on. The finish isn't great (you can see brush marks with it being quite thick) so ideally I should have thinned it down, but I didn't have any xylene thinners. I applied it 4pm one day and it was fully cured when I checked at 11am the next day. I noticed when putting it on it did seem to be drying pretty quick - the bits I did first at the front of the car were only slightly tacky by the time I got towards the rear of the car.

· Registered
4,452 Posts
Last coat of paint on a replacement front bumper bracket (and a pair of flower pots for my rear suspension refurb). Just need to let it dry and pack it with grease before fitting with new stainless bolts. It’s only brush painted with Hammerite but the finish is better than it appears in the photo… seems the iPhone camera isn’t as good as Apple claim.
Wood Flooring Gas Drink Machine

Reactions: markymarkspider

· Registered
4,452 Posts
Did a few little jobs on the GTV today… replaced an exhaust gasket as I forgot to buy a new one when I fitted Alfaholics downpipes and fitted new fire rings on the manifold to downpipe but I’m not overly impressed so will probably try making a gasket instead. Found the source of a rattle in the shape of a damaged heatshield that’s now removed and replaced a missing exhaust hanger. I also found a couple of bolts on the rear engine mount that were loose so hopefully that will sort out the issues I’ve had in that department.

· Registered
4,452 Posts
Spider failed its MOT today… needs a wishbone and the handbrake adjusting so not too bad.

· Registered
4,452 Posts
GTV hit 160000 miles…
Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Gauge

· Registered
122 Posts
I’ve been digging around in the rear wheel arches [emoji22]

This is going to be a nightmare to weld up

3381 - 3400 of 3497 Posts