Alfa Romeo Forum banner

2561 - 2580 of 2599 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Spent a couple of hours trying to get the hub nut undone before admitting defeat and starting on a fridge full of Peroni and Moretti instead.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Yesterday I managed to knock the interior mirror off the windscreen.:mad:
I glued the metal wedge onto the windscreen but would the mirror slide on? Of course it wouldn’t. There’s a spring-loaded ball on the mirror that matches to an indent on the metal wedge and not wanting to use real force what I did was to retract the ball back into the mount, there are a couple of barbs that prevent the ball coming out, so with the ball pressed in I was able to insert the key (some of you may recognise what it’s for) between the mount and the barbs. Then with a slight twist of the key he mirror slid into place and the key pulled out leaving the mirror secured to the windscreen.

13796A7E-7C8B-4D2E-8BF7-74FFF48CF451.jpeg

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yesterday I managed to knock the interior mirror off the windscreen.:mad:
I glued the metal wedge onto the windscreen but would the mirror slide on? Of course it wouldn’t. There’s a spring-loaded ball on the mirror that matches to an indent on the metal wedge and not wanting to use real force what I did was to retract the ball back into the mount, there are a couple of barbs that prevent the ball coming out, so with the ball pressed in I was able to insert the key (some of you may recognise what it’s for) between the mount and the barbs. Then with a slight twist of the key he mirror slid into place and the key pulled out leaving the mirror secured to the windscreen.

View attachment 954279
And you didn’t know that! I thought everyone knew! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Epoxy resin, slow cure, and Gorilla tape to attach the metal wedge to the windscreen after cleaning with propanone done late yesterday. Attached mirror this a.m. so imbibed alcohol not needed. I might have a beer later.
Satire doesn’t come across very well on AO it’s so rare!

Key was for one of those old telescopic aerials found on cars. Why I still had it on a key ring I really don’t know but it was what was needed.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Changed the oil on the Spider... dead easy using a vacuum pump.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Changed the oil on the Spider... dead easy using a vacuum pump.

View attachment 954340
Looks interesting. I never do more than 2-3 k a year in my GTV so the oil is never dirty when I change it once a year, so that could be a quick and simple oil change.

A few questions

What make it the extractor and do you remember the approximate cost?

Does it go into the dip stick hole for extraction?

What percentage of the oil does it get out?

I always change the oil filter too but is that necessary on a yearly basis with such low mileage?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Looks interesting. I never do more than 2-3 k a year in my GTV so the oil is never dirty when I change it once a year, so that could be a quick and simple oil change.

A few questions

What make it the extractor and do you remember the approximate cost?

Does it go into the dip stick hole for extraction?

What percentage of the oil does it get out?

I always change the oil filter too but is that necessary on a yearly basis with such low mileage?
I’ve had the pump a while. It was about £30 on eBay I think. I’ll try and find a link. I’ve had cheaper ones but they never last. It comes with a variety of different sized tubes. I’ve used it to get oil out of the gear box too. The tube goes straight into the dip stick hole...

And it gets out just over 4 litres plus a bit in the oil filter so probably at least 90%. The top ring is the 4 litre mark. I’ve never actually measured how much comes out draining via the sump plug so it would be interesting to compare. I’m guessing a small amount will always get stuck in the engine.

Personally I would change the oil filter every year, especially since it’s not an expensive part to fit. I change it every oil change.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I’ve used it to get oil out of the gear box too
A question I was just about to ask and just seen the answer 👍 I’m planning to do mine at some point as I can remove the fill plug easy but not the drain plug.

I got a vacuum pump extractor earlier this year and used it to drain the coolant on my Ford Ka I use for work it worked a treat.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
A question I was just about to ask and just seen the answer 👍 I’m planning to do mine at some point as I can remove the fill plug easy but not the drain plug.

I got a vacuum pump extractor earlier this year and used it to drain the coolant on my Ford Ka I use for work it worked a treat.
On a Twinnie there’s the drain plug (mine did not want to come out), fill plug and IIRC the reversing light switch that comes out to indicate how full it needs to be. I got about 1.5 litres out and the capacity I think is 2 litres so most but not all of the gearbox oil. Drain the oil then fill slowly until oil comes out of the reverse light switch hole, replace the plugs and switch then drive off smuggly enjoying silky smooth gear changes.

Reactions: Space Cowboy

·
Registered
240 Posts
On a Twinnie there’s the drain plug (mine did not want to come out), fill plug and IIRC the reversing light switch that comes out to indicate how full it needs to be. I got about 1.5 litres out and the capacity I think is 2 litres so most but not all of the gearbox oil. Drain the oil then fill slowly until oil comes out of the reverse light switch hole, replace the plugs and switch then drive off smuggly enjoying silky smooth gear changes.
Thanks for the info 👍 I’ll give it a go

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just for info, Using these pumps is pretty much normal practice on boats with inboard engines as the sump plug isn't accessible. So not going to been an issue using one, this is what is used to suck out the oil out of my 5.0L V8 MerCruiser.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’ve had the pump a while. It was about £30 on eBay I think. I’ll try and find a link. I’ve had cheaper ones but they never last. It comes with a variety of different sized tubes. I’ve used it to get oil out of the gear box too. The tube goes straight into the dip stick hole...

View attachment 954382
And it gets out just over 4 litres plus a bit in the oil filter so probably at least 90%. The top ring is the 4 litre mark. I’ve never actually measured how much comes out draining via the sump plug so it would be interesting to compare. I’m guessing a small amount will always get stuck in the engine.
View attachment 954383
Personally I would change the oil filter every year, especially since it’s not an expensive part to fit. I change it every oil change.
Was this on a twinnie or v6 just wondering how hard oil filter is to remove on v6 👍

·
Registered
730 Posts
Was this on a twinnie or v6 just wondering how hard oil filter is to remove on v6 👍
As long as you've not got hands the size of frisbees, you can get a filter strap wrench effort in and over the filter from below. And then wind the filter off (and new one on, natch) too. Have done it this way on my GTV TB quite happily.

Though I suspect it may be a bit of a bugger if you are, err, a powerlifter or 'big boned'.

·
Registered
235 Posts
As long as you've not got hands the size of frisbees, you can get a filter strap wrench effort in and over the filter from below. And then wind the filter off (and new one on, natch) too. Have done it this way on my GTV TB quite happily.

Though I suspect it may be a bit of a bugger if you are, err, a powerlifter or 'big boned'.
Would recommend disconnecting the battery as it’s easy to touch the alternator terminal with the wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
It was a Twinnie... the oil filter is really easy to get to. Not too sure about the V6.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The V6 Oil filter is at the back of the engine above the alternator on the drivers side, it’s high up and not easy to get to with shovel hands. I was able to change mine with rubber gloves for traction and twist anti clock to remove, maybe I was fortunate that the filter may have not been on for a long time

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Finally managed to get my hub nut off with the aid of a rather large impact driver and changed a driveshaft as the CV joints we’re getting a bit noisy. Turned into a bit of an epic as I had to take the strut out and one of the bolts holding it on the hub carrier didn’t want to come out. Much better now but I’ve got a feeling that the other side is going to need doing at some point.

Reactions: Phase3dude
2561 - 2580 of 2599 Posts