Alfa Romeo Forum banner

2541 - 2560 of 2599 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Investigated clattering from exhaust at idle, suspecting the underfloor catalytic converter. On removal, sure enough one of the cats has rattling innards.

After some investigation, have sourced a new one from Totally Alfa - thanks to Gary for a quick response to the query and to Dan at Wizard/Autolusso for some advice on potential future options for the rest of the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yesterday - at least - I picked up an old sheddy Volvo estate that I can potter around with whilst I sort the suspension out on my GTV.

Equally - don't want to be doing the 50 mile round trip commute in the Alfa in the long term

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ordered decat manifold from totally alfa for 3.2 gtv 'Florence'. She has Ferrari F430 throttle body, carbon fibre plenum and ss sports exhaust. Lets see how she goes with her chastity belt off...... Will she need a remap though... 🍀

·
Registered
235 Posts
Investigated clattering from exhaust at idle, suspecting the underfloor catalytic converter. On removal, sure enough one of the cats has rattling innards.

After some investigation, have sourced a new one from Totally Alfa - thanks to Gary for a quick response to the query and to Dan at Wizard/Autolusso for some advice on potential future options for the rest of the system.

New cat from Totally Alfa arrived yesterday, including new bolts, gaskets and fire ring. All fitted to the car this afternoon so back to a non-rattling exhaust, but a bit too quiet. Need to save pennies for the rest of the system.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
On way back from family holiday in beautiful North Devon so popped in to Totally Alfa to collect decat manifold and gasket for p3 v6...... 😁🍀 Great holiday, sunny weather, beautiful countryside, lovely farm fresh food, scones and cream, topped off with decat manifold....... Does it get any better than that? 🍀😎

·
Registered
444 Posts
After removing the hood and the hydraulics from the car and giving the hydraulics a good clean, I wanted to check the system for leaks before fitting it all back into a nice clean car and then discovering any leaks.
On friday I made a basic test jig with switches to work the pump and the six solenoid valves, and with leds which light for the four limit switches on the left hand rams. After topping up the tank with new fluid, it sort of worked yesterday, and after a few cycles had bled itself of air and worked much better with no leaks. The 12v 10A power supply just about coped.
IMG_3691a.JPG IMG_3692a.JPG img121.jpg
The longer pipes to the right hand rams take longer to bleed, and holding the rams upside down when compressing or right way up when extending helps the air come out better than leaving them horizontal.

I had previously found a problem with one of the two bolts holding the mounting plate (with the four rubber mountings) to the pump base, as it fouled the lip of the grey painted system base. The rear rubber mount also fouled the lip further round on the base. I've cut out sections of the system base to allow for better fitting (see pictures).
The two large washers between the mounting plate and the pump base (first picture) are to allow the tank to sit easily on the rear rubber mount, otherwise there is quite a bit of compression force on the tank when it sits lower without the washers.
IMG_20210509_131909.jpg IMG_20210509_132015.jpg

The pump now sounds much quieter when running.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Procrastination paid off, I didn’t get around to fitting the plastic black one and then found one in the same colour from a car on it’s why to the scrapyard.

Didn’t expect I’d need to remove the whole door card just to access the 3rd bolt. The sun was shining and sense of achievement increased though.

0525F640-CCD9-4F6B-A195-BDEA1AA1AE73.jpeg

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
It is just possible to get to that third Allen screw and undo it using a ball-ended Allen key. Problem then is to not drop it, then the door trim does need to be removed (or a replacement used and the original left to lie in the bottom of the door).

·
Registered
534 Posts
It is just possible to get to that third Allen screw and undo it using a ball-ended Allen key. Problem then is to not drop it, then the door trim does need to be removed (or a replacement used and the original left to lie in the bottom of the door).
I should have posted before I started ;) Although if it’s anything like changing the headlight bulbs on my Giulietta then I would drop it ;)
It did cross my mind that another tool could get the bolt off but my toolbox isn’t too equipped yet but happy to use the Matika driver again, when will the battery die ;)

·
Registered
740 Posts
What cost “J”, in the event that my hoses don’t come off cleanly? They look Pukka!
They were £70 the pair BUT I sent Hydrahose the right-angle fittings from the TotallyAlfa simple hose kit - apparently the threads are an unusual size. I'm sure Hydrahose could have sourced them, but this saved some time and £££.

Reactions: Anticlockwise

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cars been missing on idle recently, I'm booked I to see Dan @Autolusso on Thursday, wanting to get belts waterpump & plugs etc all done and a persistent coolant leak looked at before a driving holiday around NADS.

Was at a bit of a loose end this weekend with the other half working and it's over an hour to Dan's. So plugged in Multiecu scan, got a clean bill of health, so decided to looks at the plugs/coil packs, and see if I could improve things before the 70 mile drive.

cf3 rear banks are a bit of a pain aren't they. Anyway a couple of the spark plug holes had dirt/sand inside them at the base and dried gunk of some sort. No oil or coolant tho.

So without removing the spark plug have cleaned the holes & the contact for the spark plugs. Cylinder 3's plug looks a bit rusty at the base but putting things back together and it's noticeably better but still not quite right. Hoping that maybe the plugs are on the way out, not sure when they were last done, belts are due in about 6-12 months, so it's better to be safe than sorry....

·
Registered
762 Posts
Had the bandaged centre silencer replaced with the vgc one donated by Philcrazy (thanks again). Whilst Spider was up in the air it had an oil & filter change as-well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Had the cambelt changed, front drop links replaced plus a service and MOT (passed with no advisories!). Work done very reasonably by Kevin at Sussex Alfa.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Managed to knock the rear-view mirror off the windscreen. I’ve used epoxy resin, slow cure, to reattach the metal wedge part. I’ll check on it tomorrow.

2541 - 2560 of 2599 Posts